XF86Config and mouse question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkbrace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: XF86Config and mouse question Reply with quote

I'm having problems getting my intelli mouse going with xfree and gentoo. It's a standard ps2 mouse except my mobo's ps2 port is dead so I attached it via a ps2->serial adapter to the serial port. I tried using /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS4 but none have worked yet. I've tried catting /dev/mouse, etc etc etc...no response. Whenever the kernel loads it detects various things which sound like a mouse on /dev/ttyS00 but I don't have a ttyS00 in the /dev directory.
Should I figure out how to make a dev and go for that (well, try harder... :oops: ) or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, I did search the forum a bit before asking this, so if it's been rehashed a thousand times or is unbelievably simple, a link somewhere would be great.
Thanks.
tukem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have effectively changed your mouse into serial mouse have you checked you have serial mouse support compiled into kernel.
On my other machine with serial mouse I have "Character devices"->"Standard/generic serial support" set to Y. In XF86Config I had ttyS0.
darkbrace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Kernel does have serial supp compiled in Reply with quote

But still no luck...
I tried going through and setting XF86Config to /dev/ttyS0, S1, S2, S4 which are all the ttyS* devices in my /dev. I'mthe going insane here using nothing but console. :( From the looks of things I might have to just go out and buy a new mobo or something...but that seems like an awful lot of overkill just to use a mouse.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't go buy a new mobo, you just have things configured wrong (or your serial port doesnt work). make sure you have serial support in your kernel like stated above.

also, if you have an open usb port you can go that route instead.
tukem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find knoppix or suse livecd you could test that way there's no configuration problems. And to be sure you should check that there's no bios options on serial port.

Or why should it be knoppix or suse. If you have a redhat or mandrake or X linux cd with graphical install check with that that your serial connection isn't dead too. Just make sure you don't accidentally f*ckup your gentoo.
darkbrace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it certainly works underlinux...I have no probs with the initial stages of red hat installation....
It's using /dev/ttyS0, but the ttyS0 isn't working for gentoo...
Perhaps something is tremendously misconfigured on my behalf, but I've no idea what on earth it could be.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: