Get NVdriver to load automatically.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Get NVdriver to load automatically. Reply with quote

Basically with the current setup, you have to have NVdriver in your modules.autoload file, or manually load NVdriver everytime you go into X.
Would it not be cool to just type "startx" and have the NVdriver module loaded automatically, well this is how to do to, assuming you have devfs.

1) Goto command line, NOT X, drop out of X
2)rmmod NVdriver if it was loaded
3) Goto /dev and rm -r nvidia*
Ok now we have just cleaned the slate and we are ready to manually make the NVIDIA nodes.
4) IN /dev type:
mknod nvidia0 c 195 0
mknod nvidia1 c 195 1
mknod nvidia2 c 195 2
mknod nvidia3 c 195 3
mknod nvidiactl c 195 255
-------------------------------
That is it, I think only nvidia0 and nvidiactl are required but I threw in the others for good measure....and because I remember seeing them some where else before. Now whenever you are at the CLI and you can just startx and have the modules be autoloaded as well as being marked "autoclean" by modprobe so if you drop back out of X, to suspend to disk for example, after a bit the will be removed or you can type modprobe -r to clean them out.
--Peace
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you have to have NVdriver in your modules.autoload file, or manually load NVdriver everytime you go into X.
Not in my experience, specifically when
Quote:
assuming you have devfs.
My NVdriver.o (or 4x.xx nvidia.o) loads automatically when I have devfs enabled in my kernel and I 'startx', and I've done nothing to make it so. I'm not trying to be contradictory :) , I guess it's possible that things would be different for you (?!)... Are you sure you have devfs enabled and automatically mount devfs at boot disabled in your kernel .config?
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Ah... Reply with quote

I do have devfs and mount at boot in the kernel, however I am still running the drivers marked as stable which are the 31XX drivers, so that might have something to do with it, well that is just what I did to get the 3X drivers to load automatically.....I guess it was pointless on my part however
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just compiled a 2.5 kernel and nvidia.o no longer loads automatically, well under 2.5 that is. I now have to insmod it manually! Maybe I'll try your advice after all ;)
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: scocou Reply with quote

I am running 2.4.20 vanilla with the 3X nvidia drivers, but I would be very interested in your results with the 2.5.X kernel and 4X drivers, please post any results you get, and btw what was your motivation for changing kernels?
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw what was your motivation for changing kernels?
I didn't exactly change kernels, I typically test a few from differently patched sources at any one time, although my favorite (most productive) kernel is gentoo-sources-2.4.19-r10. I suppose my motivation in this instance was to see if some problematic issues I experienced (on this box) with previous 2.5 releases had yet been remedied ;) So far I've not been disappointed, except for the nvidia driver not autoloading (and some scsi-emu issues).
Quote:
I would be very interested in your results with the 2.5.X kernel and 4X drivers
Ask and ye shall receive, but not for a few hours because I'm presently indisposed rebuilding gcc/glibc in an xterm ;) I will try with 41.91 / 2.5.64 so hang tight.

Last edited by scocou on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried your instructions, but to no avail I'm afraid :( The typical sterr barf appeared after 'startx'
Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Oh well, it was worth a try but I guess I'll have to stick with modules.autoload when I use 2.5.x with the 4x.xx's.
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a relevant snippet of the stout from dmesg, after rebooting, with nvidia in modules.autoload and your nvidia* files still in /dev.
Code:
0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module  1.0-4191  Mon Dec  9 11:49:01 PST 2002
devfs_register(nvidiactl): could not append to parent, err: -17
devfs_register(nvidia0): could not append to parent, err: -17
I might add that this setup works fine, regardless of the errors above. Maybe this will help...?
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

Yea I get those same message about not appending to parent, to take care of it, just make sure the modules are unloaded, adn rmnod or rm all the nvidia nodes you created, and next time you insmod NVdriver devfs should re creat the correct nodes that it wants...Its funny that it didnt work for you, I wonder why it works for me and not you....oh well
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Get NVdriver to load automatically. Reply with quote

Newbie-alert!

static_void wrote:

Would it not be cool to just type "startx" and have the NVdriver module loaded automatically

So, what happens without your advice? X doesn't use NVIDIA-drivers?
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X will use whatever you tell it to in the driver section of your XF86Config. MY point in respondining initially was just that, you don't need to do anything special to have them load automatically, but apparently this doesn't hold true for all kernel/driver versions.
Quote:
So, what happens without your advice?
You will typically get this error, if you need to manually insert the module but haven't, when you try to 'startx'
Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scocou wrote:
X will use whatever you tell it to in the driver section of your XF86Config. MY point in respondining initially was just that, you don't need to do anything special to have them load automatically, but apparently this doesn't hold true for all kernel/driver versions.

So this hint applies only to some kernel/driver versions? And in cases where X/drivers work, this hint is not needed, since just about all people tell X to use the NVIDIA-driver in Xfree, and it usually works.

Sorry, I can be a bit slow at times :oops:
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Evangelion.... Reply with quote

First of all, Obviously, since i posted this, my drivers werent loading automatically and had to be placed in modules.autoload, or insmoded, I dont pull this shit out of my ass. And secondly I was surprissed to see someone as ""leet"" as you thinking that most people use the X unaccelerated drivers, have you read these forums, most of the posts I have seen are in regards to the NVIDIA drivers
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Evangelion.... Reply with quote

static_void wrote:
First of all, Obviously, since i posted this, my drivers werent loading automatically and had to be placed in modules.autoload, or insmoded, I dont pull this shit out of my ass. And secondly I was surprissed to see someone as ""leet"" as you thinking that most people use the X unaccelerated drivers, have you read these forums, most of the posts I have seen are in regards to the NVIDIA drivers

Ummmm.... Are you talking to me? Why the harsh words? I don't see anyone flaming you here. No, I do not think that most people use the unaccelerated NVIDIA-drivers (nv), but the accelerated-drivers NVIDIA releases (nvidia).
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion I think people might misinterpret your first post as a flame. As in your calling the original poster a newbie and being sarcastic. But I think your second post clarfies your intent.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
Evangelion I think people might misinterpret your first post as a flame. As in your calling the original poster a newbie and being sarcastic. But I think your second post clarfies your intent.

The "Newbie-alert" in my post referred to ME, not to the original poster :D! I'm sorry if I caused confusion and/or bad feelings, it certainly was not my intention :(
chrisp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I just say thanks for this topic guys,

I have the 2.4.20-r1 kernel and tried XFree 4.2.1 & 31xx nVidia drivers and xFree 4.3.0 && 41xx nVidia drivers and had the same problem "Failed to initialise..." a quick insmod /lib/.../nvidia.o fixed the problem.

Now to try the other advice.

Chris.
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: ChrisP Reply with quote

Just to brush up on my original post...for the Above trick to work...you must have done opengl-update nvidia and on top of that the mknod stuff...There are some error messages from devfs, about not appending to parent...As far as I can see these have no effect....Also I am not sure if these work with the 4X drivers because the modules name seems to have changed...so I assume other specs of the module have changed as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: