Acovea 5.0.1, and How some people are using Acovea the Wrong
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottRobertLadd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Acovea 5.0.1, and How some people are using Acovea the Wrong Reply with quote

I've posted a minor update to Acovea, fixing a bug in the output. It doesn;t change the results any of the 5.0.0 I posted a couple of days ago, but ebuild makers and such might need to change some things because of this.

Also new: *More* configurations, for GCC 4.0 and gfrotran, and a new analysis of GCC 4.0 on Opteron, where I found a **BIG** code generation bug for floating-point programs.

You'll find it all here:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/acovea/aco5k8gcc40.html

Finally, a note based on some chat conversations and a perusal of past Acovea discussions here on the Gentoo forums:

Acovea was designed with "spikes" in mind -- short programs that implement a limited algorithm that runs quickly (2-10 seconds per run). Using the default settings, Acovea will perform 4,000 compiles and runs of the benchmark; even with a very small and fast benchmark, this can take several hours. If your program takes a full minute to compile, and another minute to run, Acovea will require 8,000 minutes, or more than 5.5 days to evolve optimal option sets!

Results from running Acovea against a few algorithms should NOT be applied across a broad spectrum of applications. For my Gentoo-based systems, I don't set the value of make.conf's CFLAGS based on Acovea results; I build specific, time-critical applications using algorithm-specific options.

Much as I appreciate the interest in Acovea here, I also want to be certain that people understand how the tool was designed to work. This is an optimization tool, like a profiler.

Thanks much.
nmcsween
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I like the idea of tweaking everything past a point but in hypothetical terms could acovea be used as a replacement for crude make.conf CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS? This could eliminate about 80% of the problems ( bugs ) Gentoo suffers.
nmcsween
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be easily implemented via per package cflags selection and acovea wrapper around emerge (i.e aemerge). This could be complimented by such things as gcc profiling if portage learned how to deal with temp files correctly. This would take things to an extreme though... anyone up for a 3 day compile of gzip? But such things as ftp servers, and http servers could benifit *greatly* from this.
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do this, prepare for pretty much nothing to work reliably.
nmcsween
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will casue it? Why? Where will I encounter problems? Between acovea and portage? Explain why you think it won't work. Clarify
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how would you know what flags gave you the most optimized performance? To use your example, how do you go about measuring the performance of gzip? You could measure the time it takes to, say, zip or unzip a large file or a large number of smaller files and compare those measurements, but how would Acovea know to do that? You would have to come up with a unique and accurate benchmark for every single package you built, and you'd have to run it yourself after each and every build attempt (or individually script each benchmark and somehow tell Acovea to run it i suppose).

It's not a bad idea, but it would be extremely difficult to implement in reality.
nmcsween
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acovea as a baseline and gcc profiling for well run packages would be a nice in-between alternative instead of a script for every package. Portage needs to work on temp file handling so profiling can be using without ebuild hacks.
ScottRobertLadd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmcsween wrote:
This could be easily implemented via per package cflags selection and acovea wrapper around emerge (i.e aemerge).

I agree.

If nothing else, I'd love to have per-package CFLAGS.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottRobertLadd wrote:
If nothing else, I'd love to have per-package CFLAGS.

this works nicely.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2319973.html#2319973

Quote:
Acovea as a baseline and gcc profiling for well run packages would be a nice in-between alternative instead of a script for every package. Portage needs to work on temp file handling so profiling can be using without ebuild hacks.

that's actually something i'm working on right now using dsd's development platform idea. specifically, i'm trying to design a sources tree that uses portage for package management and merging. one of the main things i'm aiming for is making profiling possible through a "build once, merge many" type deal.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/development-platform/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: