more problems with emerge rsync...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destatnj2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: more problems with emerge rsync... Reply with quote

Within the last 24 hours I began having problems running emerge rsync. I would get this error:

Code:

& emerge rsync
>>> starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Name or service not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

There are a few people who posted some similar situations like this and I was able to remedy the problem by altering my /etc/resolv.conf changing the default nameserver ip address from my router assigned DNS to my actual DNS which I found by directly connecting to my cable modem for a moment.

Once I did that I was then able to run:

Code:

$ host rsync.gentoo.org

which gave me a nice list of working DNS ip's for gentoo rsync servers which I can use in the future. I added these(3 max) to my resolv.conf as well.

With all that being said, I have two questions:

First, why is this happening. I've been using gentoo for over a year now and this has never happened?

Second, if I reboot my machine, the resolv.conf file gets overwritten to the original single and apparently incorrect nameserver that I've been using for a year completely overwritting the just previously saved file. I don't mind having to change the file, although I find it strange that I must. But how do I make the changes permanent? It appears as if some process at boot time is looking up my router assigned DNS and overwritting the file with it. What gives? :roll:

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks
TheQuickBrownFox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar problem to the first one can happen when your firewall is blocking rsync connections. It's not enough to just have an http/ftp proxy. You need to make an rsync connection.

The second thing is that your dhcp server is overwriting your resolv.conf
To fix this, make it immutable by doing
Code:
 "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf"

It is usually the case that your dhcp server knows what the closest dns server is.
junnuh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: emerge sync problems Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem like it is mentioned in the first post. It can indeed be solved by adding the nameservers of my IP to the resolv.conf. Strange thing is: the problem only exists with my server which is running with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". My other machine is syncing with my router as DNS server in resolv.conf.

Anyone any ideas on how to fix this? :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: