View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolgentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo puts the user in command where as other distros put themselves in command. gentoo rhymes with GNU, also gentoo is a fast penuguin just like tux is :D
cur!ous
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW THAT IM NEW DOWN HERE BUT I LIKE GENTOO CUZ THE NAME INSPIERD ME :P

SMOO7A...
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrln wrote:
By far the best (modern!) package selection, the package management works well, nice colored boot scripts and all the config files make sense and are pretty easy to learn.

/signed :)
dusdus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see... is it Portage? Nope. Is it the hours of compiling? Nope. The hours of vimming/emacsing/nanoing .conf files? Nope...

Its just because I'm able to screw like EVERYTHING up! :D
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusdus wrote:

Its just because I'm able to screw like EVERYTHING up! :D

Funny, I used to do that with Mandrake too. I HATE rpms almost as much as I hate windoze.

Hang in there. After a while you will be like me, I rarely screw up anything and just run into a problem once in a while. I search the forum and usually find a fix. The fix is usually to resync because they already found it and fixed it.

Gentoo is so much better than Mandrake.

Later

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
fearofcarpet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought some new hardware... ASUS N8X-SLI Delux, Athlon FX-55. Installed; 32bit WinXP, 64bit WinXP, FC4 Test 1 amd64, Gentoo (stage 1)...

And the winner is... Gentoo; 25 seconds cold boot to KDE/Gaim/Thunderbird/Firefox. What more can I say? (plenty apparently)

I've always wondered why the push with (personal) OS installations seems to be speed, speed, speed. Everything is always talking about how their OS installed in 25 minutes or whatever. What's the hurry? You only need to install the OS once, and I would think it is the most important part of your system as the kernel lives between your hardware are all your favorite programs :) One of the reasons I've always like Linux is the flexibility and Gentoo exploits that to custom mold a Linux distro just your computer. I dunno, I get a sense of personalization with Gentoo that I just don't get from other distros/OSes. Just knowing that it will take me 48 hours to re-install the OS it makes my computer feel just that much more custom. Perhaps more so than the lights, fans, water cooling and all that hardware jazz. Oh, and the installer... If you screw up, just reboot, chroot and pick up where you left off... Genius.

I totally dig the Gentoo philosophy of not forcing things on the user too. The reason I dropped Windows like a hot potato was that it insulted the user by assuming they know nothing about computers and just want to push buttons and watch shiny things... And pop-up ads apparently... Many other Linux distros give me the feeling that they're trying to become more like Windows. That is "ease of use" which, IMHO, translates into "more things to break". I think Gentoo may be the most "Linux" Linux distro, you know? Like the sort of thing Linus would dig... Afterall the guy runs a dual G5 at work just because no one else does :)

Anyway, been using Linux since 1997, been using Gentoo since Friday... Gentoo is hands down my favorite distro :D
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause gentoo community is great
cause gentoo forum has lots of skilled ppls, so I learn tons.(look at fedora forum,tons of noobs with title "helphelp!" :P)
cause once gentoo is installed, normally you dont need to warry about reinstalling them.
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am everything the binary distribution mavens think is bad about Gentoo. Stability schmability, give me the source.

I am a Linux from Scratch guy. I like it my way. Surrendering my life and my system to decisions made by distribution makers makes me feel like Hugh of Borg. But, I am lazy. I got tired of research, reconfiguring from scratch, figuring out dependencies, nursing compiles, etc. Gentoo gives me portage scripts.

My Gentoo machine is unmasked. The latest and greatest as it happens. Why? Because it keeps my skills up to speed. I know what is changing, what is broken, how to fix it, and how to resurrect it. I don't care what other people think. I don't have to keep anyone happy except for me. It is good clean cheap fun entertainment and it you don't have to pay to take it out on dates.

Every file system is encrypted including root. My kernel is heavily patched both with my own code and with code belonging to others. I know how to write my own kernel modules and syscalls. I break my machine all the time and I love doing it. All progress in the world comes from unreasonable people who are willing to break things, figure out how it REALLY works, and do new cool stuff.

So, all of you appliance operator wannabees, have fun running whatever it is that you run that lets you stay safely ignorant. This is Linux, and that is OK. But don't give me a bunch of grief because I like tinkering around inside. If I blow my foot off, its my foot, not yours. You are already running my code and you don't even know it (scary huh?).

I like LFS best, Gentoo 2nd, and a custom Knoppix recovery system running from RAM only (so that my DVD drive is free) 3rd.

Chadders :D
mosquito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. its Linux.... free of charge and easy to maintain

and the community is helpful solving any probs you might have.
Russel-Athletic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/portage/* <-- nothing is better!
/etc/make.conf <-- cflags and everything else
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes Gentoo stand out for me is that it is made for my machine and what I want, not what other think I want. Sure it takes a little more to figure some things out and yes, you can break it, but the community will help you when you are stuck. The compile times are the downside, but the performance is a plus. The portage systems works pretty good, easy to install/remove programs.

So in order of importance:
1. Make it my own way
2. Support from community
3. Portage works damn good
dismal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package manager is extremely stable for me, and I haven't had any problems in 2 years of usage. I could probably use Debian and have things work just as good, but I started with Gentoo and I see no reason to switch.
Gentoonie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can make a system that completly fits my needs. Im able to build an exotic Desktop environment that is uber cool ;)

GCC 4, Kernel 2.6.14-ck7, NPTL
jakamaka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choices.
jakamaka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearofcarpet wrote:

And the winner is... Gentoo; 25 seconds cold boot to KDE/Gaim/Thunderbird/Firefox. What more can I say? (plenty apparently)

I don't care about boot times much, my system is up 24/24 7/7 nowadays...bleh
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakamaka wrote:

I don't care about boot times much, my system is up 24/24 7/7 nowadays...bleh

Sounds like me.

Code:
root@smoker / # uptime
 05:09:41 up 184 days, 21:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.12, 0.09
root@smoker / #   

I'm working on forever. :lol:

Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalek wrote:

Code:
root@smoker / # uptime
 05:09:41 up 184 days, 21:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.12, 0.09
root@smoker / #   

I'm working on forever. :lol:

Should be achievable. I've got a system that had uptime of over 450 days, then it was shutdown to move from one building to another. Then another 450+ days of uptime, followed by a reboot to correct a hardware problem. Currently standing at:

Code:
$ uptime
  5:26am  up 218 days,  5:58,  3 users,  load average: 4.26, 3.65, 3.33

One crash and one deliberate reboot in over 1100 days. Mind you, it's running Redhat 7.2, so it's bound to be a bit unstable...:D
lynxnyl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the community is nice, minus the repetitive gentoo sucks flamethreads - why do people even reply?

I like portage *alot* and then there's gensplash as the cherry topping.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customization: It's built exactly for my hardware
Choice: It's got only the features I want/need
Stability: It only goes down when "I" decide to reboot/shutdown while away

I'm still testing/deciding exactly what features I want/need on it and reworking my partitioning to allow me to move to an encrypted file system.

Once I've gotten things tuned my way, I will backup my distfiles, config files and start from stage1 for total tweakage.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU

Last edited by FastTurtle on Sun May 15, 2005 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Verted
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the control, the community (including support), and ofcourse, portage.
frameRATE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not windows.

Code:

!windows > *

Linux User | 364705

howto install coldfusion mx 7 under gentoo
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i like gentoo because one the portage package management system is unlike anything else available for linux.
I wasn't gonna try it because i thought it was two hard initially. I went through a phase of trying different distributions
because i wanted to move off windows. I had previous experience of Linux through Redhat 9 which was lacking in multimedia so it took way too long to setup. So i moved to mandrake in the test period i spent a long time learning it however i never really got to grips with if i crash it what would i do. To me a crash in those days was anything where i saw a black screen and even if it had a login. I stuck with Mandrake for a bit however it was very buggy and anything that i wanted to install seemed to upset it. Coupled with the fact that for me at least it didn't run as stable as my current Gentoo. So i moved back to Windows for a bit but what with the security hazards and overall worry of keep having to install more and more hotfixes i thought i can use linux well enough to use it as my primary desktop as i did do for 3 months to give Linux a fair chance as i didn't like it at the beginning since it was different to windows in every respect. I upgraded my computer and I tried any distro that would work on it. Suse . Fedora core 2, Debian , Lindows. All of them didn't work or didn't work well as they seemed to have trouble with my p4p800-e motherboard. I was reluctant to try gentoo since i knew i would be staring at a blank screen for hours on end. However it was my last chance to use linux as a desktop for my new computer. I was very glad i did because Portage is without a doubt for me the best package managment. Everything runs smooth, fast and stable and according to the way i want it. The main problem i have with rpms is that sometimes rpms just aren't available and that you have to go and mess around with lots of different repositries. Also these days i don't like the idea of my applications not being optimised for use with my computer.
Then i did try Ubuntu for a brief period and although its a good setup . I seriously don't like the way packages are so split.

For example xmms.deb xmms.dev.deb xmms.mp3.deb
With portage i could just use the appropriate Use flags and i never have to worry about installing development headers.
This makes compiling manually from source a breeze too.

The last incident i had was with Fedora i was quite enjoying it but theres a sense of that you have to install certain packages at certain times. For example at installation of the OS i should install the dev headers otherwise you get multiple complaints and sometimes the repositries won't install the package without the previous one or that they look for specific versions of the package that the rpm requires. You could use nodeps but then when uninstalling
you make have to uninstall packages you don't want uninstalling. It would make sense to keep your downloads to one repositry but what about if the package is held in anothe repositry.

It all gets very tiresome so I just setup Gentoo once and its all easy from there on
xXsweetXkittenXx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What makes you like Gentoo? Reply with quote

I think I will try to create my own forum, I havent seen anything that isn't for computer geeks so far lol :roll:
andrew_wiggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage is great, and the system is very fast, I like speed :)
WaterSoul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

that's the main reason, but hey, portage's good too :wink:
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: