XBOX Optimization
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rutski89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: XBOX Optimization Reply with quote

If you have, or know anyone who has, tricked out their Gentoo on XBOX's /etc/make.conf with optimization settings and found that it works like a dream, then can you please pass on the information? I'd really love to know. I'm setting up my XBOX with Gentoo as a server, it would be cool to have it bleeding edge fast 8)
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: XBOX Optimization Reply with quote

rutski89 wrote:
If you have, or know anyone who has, tricked out their Gentoo on XBOX's /etc/make.conf with optimization settings and found that it works like a dream, then can you please pass on the information? I'd really love to know. I'm setting up my XBOX with Gentoo as a server, it would be cool to have it bleeding edge fast 8)

Plan on days of compiling if you do that. There is an already mostly compiled version of Gentoo for the Xbox called Gentooxhttp://gentoox.shallax.com/. The main problem with compiling on the Xbox is the limited RAM and very slow CPU. There are also special kernel for the xbox, xbox-sources.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mount the rootfs file from GentooX on your Gentoo X86 PC and do your emerges by chrooting into the rootfs, speeding things up dramatically.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
You can mount the rootfs file from GentooX on your Gentoo X86 PC and do your emerges by chrooting into the rootfs, speeding things up dramatically.

You can also do the DDCC (or whatever it was called) to allow network compiles using multiple PCs. I did have an Xbox as a server for about 1 year, then gave it up for a real PC, much, much, faster and more flexible. Not to mention that I sold that extra Xbox and bought the server parts and still had over $100 left. An AMD 2500 system can be built for around $200, if you already have a large HD.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... note that at best... you really can't hope for that greater speed increase on x86.

Coppermine Celeron's still are nothing more than souped up, overclocked 386's. Sure, they have more instructions then their early cousins, but most of these are implemented as microcode, which are simply scripts consisting of RISC-like instructions anyways.

The story on RISC architectures of course is different here... since all the instructions are actual hard wired logic circuits. Hard wired circuits, naturally, are a lot faster than microcode scripts.

By all means, throw in a -march=i686 or -march=pentium3... along with the usual, -O2 -pipe... but I wouldn't go much beyond that... as that's where things start to break.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's very interesting...
how fast would be a ppc respectively to an x86 with the last gcc optimisations(vectorisatoin of the code,aptivec instructions...)
and how fast is an arm 7 and an arm9
or others microprocessors
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having never touched PPC, arm or anything other than x86 and MIPS... no idea.

But I know for a fact... on MIPS machines... running MIPS1 binaries, v.s. running MIPS3 binaries... there is a VERY noticable pickup in speed when you go to MIPS3, and a further one when you get to MIPS4.
This is also because of the way the assembly & machine code is structured. It lends itself very well to automatic optimisation done by the compiler -- you don't need to hand code asm to get tight code. ;-)

rutski89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: XBOX Optimization Reply with quote

lotw wrote:
Plan on days of compiling if you do that.
Its day 2.
DarkStalker wrote:
Great idea, but its too late. I don't think it matters anyway because after I unpacked the stage tarball onto the hard drive and chrooted, all the binaries started to get read off of there, right? Same idea, I think :?:
lotw wrote:
You can also do the DDCC
Too late :oops: Thats distcc, and yea, not that you mention it, I'll probably use it for compiled all software after this, thanks :D
Redhatter wrote:
Coppermine Celeron's still are nothing more than souped up, overclocked 386's.
:cry:
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...is the psp very powerfull?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_to_non_X86 wrote:
so...is the psp very powerfull?

^^ points to topic....

Ummm...since when did XBox == PSP??

But to answer your question... no idea... I'd summise there is a fair bit of capability there... but having never used a PSP, I can't really say.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: