View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WedDa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Hmm, nvidia driver causes temporary lock-ups in X... (but no Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm completely new to Gentoo, having installed it only yesterday. Most things seem to work just fine, but as with many others on this forum, I have problems with the nvidia drivers.

I'm running a 1GHz Duron/256MB RAM/Soyo Dragon+ system with a inno3D Geforce3 graphics adapter. I emerged the latest xfree and nvidia-* packages and made all necessary (I think) changes in XF86Config - glx, nvidia.

The nvidia driver isn't very friendly though. Upon starting X, the splash screen shows up and then slowly degrades in a chunky (?) way. When the windowmanager (any) starts I can open programs and windows, but when I do so, or move windows around, I get temporary lock-ups or lags lasting a couple of seconds. Quite annoying. OpenGL applications like GLtron run just fine though (in full screen).

I have no problems with the standard nv driver.

Since everything runs, however not smoothly, I doubt I have any informative error-messages laying around to guide me. What do you think? Error when compiling? Hardware incompatibility? Do I need to tweak any AGP-settings?

Have a nice day!

/ WedDa
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of anything like this before, it's probably not an agp problem since any agp problem I've seen just freezes up the computer.

You can try "startx -logverbose 5" I think is the command, and then read over your /var/log/XFree86.0.log for any ideas, specifically bitchin from the nvidia driver. You can also read over nvidia's linux driver readme for ideas but I've read that over a few times recently and nothing comes to mind that could fix this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what mainboard do you have? did you compile agpgart support for it in your kernel ?
WedDa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers!

Err, as far as I know I haven't done anything with agpgart at all. If some obvious agpgart tweaking is needed I'm so sorry for not doing my homework. I don't was to waste your time.

All I did was to "emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx" and enable "Load glx" and "nvidia" in XF86Config.

Well, that was yesterday. I recompiled my kernel today and emerged nivida again. It didn't solve anything. In fact, X is even worse.

Do you think some older drivers could help?

BTW, my mobo is the Soyo Dragon+ KT266A. Is there a VIA problem I should know about?

Thanks for helping me out!
MadCoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont load dri and GLcore module in your XF86Config

and I suggest you not tu use xie and record

"Un OS n'est pas censé être obscur, bizarre et plein de pièges
(ça, ce sont les attributs de la magie)"

- Dave Small
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: