Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
difficult install / instablilities? and unoptimized bootCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would a knoppix-like boot-CD be useful ?
Yes, I'm already working on that.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, somebody should genereate one.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
No, resources are better spent elsewhere.
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: difficult install / instablilities? and unoptimized bootCD Reply with quote

Hi!

I was trying to install a new gentoo on my brothers machine (He did his 4th WinXP reinstall this year, wanted some help - and i talked him into sparing some 2GB for linux.) Great. I installed a stage 3 tarball - worked fine. Did the partitioning (root - reiserfs, boot - ext2, no swap - he has 768MB RAM). Fought a little with the kernel to get him to see the Promise RAID controller. Emerged X - took ages, but worked. But then I failed to emerge kde - always failed to compile kdelibs. I took various steps to work around the errors (upgrade gcc to 3.2.2, executed this fix_lib_links_something-script in sys-devel/gcc/files, manually ln -s'ed missing libs), but still the emerge failed. I even killed all CFLAGS - but no succesful compile. I started a run of memtest - no errors in the first 15 minutes - and slowed the FSB from 133 Mhz to 100 MHz (so the Athlon 1200 MHz ran at 900 Mhz) - but still the compile failed. Sometimes the emerge aborted with a seg fault. Later I saw that even lynx seg faulted on exit - so I dicided the system is pretty messed up - and gave up. BTW I started Saturday ... and my brother set a time limit this morning - he didn't want to sacrify his machine to unsuccesful compiles ...
So 2 hours before he came back from university I started a ftp-install of SuSE 8.1 and finished it with kde and openoffice before he was back. I know this is not comparable, but it still leads me to the following question:

If the install didn't fail for hardware reasons (which i don't believe, see above): Are packages unmasked too soon? (gcc 3.2.2 ???)

Is it possible to generate a unoptimized boot-CD of gentoo with packages comparable to knoppix-linux? With emerge/portage packages could be optimized/updated afterwards. Or even updated bit by bit whenever a newer ebuild is available. The CD wouldn't have to be updated with every new rc-release, I think, but would be attractive to newbies to linux ....
I'm just thinking about the hype the knoppix-CD generated (at least here in Germany).

Hoping for many opinions and comments,
Greetz, Björn

P.S.: I still like gentoo - but was frustated a little bit with this expirience - and I don't think my brother will be happy if i advert gentoo to him someday.
P.P.S.: Gnome failed too - at GTK 2.2. But, though being frustrated, i was able to emerge fluxbox - but its not the optimum for some guy used to M$ windoofs.

Last edited by bmichaelsen on Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I post this in Chat since I don't need any support for the install anymore - see story above.

Greetz, Björn
JayBee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is - the GRP Packages provide a compiled (and not hugely optomised) collection of packages - X, KDE, GNOME, Mozilla are the major ones. These (plus a stage 3 tarball) can be installed in approx 30 mins (depending on net connection speed). All that is then required is to compile your kernel (or copy the live-cd one if your lazy), emerge a logger, cron daemon and any other required tools, and reboot. The system can then be updated by modifying your USE and CFLAGS, and running:
Code:
#emerge sync
#emerge -u system
#emerge -u world
Any other packages can then be emerged as required. Easy.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience seems to think that 2gig isn't enough for large compiles like kde. my var partition is 3 gigs and goes from about 25% full to 70% full during large emerges. You may have been running out of disk space.

Brian
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, you have to have at least 2,5Gigs free for large compiles... that is just to way it is...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: