PRINTER: Basic Install with CUPS - HOW TO
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguinlnx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: PRINTER: Basic Install with CUPS - HOW TO Reply with quote

I had my printer install beaten with the following procedure:

(1) CUPS, FOOMATIC-FILTER, and GHOSTSCRIPT need to be running. Emerge foomatic-filters if you need to.
In my distro (VLOL-Gentoo) two are already installed and running, so I only need the FOOMATIC-FILTER. I either emerge foomatic-filters or do it from Portal/Portage. To check if CUPS is running, try #/etc/init.d/CUPSD STATUS <CR>. If needed, you can get it going with #/etc/init.d/CUPSD START <CR>. If it's not installed, you could #emerge cups <cr> from the console, I think. If you have to do any of this, it is probably a good idea to reboot, to make sure everything is now installed and running.

(2) Get the .PPD file for your printer and put it in the /usr/share/cups/model/ folder.
I went to www.linuxprinting.org and fetched the hl1250.ppd file from there and downloaded it directly into /usr/share/cups/model/<yourprintername.ppd> . You can seemingly compile this file too, at this website manually. In my case, the hl-1250 is available and is supposed to work for my Brother hl-1230 laser printer also. You will need to REBOOT again for the new .ppd file to be noticed and incorporated into CUPS as an option.

(3) Go to localhost:631 using your web-browser and install the printer in CUPS.
This apparently runs a local config program for CUPS. When you get there, you click on printers, and you are prompted for your username and password (use 'root' & whatever the password for 'root' is.) Go through the steps to install a printer, including selecting your brand and finding the driver (.ppd). Configure the printer. In my case, 300 dpi was all the driver supports. Test the printer by printing a test page. (Reboot if necessary* see (4) below)

(4) Reconfigure Printer again after Rebooting:
Well, I thought that covered it all, for it appeared to work fine the first time. (although when printing using a web-browser, long webpages are broken up and a few lines are lost at the top of each page.) However, the second time I followed this procedure, after reinstalling my OS, it didn't work. The CUPS/driver talks to the printer, because I can see the lights flashing, but no pages come out. I just went to localhost:631 again to see if there was some other menu options or something to slap the printer in the face, and I selected 'PRINTERS' and hit the 'Configure Printer' button. The info there was correct, but I pressed the 'continue' button anyway (reconfiguring with the same info). I came back to the PRINTERS screen and hit the PRINT TEST PAGE button, and lo and behold, NOW it prints! It is possible that the printer and drivers can get out of sync, or there may be a software glitch or two.
'
:scratch: :confused: :study: :( I hope this helps make it easy for most of you anyway.

Easy Firewall with IPtables
GRUB boot Repair
Hardware Fixes
metalifloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of experience setting up various printers with cups. I've found you can skip quite a few unnecessary steps from both the official Gentoo Printing Guide and penguinlnx's tutorial. foomatic is not necessary unless you are unable to find a suitable ppd file from linuxprinting.org or your printer manufacturers site. By the way Xerox offers good ppd files for their entire Phaser line of printers, they even officially support linux :D

Quote:
You will need to REBOOT again for the new .ppd file to be noticed and incorporated into CUPS as an option.

Actually you only need to restart cups. i.e.
Code:
/etc/init.d/cupsd restart

If cups if unable to "find" your printer, it is possible that it's detected by the kernel yet. If you use a usb printer as I suspect a lot of people do, the kernel for some reason doesn't always acknowledge that you plugged in a new device. You can find out for sure by checking /var/log/messages before and after you plug in your printer. If you see any new output regarding usb, consider it working. 8)
johntramp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoudl I be able to print to that printer from the rest of the lan with that setup?
Sargonmetal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Shoudl I be able to print to that printer from the rest of the lan with that setup?

No, you should add your new configured printer to the smb.conf of your samba server if you want to share it. There's a great tutorial on Wiki Gentoo about it :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: