Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pls sign the TCPA petition <not spam>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delphiki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While TCPA is bad, most of the things people associate with it are actually Palladium features. Granted, I still oppose any attempts to make it illegal to own a computer without TCPA, but I don't oppose companies right to make them.

By the way, TCPA won't be the end of Linux because TCPA can be disabled and even so, there is already a Linux driver for TCPA, created by IBM.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole idea puts a sick feeling in my stomach. funny how microsoft always manages to do that
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I hate odd numbers! :mrgreen:
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

Quote:

The bills:

In the USA there's a planed bill, the so called CBDPTA (Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act). First it was callen SSSCA (Security Systems Standards and Certification Act). The new name reads much more harmless. Looks like the first name made it too easy to discover the purpose of this bill.
This bill plans to legally force secure (TCPA-conform) systems. So in the USA it would then not be allowed to buy or sell systems that are not TCPA-conform. Passing this law would be punished with up to 5 years of prision and up to $500.000 fine. The same would apply for development of "open" software. Open means that it would work on systems that're not TCPA-conform.

Madness ...... :(
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for real?
Five years sentence for developing open source software? When did Bill Gates become supreme ruler of the US?

Edit: Can a moderator please delete the post above this one?
Agitator[RoX]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not totally mistaken, the TCPA sends info to a server..
What if you put up a GW that simply takes all that info and sends back "ok, install that" whatever you want to do?
Uh...
Its been more than once that big mofo computercompanies tried something like this. They've limited their efforts to software. But this ought to have been expected.
And quite frankly I dont see how this would stop linix or open source.
I am almost completely sure of that either some companies will reject this and keep making systems without it, thus giving what the the open source community needs in the aspect of HW.. If not, new companies will probably arise to do that insted.
HEll, it might even strenthen open source, just because ppl will still want to play their cracked games. And if they cant do it on palladium and alike, they will turn elsewhere.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an article by an IBM employee that balances out the anti-TCPA views a bit, located at http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/tcpa_rebuttal.pdf
but there is something the author missed I think.

While TCPA may be less than the threat that some may report it to be at present, it has the potential to eventually be changed to become all that the more threatening aspects reported talk of.

If we open the door to TCPA then it's only a matter of time before other things are added to it and we end up with a worst case scenario.

It seems to me that every major evil starts out with some rather innocous and innocent sounding attempt to meet a so-called "need". Once the initial steps are accepted as beneficial then slowly the major evil that would have resulted in a public outcry of resistance is itself accepted with barely a whimper of opposition.

Somewhere I heard that certain animals can be fooled into staying in slowly boiling water to their deaths or something like that. By a very gradual increase in the temperature, making their boiling death seem to be of little concern, until it is too late. Something like that - just don't quote me on that :).

Personally I think that TCPA and all that is threatened by it will come to pass no matter what we do but it's good to know about it, to be prepared for the worst, and to get as many people as possible to start using Linux as a way of ensuring some enclave of freedom is left somewhere in the computing world.

Carlos
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think we get the point.

For discussion about TCPA and related: Intel, AMD, Microsoft/Palladium & the TCPA.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: