Problem on first boot from new HD install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsarnold
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Problem on first boot from new HD install Reply with quote

AMD K2-550 on FICMB with Via MVP3 Chipset with NVidia GeForce 2 200MX and ATA HD.

Install went OK, but when I rebooted, GRUB loads OK, then I select the boot option and the screen goes black and it boots (back to BIOS POST). I do not get a kernel panic or any other kind of error.

I know I selected the "/dev filesystem whatever" option when I compiled the kernel, and I double checked my fstab, so does anyone have an idea where else to start looking?

BTW, I formatted the boot partition as EXT3. The install HOWTO didn't say I couldn't, but is that possibly related?

I have a hunch one of the options I selected when I compiled the kernel is causing this because the first time I tried to do it, I got an error about some unknown reference when it was compiling one of the SMP modules. I only have a single processor, so I turned all that stuff off. Even so, I figured that the easiest way around the error (since it was on by default) was to enable SMP in "make menuconfig" and sure 'nuff the error went away. Do I possiby have an errant SMP or processor option setting someplace?

What are good/minimal kernal options to use if I want to compile a 'safe' kernel just to make sure I can get it to boot at all? (That would eliminate a config/pathing problem, then I would just have to find the 'evil' in the kernel config.)

Is the kernel still limited in size like it was a few years ago? Mine ended up >900K. <eek!>

Thanks In Advance.
-Steve
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get back into your system by booting the install disk, remounting your filesystem, and chrooting again. For instance:

Code:
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/ROOTPARTITION /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/BOOTPARTITION /mnt/gentoo/boot
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

Once you're here, you can check out you configuration. Double-check the architecture did you compile your kernel for, and see if anything breaks when compiling for i486. Also, enabling SMP doesn't break anything on most newer chipsets, so that probably the problem. As far as the kernel being limited in size, that's why you're making bzImage instead of zImage; the "b" stands for "big" :D.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: