Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Two things I didn't find in the docs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scot Stevenson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Two things I didn't find in the docs Reply with quote

My apologies if I missed these in the docs or earlier postings:

1. I couldn't find any information on how much HD space is used for the minimal install. This would be interesting because I have all kinds of old stuff I would happily use as a test bed.

2. I'm sitting here in Germany with a metered ISDN connection, in other words, a thin and expensive pipe. I don't mind downloading one or the other package once in a while, but it would be nice to get the initial, basic distribution on a CD - as sources, not as a pre-compiled i686 binary that my K6/Duron machines here can't use.
Am I correct in understanding that there is no such CD out there, in other words, that I would have to download the X sources etc. either way if I try Gentoo and wanted graphics?

Thank you for your time and help,

Y, Scot
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... to get Gentoo onto an old laptop, I ended up packing the entire filesystem into a tarball and shipping it over my home LAN. The base system, kernel sources, X, Fluxbox, and a bunch of network diagnostic tools came in somewhere around 250 MB without compression (IIRC). But note that all the temporary files during compiling and other stuff will increase the actual size necessary.

As far as the sources CD goes, well, if you have access to a computer with a fat pipe and a CD burner:

lx wrote:
Well, you can edit the /etc/make.conf file, if you override the FETCHCOMMAND:
Code:
FETCHCOMMAND='echo ${URI} >> /sourcelist'
but this way you don't get the mirrors. A solution is
Code:
FETCHCOMMAND='echo ${URI} >> /sourcelist; false'
but this way all mirrors are supplied and you have multiple URL's for the same source package.

Well start the install at home until bootstrap.h (you need internet connection to do emerge rsync, else your using outdated packages or get the tree (/usr/portage/...) at work http://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/rsync/ ). change the /etc/make.conf file (carefully selected all the USE flags you want, cause you need these to download extra dependencies) and check inside the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.h file for all build packages. ( portage / gettext / binutils /baselayout /gcc /glibc /..?) . Now you use emerge -f <package names> and there URLs are put into the file /sourcelist. think you need something like emerge portage gettext binutils baselayout gcc glibc followed by emerge system and at last emerge gentoo-sources nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-libs alsa-oss xfree kde mozilla ..... Maybe some URLs are listed double so use something to remove the double lines cat /sourcelist | sort | uniq.

Just don't forget any file.

Cya lX.
Scot Stevenson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: So basically what you are saying... Reply with quote

...is that it can be done, but you would have to be slightly out of your mind to do it?

Thank you for the info. I'll have to sit down with a pencil and figure out just how expensive this would be for me...

Y, Scot
slik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: So basically what you are saying... Reply with quote

Scot Stevenson wrote:
expensive this would be for me...

Ah yes.. diffs from previous versions would sure be nice.
Sorcerer GNU/Linux has xdelta patches, I'm seriously concidering moving over.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: