View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# ck-sources: Kernel patchset by Con Kolivas containing high performance patches for the desktop. Focuses on stability and performance. Follows stable kernel. More information here.

Should be

# ck-sources: Kernel patchset by Con Kolivas containing high performance patches for the desktop. Focuses on improving system responsiveness Follows stable kernel.

CK is not safe, it's responsive (desktop user real world fast), but not fast (benchmark fast) - but includes only a very few of the stability fixes that are available, so I feel that the word "Stability" is misleading, also even his homepage only states responsiveness as the goal.
Luguber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Moral booster :) Reply with quote

This reply was meant for RioFL so it might be a little bit off-topic.
I recoginiced my situation as a sysadmin a couple of years ago, tho there were only like 30 servers, but in a quite mixed environment (Sun, SGI, SCO, MS). Most where linux, after my initiative, so as you might understand it was quite embarassing to ask MS-people for advices. I also had trouble integrating qmail with php, ldap, mysql etc. and time felt more like a bonus than a factor. After a while I realized that my troubles came more or less because of stress not because of the documentation were insufficient. One pointer I'd like to give you (RioFL) is that it's not commonly called a community without a reason, there are tons of people that run into the same problems as you and me. Imho the community is at it's best when you take it to a personal level and join a irc-channel/news-group with personal request, the chances of actually having lots of people in the community working for you are not to be underestimated. Nowadays there are even ways to get on irc/news encrypted so that there is no way that those MS-people will know what you are doing :)
I do not mean to undermine the gentoo-forum in any ways, in my oppinion it's the best thing invented since the DIP-Switch :) The gentoo irc-channel is also extremely friendly and helpful and provides answers for things you could not imagine any irc-idler were capable of.

No pun intended, just a little walk down memory lane and a half empty bottle of congac (having my birthday party today and where am I spending my time :)

Actually, if there is anything, server related, you are free to message me and since I'm having quite a lot of time off nowadays, I voulenteer to do research for free, just to keep up to date with "emerging"-technologies :)

The obligatory excuses for my lousy non-oxford-english.

Regards!
-Luguber
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild, thanks a lot. You made me go to the website and see for myself... 8)
strolls
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: ebTables Patches Reply with quote

I recently installed the ebTables kernel patches from on to the vanilla kernel. I have this retarded obsessive thing, however, that I'd rather just use an unpatched (or rather, pre-patched) set of kernel sources than doing it myself.

Does anyone know if any of the kernel sources available through portage have these patches applied..?

Thanks,

Stroller.
Luguber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: CK-sources Reply with quote

I've now tested a lot of sources ac/aa/mm/gentoo and now finally ck-sources. I've not done any scientific testing procedures, just played a little around with the system after booting the various sources. So far the only source-kits that seems to give a little extra performance and responsiveness is the mm (2.5 development) and the ck-sources. I've chosen the ck-sources because I could get most of the drivers for my motherboard (Asus A7N8X) to work with it. The ck-sources outranks the gentoo-sources when it comes to scheduling. I'm running 3 compiles in the background as root, and my desktop (running as a mortal user) still seems quite responsive, no jumpy mousepointer or slow startuptimes. The compilations even seems faster :)

The next kernel I'd like to try is the gentoo-live-cd sources, gs-sources wich seems to have some neat features that I didn't get to work when making my own config. ie. my motherboards onboard 3com card (I think it's a 3c920).

Does anyone else have some reports on performance with the different kinds of sources?

Regards!
-Luguber
Luguber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: ebTables Patches Reply with quote

Quote:
I recently installed the ebTables kernel patches from on to the vanilla kernel. I have this retarded obsessive thing, however, that I'd rather just use an unpatched (or rather, pre-patched) set of kernel sources than doing it myself.

Does anyone know if any of the kernel sources available through portage have these patches applied..?

Thanks,

Stroller.

I think as it says on the page you linked to that the development sources contains this patch.
mm-sources and development-sources should contain these patches if that is true.
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Today when I searched for acpi-sources I realised that it had disappeared completely from my portage tree. I sync with rsync.uk.gentoo.org. Has this just happened to me or to others too? The acpi patch for gentoo sources dates back to 22 Nov 2002. Anyone had any luck with using a more recent version of acpi either through a prepatched kernel or a self patched one?
dreamsofxion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm resurrecting the "dead"...

I'm reinstalling Gentoo on my desktop after a quite lengthy stint in Debian-world...I just got tired of having older packages in Sid that still broke things... *grumbles*

However, I run Gentoo on my laptop and so I've been trying to follow the different kernel sources...

Now, the question...in a roundabout way...
I have a SGI Indigo 2 that I finally got the IRIX CDs for...however, it appears that the CD-ROM drive for the Indigo isn't quite kosher (I probably either don't have something terminated properly or am improperly addressing which SCSI ID the drive is...this is what I get for going 3 years without working on an SGI...) and would love to be able to use the NFS install of IRIX...
...but the IRIX CDs are written in XFS...
...but I want the desktop to run either gentoo-sources or ck-sources...
...but I need the Zaurus patch from gentoo-sources...

So, the question boils down to if it's possible to reletively easily create a bastard kernel using a mish-mash of different -sources patches...
...and while I haven't tried yet, it appears to me through looking through the gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r2 ebuild that mayhap the USE="xfs" might be depreciated...is this the case, or could I, in theory and practice, just jumble together some USE flags to create said bastard kernel?
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be better to emerge vanilla-sources, download all the patch files for gentoo-sources, ck-source and xfs-sources (look in the ebuilds for what files you need) and patch the sources yourself

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
dreamsofxion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A'ight...that's what I was intending on doing, but wasn't sure if there were some of those nifty hidden USE flags...
dh003i2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: specifics anyone? Reply with quote

These are all nice one-liner explanations. Unfortuately, they don't really tell me much. I can tell that I'm probably going to be interested in the performance/desktop-performance enhancing kernel, which includes gentoo's kernel and the ck kernel. However, I have no basis to compare.

Yep, that's a performance-enhancing patch. Yep, so is that one. Err...which one should I use?

What we need are benchmarks for solid comparisons between these various kernels. People spend hours and hours and hours benchmarking the latest greatest graphics card, which'll cost you 300 dollars, and will certainly perform better (though not amazingly so) than the others. Why not spend some time benchmarking the kernel's, something we can get for (f)Free?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should give the Gaming-sources a bit more exposior, it's a nice little kernel - although based on CK it seems hellishly stable and still very responsive.

Another thing, Jay Pfifer or whatever, would I convince you to change the name of that kernel, it's damn hard to test it when I can't remember it's name, let alone spell it... Gentest-sources might be good - also implies purpose.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think is a correction:
I've been running ck-sources for quite some time and previous to that wolk. The all have preempt and low-latency enabled and, guess what, I use XFS... I didn't have any problems so far with the filesystem although I've had a nice share of crashes (especially with -ck5, it's been a disaster as even Con admitted - I think they are out of the portage already).

On the "general feeling": -ck feels great on the desktop although I think it just burns more ram when pushed around than a vanilla one. Oh and don't expect g++ to go any faster :twisted: - it's just that you don't have to wish it did with your mouse pointer stuck someplace...
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Maybe we should give the Gaming-sources a bit more exposior, it's a nice little kernel - although based on CK it seems hellishly stable and still very responsive.

Is gaming-sources an appropriate name?

I've never tried it because I'm not a gamer and didn't think it would benefit a desktop user, but it's ck-sources + some patches and fixes + the neat Gentoo related stuff I'd been patching ck-sources with after. Gentoo-sources just has too many patches that I don't need, but gaming-sources seems just right.

I agree, considering how popular ck-sources seems to be amongst Gentoo users, this kernel could use a bit more exposure.

I'm not sure what a more accurate name would be though. Calling it desktop-sources might do the opposite and turn gamers away - so a similar problem exists regardless of what the name is. It just seems like patches in gaming-sources aren't that gamer specific.
Fryguy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should also be important to distinguish which of these are based on stable (even-numbered) kernels, and which are based on devel (odd-numbered) kernels.
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of these 2.4 based source include alsa ?
BillyBlue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: ck vs mm!? Reply with quote

Hi there,
which kernel should be faster (more perfmance) the ck-sources or the mm-sources? I need a fast high-performence-kernel with xfs-support for multimedia/gaming. Thanks a lot!!
- bb

[current running the ck-sources]
chronic1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: where did xfs go Reply with quote

what happened to the xfs being included with the gentoo sources when you had USE="xfs" It now tells me to use the xfs-sources. Is there a way to get all the patches included with the gentoo sources with the xfs source?

----
i apologize for this post...i just found another thread pertinant to this issue

Last edited by chronic1 on Thu May 15, 2003 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
joeldg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: openmosix rc-4 patched kernel, no probs.. Reply with quote

I run the openmosix rc-4 patched kernel on several machines and have had no issues with it. On the cluster we have one redhat box patched to OMrc4 which works.

The way that OM is, the kernels need to be basically identical for everything to function right, so I know for a fact that there are not a lot of "gentoo specific" patches to the source tree for that particular ebuild.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo now has an official Kernel guide which describes all possible kernels. You can find it on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml
beza1e1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says the kernel optimized so i can listen to music, while compiling without hangs ... this does not work for me. Do i have to enable special features?
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beza1e1 wrote:
It says the kernel optimized so i can listen to music, while compiling without hangs ... this does not work for me. Do i have to enable special features?

It works for me with a vanilla kernel. But maybe having a Penium4 2.4Hz 1G RAM helps... :roll:
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have musichangs during compilation, you can try renice'ing your compiler so that it runs with a lower priority. The manpages of "nice" and "renice" will help you further with that.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has happened to the gaming-sources, they aren't in portage anymore :(

I have been getting my kernels from kernel.org (old habits die hard) and decided to try to emerge my next one. I was going to use the gaming-source after reading through all the docs but it isn't in portage and it isn't in the gentoo kernel doc either.

So what happened to it?
Unixworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is pretty much outdated, would someone with the knowledge
for it please update it for the noob-to-Gentoo-newcomers ?

Thanx in advance !

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: