ACPI ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenhorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: ACPI ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if ACPI was enabled in the kernel used at gentoo 1.1a's install...?
The thing is I wanted to try rc6 back then on my Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook, but it hung after a few minutes (apparently due to ACPI)...
Can I install safely now?
Because there is another issue on ACPI... What about sensors?
If it is enabled will it handle the cooling? My notebook fans seem only to turn on at 80°C (yeah I know that's hot) if I don't use the i8k package for fans...
While I never get that hot compiling lots of stuff - I would like to know if installing gentoo and if it gets that hot, that it'll turn the fans on...
Thanks!
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: ACPI ? Reply with quote

greenhorn wrote:
Hi,
If it is enabled will it handle the cooling? My notebook fans seem only to turn on at 80°C (yeah I know that's hot) if I don't use the i8k package for fans...
While I never get that hot compiling lots of stuff - I would like to know if installing gentoo and if it gets that hot, that it'll turn the fans on...
Thanks!

The i8k package is necessary to get the fans running below 80° (or 87° with mine), since this is a complete userspace utility. the kernel supports only the interface to access the bios, neither gentoo nor any other distribution will have this activated by default. of course, you could merge the i8k-source with the kernel - i thought about doing so, but my abilities in C programming kept me off that ;) (I only used apm with mine, so I can't help you with acpi, sorry.)

live long and prosper ;)

ElCondor
greenhorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the i8k package is requiered to turn fans on below 80°C
But using ACPI you can disable the fans completly at any temp...
That is actually what frightens me... If ACPI is in the gentoo's install kernel, does it or not support fans? I strongly suppose that it would, but...
Quote:
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL:
This driver handles overheating conditions on laptops. It is HIGHLY recommended, as your laptop CPU may be damaged without it.

from the kernel's config...
chadh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the problem with the kernel on the rc ISO's was that IO-APIC was enabled, not ACPI (although that is what we thought it was originally). It is no longer configured in, and the CD works fine with Dell laptops.
greenhorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...
I can now install gentoo safely on my Dell :)
Again thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: