Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
packages with special after-emerge needs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: packages with special after-emerge needs? Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm kinda new at Gentoo, and have been most fortunate that my installation went pretty much by the numbers. Had a minor glitch or seven, but nothing unmanageable. This was some 4 weeks ago I think.

Now I did an emerge sync, and found out I have a brand new gcc AND a new gentoo-sources to emerge :) My question is: should I do anything special after emerging them? Should I recompile my kernel with the new gcc, should I emerge --clean world or emerge --emptytree world? After doing that, I should also remake and remodprobe all the modules I use, right? Any other packages need special attention like this? Can you give me a list so I can keep it on hand when making big updates?

bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you switch to your new kernel you have to reemerge things like pcmcia-cs, alsa-driver or xfree-drm. Basically everything that installs kernel modules has to be reinstalled (just like when you recompile the kernel and zap them).

If you update your gcc it should be used immediately after installed (unless you have the older 2.95 and emerge the 3. If I'm right they coexist ahd you have to manage them like for java), so maybe it's better to update it first.
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. but isn't it good policy to recompile the system when changing gcc versions? I had a feeling that this would be good practice.

the new kernel is only "used" if I recompile it, right? until then all the sources coexist peacefully?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging gentoo-sources will only install the kernel sources (hence the name gentoo-sources). If/when you choose to compile the kernel you'll have to beware that /usr/src/linux is a symlink to a kernelversion
Code:
/usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r1
and you'll have to change it to the new one. Then recompile everything that has a kernel module (pcmcia-cs, alsa-driver, xfree-drm, nvidia-kernel, etc.). Make sure you copy your bzImage to /boot while /boot is mounted and reboot.
Please make sure you have a backup copy of your old kernel and make a grub/lilo menu entry for it in case anything goes wrong.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astromarine wrote:
ok. but isn't it good policy to recompile the system when changing gcc versions?
Yes, I agree, but it's not required.
vikwiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astromarine wrote:
ok. but isn't it good policy to recompile the system when changing gcc versions? I had a feeling that this would be good practice.

Yes, surely you should, although everything will continue running without recompillation. You can do an 'emerge -e world' to get everything recompiled, or 'emerge -u --deep world' should find also this dependency, and upgrade all your packages. If you have the time for this, do it, and tell me, how it successed. I'm planing to do it also, but actually no spare time to be without 100% working installation.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
If you switch to your new kernel you have to reemerge things like pcmcia-cs, alsa-driver or xfree-drm. Basically everything that installs kernel modules has to be reinstalled (just like when you recompile the kernel and zap them).

If you update your gcc it should be used immediately after installed (unless you have the older 2.95 and emerge the 3. If I'm right they coexist ahd you have to manage them like for java), so maybe it's better to update it first.
If you only recompile your kernel your modules will not be wiped. If you alo recompile modules and install them they will be wiped.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrd wrote:
If you only recompile your kernel your modules will not be wiped. If you alo recompile modules and install them they will be wiped.

But if you only recompile your kernel, the kernel won't recognize your current modules correctly, right?
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrd wrote:
bsolar wrote:

You're right, thanks for the precisation. When talking about "recompile the kernel" I was implying, modules included.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: