fbsplash problems with 2.6.12-gentoo-r4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: fbsplash problems with 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 Reply with quote

I use sys-kernel/gentoo-sources and I have a running framebuffer which functions very well. My current kernel version is 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 and everything works fine. I made yesterday an update and sys-kernel/gentoo-sources were updated to 2.6.12-gentoo-r4. Actually I copy the .config file from the last running kernel, then execute "make oldconfig && make && make modules_install". I always update my kernel in that way and I haven't had any problems since now.

As I restarted my computer with the new kernel the framebuffer didn't function as it should. The resolution was changed but the background picture (I use the emergence theme) wasn't loaded. And then I saw that I get some wired theme name while loading it.

I restarted my computer with my old kernel (2.6.11-gentoo-r11) and I get:

Code:

Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
Can't open file /etc/splash/emergence/
1280x1024.cfg
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence
'
Couldn't load font file
Couldn't load 34 pt font from (null)

fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xd000000, using 5120k, total 32768k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device

But if I restart with the new kernel (2.6.12-gentoo-r4) then I get this:

Code:

Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
Can't open file /etc/splash/emergence/
·@¢Ü@(and some other wired characters)1280x1024.cfg
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence·@¢·(and some other wired characters)
'
Failed to load image (null)
Couldn't load font file
Couldn't load 0 pt font from (null)

FBIOSPLASH_SETPIC failed, error code 515
Hint: are you calling 'setpic' for the current virtual console?
FBIOSPLASH_SETSTATE failed, error code 22
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xd000000, using 5120k, total 32768k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device

I use the same configuration and that's why I cannot understand why this happens, and I think it has something to do with the wired characters that are inserted (from whom?) between /etc/splash/emergence/ and 1280x1024.cfg. I don't know what to do, I reconfigured this part and tried some other options, but it didn't help.

The first time I used this docu: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash

does somebody know what's going on?

Thanks.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problems.. At the moment I'm using the 2.6.11-r11 kernel because the 2.6.12-r4 gives me problems with the hsf softmodem driver.. Btw, read this topic, it can help you very much, I think:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-351048-highlight-.html

There are things like adding "quiet" to the kernel arguments that solved the problem to some of us ;-)

Bye!
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's a very interesting thread.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
jecouch66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:

In regards to the problem of "Couldn't load font" I believe have an answer. If you are having the problem with the emergence theme. I had this problem myself even after I corrected all the other issues. After some investigation, I found that if I added text_font=luxisri.ttf to the config file, copied luxisri.ttf from /etc/splash to /etc/splash/emergence, and then re-ran splash_geninitramfs for that theme, the "Couldn't load font" issue went away.

I also noticed that when I ran other themes, they all worked. In everyone that worked, the font was specified in the theme and located in the themes directory. I say for all, but I only had 3....but still it did work.

I LOVE The Lord of the Rings. The books I mean. I really enjoyed the movies too, since I didn't try to compare. But the books are AWESOME. Been reading them since I was in 6th grade....
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jecouch66 wrote:
pablo_supertux wrote:

In regards to the problem of "Couldn't load font" I believe have an answer. If you are having the problem with the emergence theme. I had this problem myself even after I corrected all the other issues. After some investigation, I found that if I added text_font=luxisri.ttf to the config file, copied luxisri.ttf from /etc/splash to /etc/splash/emergence, and then re-ran splash_geninitramfs for that theme, the "Couldn't load font" issue went away.

I also noticed that when I ran other themes, they all worked. In everyone that worked, the font was specified in the theme and located in the themes directory. I say for all, but I only had 3....but still it did work.

I LOVE The Lord of the Rings. The books I mean. I really enjoyed the movies too, since I didn't try to compare. But the books are AWESOME. Been reading them since I was in 6th grade....

I dn't think that this is a great problem, because I always have this error message, but I will try to fix like you say.

Yeah, I love them, too. I've already read every book about Middelearth, I want to buy "the last two" (Lost Tales) and I didn't have too much time and not so much money to buy them. I didn't think that I would like a book in that way I like Tolkien books. I must admit, that the other books, Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales are my favourits.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
hjnenc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jecouch66, this worked for me too. However, I did not copy the font but just specify the full path in the config file. The interesting lines in /etc/splash/emergence/1280x1024.cfg are now:
Code:
text_size=34
text_color=0xeef4ff
text_font=/etc/splash/luxisri.ttf

Then I rebuilt the initrd with
Code:
splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 emergence

and it worked.
jecouch66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjnenc wrote:
However, I did not copy the font but just specify the full path in the config file. The interesting lines in /etc/splash/emergence/1280x1024.cfg are now:
Code:
text_size=34
text_color=0xeef4ff
text_font=/etc/splash/luxisri.ttf

You're welcome. I suppose that just allowing it to know where the font is is the answer. I changed my text_size to text_size=24 because I though it was too big the way it was. I like it better.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled splash_utils with the new kernel and rebuild the initrd and then it functions very well.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: