Alpha live CD boot problem: unable to mount root fs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
platem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Alpha live CD boot problem: unable to mount root fs Reply with quote

I recently aquired an Alpha 300 XL, on which I'd like to install Gentoo.

It came pre-installed with some old RedHat version (with unknown root password), so there is a working MILO already present. Following http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2004.2/handbook-alpha.xml?part=1&chap=2 I downloaded and burned a gentoo-alpha-1.4rc1-test4.iso CD.

1st weirdness: if a boot sr0: or ls sr0: command is given on the MILO prompt it'll show a lot of errors about the CDROM not being ready. If however, the command show is first given, the other commands operating on sr0: will function. No big deal, but maybe a sympton for a larger problem?

Anyway, after show I type the command
Code:
boot sr0:boot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
as per the handbook's instructions for AlphaBIOS systems.
It starts the bootstrap, (after a couple of "sr_photocd: ioctl error (TOSHIBA #1): 0x1" messages ?!?) but fails after a short while with the following messages:

Code:
FAT: bogus logical sector size 7
FAT: bogus logical sector size 7
XFS: bad magic numberXFS: SB validate failed <0>Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:00

What I tried until now:

• Specify rootfstype=ext2 on the MILO boot line - this gets rid of the FAT and XFS errors, but it still panics
  • Use a different image (gentoo-alpha-1.4rc1-test3.iso): same results (but different values after the bogus logical size errors)
  • Specify some bogus (non-exsistent) initrd: same results (!?!)

Knowing little about Alpha and Gentoo on Alpha (but learning) I am really stuck at this situation. Some advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would at least trying to use SRM for installation be an option for you? Because it's not only a lot faster, but booting is painless as well (like "boot dka0"). You might also consider the 2005 release :D
Admittedly tampering with the BSD disklabel quirks is a disadvantage (for me at least), but it's not such a big deal in the end.
platem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgi wrote:
Would at least trying to use SRM for installation be an option for you? Because it's not only a lot faster, but booting is painless as well (like "boot dka0").

Well, when reading up on Gentoo on Alpha before getting the system, I figured I was gonna use SRM. Unfortunately, I did not do my homework well enough. The XL series are NT only systems, for which Digital never released SRM firmware (AlphaBIOS and/or ARConsole only).

The only way to put something else on there is through Milo.

Speaking of which, http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/what-section.html seems to imply the MILO version to use needs to match the current kernel.
So I am now in the process of trying a different MILO (kinda hard, because I lack a working fd).

Could it be that having a kernel/MILO mismatch leads to the problem at hand?
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platem wrote:
Speaking of which, http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/what-section.html seems to imply the MILO version to use needs to match the current kernel.
So I am now in the process of trying a different MILO (kinda hard, because I lack a working fd).

Could it be that having a kernel/MILO mismatch leads to the problem at hand?

Hm, fortunately I never read about that :) When I got the box I installed Suse (I guess it was 7.1) whach automatically installed MILO, too. I later installed Debian 3.0 there, and if I remember correctly, I did not touch MILO (because of the hassle) which would mean a newer kernel with an older MILO.

But I may be completely wrong. Especially when the docs say otherwise, I'd go with the docs 8)

Sorry, I think I can not really help you here, unfortunately. My Alpha knowledge was just big enough to get those installations running.
platem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, now I got 3 floppies with 3 different MILOs (avanti, xl and xlt).

First of: the cover of the alpha system claims it is an Alpha XL 266, but the AlphaBIOS says it is an XL 300. What would be the correct MILO to use (is there a definitive list around the net somewhere)? This might be a theoretical question as none of these tree images seems to work :( .

They all do the same: start loading, and when the message switching to PALcode at <hexnum> appears nothing happens anymore.
Putting the MILO boot line in the OS boot options line in the AlphaBIOS setup does not make any difference.

After googling I found that it might be that MILO is using one of the RS232 ports for IO.

Hmm. Of to find a system with RS232 connection to use as terminal. Or can I disable MILO serial IO somehow? And shouldn't putting the bootline into the OS boot options section cause the system to start booting from CD (the CD ROM stays silent) even with IO to RS232?
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/milo/, for example?

Hm, I don't have the Alpha matrix right here (which model uses which architecture; like my PWS500a is a miata), but it's on the net. Have a look there and get the MILO image from the website above.

And I don't think XL266 and XL300 really makes a differece (but you can never be too sure...).
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/load-section.html#ARC-SECTION:

5.6.8. XL266

The XL266 is one of a family of systems that are known as Avanti. It has a riser card containing the Alpha chip and cache which plugs into the main board at right angles. This board can replace the equivalent Pentium board.

Some of these systems ship with the SRM console but others, notably the XL266 ship with only the Windows NT ARC firmware (Section Section 5.1).

Here is my list of compatible systems:

* AlphaStation 400 (Avanti),
* AlphaStation 250,
* AlphaStation 200 (Mustang),
* XL. There are two flavours, XL266 and XL233 with the only difference being in processor speed and cache size.

Note The system that I use to develop and test MILO is an XL266 and so this is the only one that I can guarentee will work. However, technically, all of the above systems are equivalent; they have the same support chipsets and the same interrupt handling mechanisms.

So Avanti should have been the right choice. And I know of no MILO that would work with a serial tty only. Though it may be possible, it's hard to guess someone would build a MILO without console support 8O
platem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/load-section.html#ARC-SECTION:

5.6.8. XL266

The XL266 is one of a family of systems that are known as Avanti. It has a riser card containing the Alpha chip and cache which plugs into the main board at right angles. This board can replace the equivalent Pentium board.

Seen that one already. Unfortunately it might not be up to date or something.

Some discussions about this problem on the net seem to indicate a 300 XL needs XLT, for example:
http://alphalinux.org/archives/milo-list/2000/0023.html

Elsewhere I found http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2002/03/msg00040.html (3 years old), which describes my problem exactly and advices to use an older MILO (allthough some other post claimed it was perfectly possible to run new MILO on an 300 XL).
That would bring me back to the problem I had in the first place - not being able to boot the Live CD with old MILO :(

Does the Live CD use a FS or other new kernel feature not supported by old MILO?

Alternatively, if I get the (still) preinstalled RedHat going (also with a 2.0 series kernel), would I be able to install Gentoo from RedHat? I once tried something like that (installing new Gentoo from an older Linux installation) on a PC, and Gentoo was not able to chroot due to some too old glibc issue. Is this also true for Alpha Gentoo?
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?

chroot takes place in your RedHat, then ... I don't quite get it?!
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platem wrote:
They all do the same: start loading, and when the message switching to PALcode at <hexnum> appears nothing happens anymore.
Did you ever solve this problem? I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms on my xl266:
Code:
Linux Loader V1.5

Copyright(c) 1994,1995  Digital Equipment Corporation

System Partition is OSLOADPARTITION=multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0)
Load File Name is OSLOADFILENAME=\
Load Path is multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0)\
OSLOADOPTIONS=nodebug

Opening file multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0)\milo ...
Loading file at 0x80000000 ...

Getting firmware parameters ...

...Memory size is 0x5000000 bytes

Setting up argmuments for Milo @ 0x801FFC00

Setting up memory size for Milo @ 0x801FFE00

Setting up memory size for Milo @ 0x801FFF00

Swapping to PALcode at 0x0 ...
Then screen goes black and nothing happens. If I remove the VGA adapter, it boots on the serial console and behaves just the same.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: