help! >> Gentoo install fest
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: help! >> Gentoo install fest Reply with quote

me and a friend of mine are making an install fest for gentoo and slackware, and i don't quite know which version should i use ...i'll have there about 10 machines (x86, two x86 laptops) of all shapes and sizes, so i don't know which version should i use ...if i get an unstable it would be so embarassing if it would prove unstable (in install or later at work)

so ...which image should i use in order to cause as little paind and embaressement as possible?

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
alienhazard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, u do realize that gentoo takes really really long to install right? on my athlon xp 1600 w/ 512mb ram it takes like 4 hours to install the base system of gentoo. x and kde and the other apss probably take another 6 hours, not sure tho cause i do those overnight. so if nless u have a LOT of time, u should use slackware on the older/slower machines. and if u have succesfully installed gentoo before and have a good understanding of it, you should use it as much as possible since it makes the system uber fast and easy to install new packages. so, as always, the best to use is the one best for your circumstances.

by the way, please tell more about this install fest... 10 pc's? i doubt they are all yours...
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use _rc2 just b/c _rc3 is a so-called limited release and the live cd's may not be completely complete. However, as long as you merge stable packages it doesn't matter which install image you use.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf:
thx :) i was kinda tending to rc2, but i had to have a confirmation of this :)

alienhazard:
you're right, there is NO PCs that are mine there ...in the free open-sourced linux-based cyber caffee i work at ([url]cyberpipe.org[/url]) me and a friend of mine will be having an install fest (=a workshop when people meet to install linux under guided help) for gentoo and slackware ...up 'till now it's pretty successful, since that's pretty the same number the debian install fest had.
and, yes i know about that, that's why we're installing both, and informed the wanna-be users in advance about both distros. plus we're having this over 4 days (with one day free in between, so the bootstrap can compile safely)

will tell you how it worked out :)

nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt find any difference between installing rc2 and rc3 (apart from some simple errors I usually get when installing rc2)...

but I guess that you rely on arp packages and optimized stage3 tarballs for your purposes, so youll have to stick to rc2
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yeah ...now i remeber why i posted this thread!!

i don't know yet which structures they will bring (all are x86, that's for sure!) ...i wanted to know if i could do with any arch, and just change the arch in the make.conf, since (probably) all are going from stage1?

gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. stage1 works for all x86, there aren't any optomized tarballs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: