Review of GCC 4.0 on Pentium 4 and Opteron
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottRobertLadd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Review of GCC 4.0 on Pentium 4 and Opteron Reply with quote

I've just posted a short review of GCC 4.0, comparing it to GCC 3.4.3 on a variety of real-world applications like LAME, POV-Ray, and the Linux kernel, and looking a bit at some of the new features:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/gcc4/index.html

From the conclusions:

Quote:
Is GCC 4.0 better than its predecessors?

In terms of raw numbers, the answer is a definite "no". I've tried GCC 4.0 on other programs, with similar results to the tests above, and I won't be recompiling my Gentoo systems with GCC 4.0 in the near future. The GCC 3.4 series still has life in it, and the GCC folk have committed to maintaining it. A 3.4.4 update is pending as I write this.

That said, no one should expect a "point-oh-point-oh" release to deliver the full potential of a product, particularly when it comes to a software system with the complexity of GCC. Version 4.0.0 is laying a foundation for the future, and should be seen as a technological step forward with new internal architectures and the addition of Fortran 95. If you compile a great deal of C++, you'll want to investigate GCC 4.0.

Keep an eye on 4.0. Like a baby, we won't really appreciate its value until it's matured a bit.

As always, I look forward to considered comments.
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just wanted to post a thanks for putting that review up. I've been thinking about getting gcc4 on my system and wondering if I'd have any real benifit from it. It appears from your review that I'm actually going to see a small hit if I do so now.

Gotta say though, I'm going to be looking forward to future versions of the 4.x tree. One suggestion for your review. You may want to post a quick blurp about what Tree SSA is and what that will mean to the end user.

Anyhow, thanks again for the review!

Petyr Rahl
lenk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your review and also read slashdot comments. Being a gentoo user came under fire again!
Sun Ultra5 Gentoo
ballero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. thank you very much :D
ScottRobertLadd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenk wrote:
Just read your review and also read slashdot comments. Being a gentoo user came under fire again!

I keep wondering why folks seem so reactionary to Gentoo users. It's not as if we jump all over Debian or Red Hat folk for their choices...

I tend to ignore th idiots. Though the ones questioning my parenting skills got my dander up a bit... ;)
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottRobertLadd wrote:
lenk wrote:

I keep wondering why folks seem so reactionary to Gentoo users. It's not as if we jump all over Debian or Red Hat folk for their choices...

I tend to ignore th idiots. Though the ones questioning my parenting skills got my dander up a bit... ;)

It's only natural. Considering how much infighting there is right here in the Gentoo community (We want speed! No, we hate ricers! No, Gentoo is there to make stuff faster! No, you're a n00b idiot, ricing shouldn't be done at all!), it's a wonder we don't get more flak from people who don't use Gentoo at all.

But on the subject of gcc 4, it's looking interesting. Let's see what it looks like in a few months. Naturally, building Gentoo from stage 1 on gcc 4.0.0 would be silly.
XeroByte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built gentoo from stage 1 on with gcc4. Produced lots of shitty codes, so about 20% are compiled now with gcc 3.4.3

Call me dumb that I started building everything using gcc4, but just wanted to give it a try and I don't regret it until now.
skarthesatai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XeroByte wrote:
I built gentoo from stage 1 on with gcc4. Produced lots of shitty codes, so about 20% are compiled now with gcc 3.4.3

Call me dumb that I started building everything using gcc4, but just wanted to give it a try and I don't regret it until now.

Same here with me on a AMD64-Station. Code is buggy (The CFLAGS didnt change that, even if i use "safe" flags like 02, etc..), latency is horrible.

end up:
will kill it from my system an build an more stable power Desktop (maybe call it "flash isnt fast enough") :) .

skar

DFS SID, pure 64bit-AMD, 2.6.11-cko4, Nvidia 1.0.7174
OneOfOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of boredom and after reading that article I smelt something funny..
so here we go :
Quote:

[19:46] <OneOfOne> fallow: out of boredom i tried oggenc with gcc-4 and gcc-3.4
[19:46] <OneOfOne> same CFLAGS
[19:47] <OneOfOne> and encoded on /dev/shm
[19:47] <OneOfOne> Elapsed time: 0m 53.0s
[19:47] <OneOfOne> gcc -3.4
[19:47] <OneOfOne> Elapsed time: 0m 49.4s
[19:47] <OneOfOne> gcc-4

1. both source and target were on /dev/shm (tmpfs) and swap was turned off just in case it decides to swap /dev/shm/* to disk.
2.CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -ftracer -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -funit-at-a-time" for both compilers
3. the source is a 320bit mp3 (used : mpg123 -q -s meat\ loaf\ -\ i\'d\ do\ anything\ for\ love.mp3 2>/dev/null | oggenc -q 7 -o test.ogg --raw -)
4. the song is 11m 58.0s
5. gcc version 4.0.0 (Gentoo 4.0.0) (+ pr21173.patch) / gcc version 3.4.3-20050110 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3.20050110-r1, ssp-3.4.3.20050110-0, pie-8.7.7)

I have yet to try with blender/yovray, mencoder and kde.

my conclusion :
gcc-4.0.0 is faster for ogg vorbis encoding.

peace
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably due to the huge changes to -ffast-math and -mfpmath.

good to hear it's good for something anyways. :lol:
OneOfOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
probably due to the huge changes to -ffast-math and -mfpmath.

good to hear it's good for something anyways. :lol:

original article was using both -mfpmath and -ffast-math.
Quote:

Pentium 4:
-march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -O3

;)

peace
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: