Gentoo Installation and CD Burner issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig_Williamson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Gentoo Installation and CD Burner issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just installed Gentoo1.4 RC2 following the instructions to the letter and I can't get my CD Burner working properly. :(

I have compiled the appropriate SCSI modules and added the extra scsi line into grub, but I don't know what to put into /etc/fstab. At the moment it is listed as being /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

Can someone please tell me what I have done wrong. :oops:

Also I don't know what you guys think of this, but it would be good to list what you do to get the CD Burner running properly under Gentoo. I can't find anything to tell me how to do it. Cheers and thanks in advance for the help.
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great Linux CD-Writing-HOWTO that will guide you through the entire thing. You can use /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in your fstab. On my system /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 symlink to dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd which is used by ide-scsi (I think).

One gotcha is that you need to disable ide-cdrom support, otherwise the ide-scsi will not be able to load.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are all kinds of ways to get CD burning working in Linux. Just recently (since cdrtools 2.0) you can now burn to an ATAPI (IDE) CD-RW drive without SCSI-emulation. I am doing this now as we speak. So if you have cdrtools 2.0 emerged you can just try executing this to see if cdrecord will recognize your burner using the ATAPI interface.

cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus

if that doesn't give you any results try simply executing

cdrecord -scanbus

to see if your SCSI-emulation is working, which will make your burner appear as a SCSI device. You can use the /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 in your fstab regardless of how your drive is detected (as IDE or SCSI-emulation).

Hope that can get you going in the right direction. If you have any more questions feel free to post them here. Also you will likely want to add your users to the cdrw group so they can access the drive for writing.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Craig_Williamson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bonez, I'll check it out.

If not I'll try Jimbow's way.

Thanks guys, you have been a great help.
mjoswig
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Installation and CD Burner issues Reply with quote

Craig_Williamson wrote:
Hi All,
[deleted]
I have compiled the appropriate SCSI modules and added the extra scsi line into grub, but I don't know what to put into /etc/fstab. At the moment it is listed as being /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

Can someone please tell me what I have done wrong. :oops:
[deleted]

Leave that line in /etc/fstab as it is. Once ide-scsi is running, /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 is a link to the real interface, ususally ../scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Do you have another CD (or DVD) in your computer? Then perhaps you have to use /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 instead of cdrom0.

As the others mentioned: cdrecord -scanbus should list your burner.

Try /sbin/lsmod and look for the modules ide-scsi, sr_mod and sg If they aren't there, check your kernel configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: