Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Just for the record, ufed isn't quite dead, it just needs two patches to work.

Patch #1
Patch #2
For reference, there are a couple of other bugs that need patching too. Those two patches only get it to run at all. Patches #3, #4, #5, #6 (all six by yours truly) fix or work around other bugs. Also, with stacked profiles (that includes *all* non-deprecated x86 Linux profiles) ufed 0.35-r1 must be used, but it's not marked stable, so either ACCEPT_KEYWORDS or /etc/portage/package.keywords must be used.
tropicalhandler wrote:
Theres been talk about grouping USE flags on and off for quite sometime. Glad to see someone do it. Very nice replacement, thank you!
This isn't the USE flag grouping that's been talked about. Glad you like it anyway though :)
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I was looking for an ufed replacement, and this one is also better.

The devs should keep an eye on it, as the noobs installing Gentoo for the first time need a good way of selecting their USE flags. With this program surely they won't look at them carefully... so imagine having to edit make.conf by hand :wink:
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morbus wrote:
Good job! Main reason for me to change was that the two ufed patches don't work for me, so I'm very glad that I found this. Thank you!

I had the same problem with the ufed patches. Upgrading to dialog-1.0.20040731 solved all my problems.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feature req:

search function.

in the kernel menuconfig (and i use this example only because it looks the same) hitting '/' will let you search for a string. something like that would be great here as well, just for situations where you go paging through three categories before finally finding that 'pwdb' is in sys. (which is where i should have looked in the first place, but that's besides the point.)

if this is another feature i'm requesting that's already implemented feel free to mock me publicly.

cheers.
--de.
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
feature req:

search function.

in the kernel menuconfig (and i use this example only because it looks the same) hitting '/' will let you search for a string. something like that would be great here as well, just for situations where you go paging through three categories before finally finding that 'pwdb' is in sys. (which is where i should have looked in the first place, but that's besides the point.)
Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't believe it's possible with plain old dialog, but I'll try and modify used to use the kernel's modified version of dialog. After that I might be able to add this.

Update: Since lxdialog likes crashes for me, and I haven't been able to figure out why yet, I would appreciate it if anyone can write a simple shell script that uses lxdialog (with a menu). Extremely basic. As long as it doesn't crash. (I'll ask this later in a new thread if no one who reads this is able to help...)
Wormo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TrueDFX"]
dirtyepic wrote:

Update: Since lxdialog likes crashes for me, and I haven't been able to figure out why yet, I would appreciate it if anyone can write a simple shell script that uses lxdialog (with a menu). Extremely basic. As long as it doesn't crash. (I'll ask this later in a new thread if no one who reads this is able to help...)

Code:

#!/bin/bash

./lxdialog --title "Hello TrueDFX" --yesno "Do you want to see a menu?" 10 60

if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
  ./lxdialog --menu "Fun stuff" 20 60 15 4 1 "one fish" 2 "two fish" 3 "red fish" 4 "blue fish"
  ./lxdialog --title "Nothing to see here" --menu "Great TV shows" 20 60 15 2 1 "Get Smart" 2 "Earthworm Jim" 3 "The Jack Benny Show"
else
  echo "fine, be that way"
fi

Note that it is easy to crash lxdialog if you give an unreasonable width or height that exceeds the current terminal COLS or ROWS respectively. Also, there is an extra parameter for the menu which is not listed in the help message: the tag of the entry which is to be selected by default

Code:

--menu      <text> <height> <width> <menu height> <active_tag> <tag1> <item1>...
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormo wrote:
Also, there is an extra parameter for the menu which is not listed in the help message: the tag of the entry which is to be selected by default
Thanks! That was exactly what I needed. Your script runs without a problem here. I can only imagine that the kernel menuconfig sets this to '' by default, which lxdialog accepts, and that that's why I didn't see it in ps aux.
einheitlix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just discovered it by now and I have a few questions ;) I don't think it deserves to die, anyways. I think it should replace ufed in portage, or, at least, be added additionally. Maybe this thread should be made sticky.

First off, as you may have guessed already, I really like that script better than ufed, especially because of the categories. ufed looks really jumbled ;) Great work!

There's a feature I'm realling missing though... what about parsing /etc/portage/package.use, too? As this is the location where local USE flags should be saved to (and I have some of them there), it's a bit disturbing that used ignores these settings.

Also, I observed something weird:

Code:

[ ] acl                   (  -) * Adds support for Access Control Lists

I recently added -acl to my USE flags, and recompiled everything with emerge --newuse -uD world, but the asterisk means there still packages that are compiled with acl support, doesn't it? How can I find out which ones those are?

Btw, it would be cool if you could upload that script somewhere so that one could download updates just by doing a wget instead of having to mark the entire script in your first post, open an editor, paste it there and save it as /usr/local/bin/used (or whatever location one likes). Not that important, but maybe you have somewhere you can upload that to...

Well, that's all. I hope you're still interested in developping that script :)
Daniel_2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tool, tested it now, works fine, and probably going to continue using it. thanks.

mmm... one thing i notice now, where's the mmx, sse, 3now, 3dnowex use flags?
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been meaning to search this thread out and ask the same thing. sse and mmx have disappeared. the main problem with this is the script removes them from make.conf everytime you re-add them.
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I haven't updated used in a while, and since my last update, I see some changes have been made to the /usr/portage/profiles/ directory that it couldn't yet handle. Thanks for letting me know about that, It should work now,
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei

In my search for the new location of the files which result in the USE flags listed in 'emerge info', I came across this thread.. tried 'used' and it works fine :-)

It looks rather like ufed (not the beta, which has some presentation problems btw, doesn't show all of the default flags)

Anyway could whoever knows please fill me in on which file locations produce the first and second columns in the 'used' and 'ufed' displays..?

I believe PORTDIR /profiles/default-linux/x86/make.defaults relates to the first column but I've spent more than a reasonable amount of time looking for the 2nd column's source..

Mvh
thomasa88
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get this into portage? :?:

btw, you maybe should remove " Doesn't give any explanation of what USE flags are", this tricked me not to download this great script at first ;)
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there's still interest? :)
Cintra wrote:
It looks rather like ufed (not the beta, which has some presentation problems btw, doesn't show all of the default flags)
If ufed doesn't display a flag it should, please report this as a bug, even if it's the masked version. It has some minor problems and missing features too, but I had hoped the major problems were gone already.
Quote:
Anyway could whoever knows please fill me in on which file locations produce the first and second columns in the 'used' and 'ufed' displays..?

I believe PORTDIR /profiles/default-linux/x86/make.defaults relates to the first column
It's also the make.defaults of the parent directory (defined in /profiles/default-linux/x86/parent), and the parent of that, until you reach the base profile.
Quote:
but I've spent more than a reasonable amount of time looking for the 2nd column's source..
This is handled via use.defaults. If a package in use.defaults is installed, the corresponding flag is turned on.

thomasa88 wrote:
Is it possible to get this into portage? :?:
Nope. I'm working on improving ufed now, and while I'm concentrating on the interface, I do hope to get anything this does that ufed doesn't in too. After that, this will no longer serve a point.
Quote:
btw, you maybe should remove " Doesn't give any explanation of what USE flags are", this tricked me not to download this great script at first ;)
Okay, I'll reword that.

And, thanks for the comments.

(Any idea why this disappeared from my posting history, even though it's more recent than some older threads in there, by the way? I only came across this again by chance. Is it because it's been a long time since I posted in here?)
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers TrueDFX

Concerning 'use.defaults' that no longer exists on any of my 3 gentoo copies (default-linux/x86/2005.0)
though ufed-0.39 does have entries in the 2nd column..

Mvh
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use.defaults is read from parent directories just as make.defaults is, meaning base/use.defaults (and the empty default-linux/use.defaults) will be used for you.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.. all is now clear to me :-)
I had at some stage pruned portage from my updatedb.conf, so no use.defaults were found by my much used kio-locate tool.
Mvh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: