how to rebuild packages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
photonn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: how to rebuild packages? Reply with quote

I must start by saying I am a gentoo noob.

I just spent the last two days building from stage1. I have one on of those VIA EPIA-M motherboards with the VIA C3/Ezra processors on it. So, I was interested in building from scratch to get the processor support correct. Also, I used the ac-sources kernel as this has Alan Cox's patches to support the chipset used on this board.

But on to my problem. For some reason, the /etc/make.conf file I created during the install was not persisted/saved after installation. I noticed this during my first emerge after booting the system for the first time. I could tell something was wrong because I saw -m686 flying all over the screen as WindowMaker was compiling.

After WMaker emerged, I checked /etc/make.conf and found:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
when I know that I set it to i586 during the install. Worse still, I need 586 because the VIA chip does not fully support the 686 instruction set!

So, my question is this: How do I rebuild WindowMaker (and all the stuff that it depended on and installed at the same time) with my corrected (586) /etc/make.conf?

It is an interesting general question anyway. Let's say I change my USE="" significantly, and I want that change to ripple through all the installed stuff. How do you update the system to reflect changes in the /etc/make.conf ???
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how to rebuild packages? Reply with quote

photonn wrote:
So, my question is this: How do I rebuild WindowMaker (and all the stuff that it depended on and installed at the same time) with my corrected (586) /etc/make.conf?
emerge -up -deep WindowMaker should work. Remove the "p" to actually perform the emerge.

Quote:
It is an interesting general question anyway. Let's say I change my USE="" significantly, and I want that change to ripple through all the installed stuff. How do you update the system to reflect changes in the /etc/make.conf ???
You'll have to emerge every package that you want to use the new settings.

emerge -up --deep world would probably be a start. Not sure if that would get everything.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.

Last edited by pjp on Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
photonn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... something is wrong here.

When I do "emerge -u -deep WindowMaker"
I get :
**** Warning: Redundant use of --emptytree

So, I assume that you meant for me to "emerge -u --deep WindowMaker"
Which says:
>>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

So, unless I misunderstood you, this is not the solution to the problem because it will not force the emerge.
jmauro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

emerge -ep --deep WindowMaker to test what needs to be rebuilt
emerge -e --deep WindowMaker to rebuild everything

You'll probably be stuck rebuilding a lot of the system so using world instead of WindowMaker might be an idea as well.
photonn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo!

It was the -e switch that did it. Looks like this will turn into a 3-day install :)

This is my first experience with Gentoo. It has been a pain so far in terms of time. But, I will wait until I get it all working and use it a while before I pass judgement. This level of control just may be what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help! (Now I am going to go read the emerge man page for the 3rd time and see if I can figure out why RTFMing did not work for me earlier :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photonn wrote:
So, I assume that you meant for me to "emerge -u --deep WindowMaker"
Oops, typo (fixed). --deep is correct.
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question here. I'm planning on compiling a new kernel (mainly because of a new gcc version) and rebuilding my entire system. The right command seems to be emerge -e --deep world, but what happens with Portage. It has to stop after building it, and then if I retried to give the same command it would stop again. Is this an issue or is emerge "smart" about that? What can I do to make the bloody thing advance from there?

Also, does the order matter? i.e, should I emerge -e and then recompile the kernel, or the other way?

Thanks, and sorry for resurrecting the thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: