Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Heres what happened to me... Reply with quote

I had an Xorg problem where the screen would freeze at random but the pointer would still move. The keyboard was locked also and I could not cancel the Xorg. However, this is how I fixed my problem.

I have a Via chipset, it has a built in integrated video card. I set this option in the xorg.conf:

Option "NvAGP" "1"

That options lets xorg know you want to use Nvidia's internal AGP. Yet when I ran lsmod I saw the "via_agp" module loaded. Nvidia should be rendering everything, that module I think was the integrated card on my motherboard. So I removed that module and the freezes have stopped. I want to know if everyone else with these problems have similar modules loaded?
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same option set in xorg.conf but I don't see anything agp with lsmod. I still have the lockups every once in a while.
AhronZombi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dona wrote:
I had similar problems, Xorg locked up right away, when I tried to log in. Solution for me was:
1. I disabled IPV6 in /etc/hosts and added "KDE_NO_IPV6 = 1" to /etc/env.d/99kde-env
2. I added host before localhost into /etc/hosts > 127.0.0.1 host localhost

Xorg and kde became stable and much faster.
i think this might be a winner and seems to increase speed. ill let you know if i crash
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recompiled everything (kdelibs wasn't enough, I also had to fix qt) with -ipv6 in USE flags and haven't had a freeze in over two days. This isn't yet decisive, but with other reports is indicative of things. Since ipv6 is new as a default, perhaps it explains the manifold ways in which things can go wrong. For example, if one has recently recompiled firefox/konqueror's dependencies that particular program shows problems.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: ipv6 Reply with quote

Ok, at the end it is ipv6, but it is a mixture of it (my suspicion after all was true ::)), i don't understand why the hell it is in the default use flags in the new portage profile. So to get it short - I don't have lockups with firefox and mozilla-based browsers any more after I have recompiled the kernel with tcpip6 in it, but now i experience the kde lockups, which as i read the thread are based on another reincarnation of this problem (I simply decided to try the new! kde3.4 and was amazed to see how it freezes the xorg):::)))well probably we must bug the developers to take out the ipv6 from the profile, because it causes so much hard to find problems and after all it is the only valid profile in the portage (which means it should be stable):::((((
AhronZombi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: ipv6 Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
Ok, at the end it is ipv6, but it is a mixture of it (my suspicion after all was true ::)), i don't understand why the hell it is in the default use flags in the new portage profile. So to get it short - I don't have lockups with firefox and mozilla-based browsers any more after I have recompiled the kernel with tcpip6 in it, but now i experience the kde lockups, which as i read the thread are based on another reincarnation of this problem (I simply decided to try the new! kde3.4 and was amazed to see how it freezes the xorg):::)))well probably we must bug the developers to take out the ipv6 from the profile, because it causes so much hard to find problems and after all it is the only valid profile in the portage (which means it should be stable):::((((
if its becaus eof the new profile this cant be it. this was happening about 2 weeks before my profile was updated. also i dont use kde, this happens with anything once it even happened in gdm, its xorg in genral. big bug thats effecting allot of people and dosent look like we can figure it out. figures once i get a good stable gnome 2.10 system with beagle and all the flashy stuff, this happens
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated my profile to 2005.0 yesterday, but ipv6 had quite suddenly become the default many weeks earlier, I didn't note exactly when.
dona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I comment out all of these lines, like this:

# IPV6 versions of localhost and co
#::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
#fe00::0 ip6-localnet
#ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
#ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
#ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Beside this I put

Section "Device"
Option "NoAccel" # ["True"]

in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
klaashaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dona wrote:

This worked for me, I don't seem to have any random freezes anymove. But KDE feels awfully slow now, so this is definately not an ideal solution. Anyone has another suggestion?
dona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried now this:

1. I commented out:

Section "Device"

in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

so now it is like this:

Section "Device"
#Option "NoAccel" # ["True"]

2. Then I commented out glx and dri in my xorg.conf (I don,t have hardware 3D acceleration)

Here is a link about this: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml

I don't know, maybe kde is now faster, at least it doesn't freeze anymore.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ipv6 Reply with quote

AhronZombi wrote:
Gergan Penkov wrote:
if its becaus eof the new profile this cant be it. this was happening about 2 weeks before my profile was updated. also i dont use kde, this happens with anything once it even happened in gdm, its xorg in genral. big bug thats effecting allot of people and dosent look like we can figure it out. figures once i get a good stable gnome 2.10 system with beagle and all the flashy stuff, this happens

Hi, let say so, xorg is not m$ windows, it is network windowing interface, which means that when sth is to be shown it uses some networking to communicate between the server and the client (it could be tcp/ip4, tcp/ip6, udp or mmaped sort of them). In this case I had simply noticed a bunch of socket errors before the server starts (which were of tcp/ip6 nature) and after that I began to see the lockups. After I have recompiled the kernel with tcp/ip6 enabled I don't experience them any more in gnome and firefox, but kde starts no more. I don't even now if kde have ever started, because I use exceptionally gnome and xfce4. The other posts here show that there is solution for the kde problems and it is connected with the tcp/ip6. I suppose that the problem is even more deeper in the system and I think the main culprit is glibc not xorg or mozilla or kde, because there were a bunch of tcp/ip6 problems with glibc earlier.
Yes this is a vile problem, but just try to follow the solutions in the thread probably this will help you.
AhronZombi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ipv6 Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
AhronZombi wrote:
Gergan Penkov wrote:

Hi, let say so, xorg is not m$ windows, it is network windowing interface, which means that when sth is to be shown it uses some networking to communicate between the server and the client (it could be tcp/ip4, tcp/ip6, udp or mmaped sort of them). In this case I had simply noticed a bunch of socket errors before the server starts (which were of tcp/ip6 nature) and after that I began to see the lockups. After I have recompiled the kernel with tcp/ip6 enabled I don't experience them any more in gnome and firefox, but kde starts no more. I don't even now if kde have ever started, because I use exceptionally gnome and xfce4. The other posts here show that there is solution for the kde problems and it is connected with the tcp/ip6. I suppose that the problem is even more deeper in the system and I think the main culprit is glibc not xorg or mozilla or kde, because there were a bunch of tcp/ip6 problems with glibc earlier.
Yes this is a vile problem, but just try to follow the solutions in the thread probably this will help you.
thats easy ill just compile ipv6 if thats all i need to fix it. i dont use kde anyway due to its lack of style
jery_wang2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ady1980"]
xgrtl wrote:
Am I the only one who had an easily reproduceable version of this bug?

No you are not.

My system:
P4 2.4GHz + 1GB RAM + Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440,
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 + Nvidia 7174 + 2.6.10 kernel 686

If enable
RenderAccel "true"

system locks up, only mouse moves

but if I disable RenderAccel the lockup is gone.

I can reproduce the lockup very consistently without failure ;-) when I enable RenderAccel

in Gnome, launch konqueror from the menu, when the first window appear -> locks up

Visit (using firefox 1.0.2):
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/email/src/java/org/apache/
and then click
commons

-> locks up

Someone had sucess with turning of APIC in bios and put noapic and nolapic at kernel boot up option so that he can set RenderAccel "true". But in my case, it doesn't work.

I have tried many things but the only stable solution is to turn off RenderAccel.

How irritating since I like antialiased fonts in Linux and I cannot use RenderAccel to make it fast.
[quote="ady1980"]
xgrtl wrote:

I usually use gnome, but my system locked up every time I tried to launch a KDE session, while trying to show the splash screen (only part of it appeared, and that was all). It ONLY happened with GLX enabled and the 1.0.7167 closed-source nvidia driver version

For more info, my system is a P4 2.0GHz, 768 MBytes RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440, gentoo with all up-to-date ~x86 packages.[/code]

Hello,
I Have setting up a new gentoo on my laptop with the 2005.0 live-cd, because the toshiba service center recovered my laptop with Win***.

I use
-xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
-nvidia-kernel-1.0.7167-r1 and then 7174
-KDE 3.4

Ever I start kde, the splashscreen hang like yours story.

I swithced back to kde 3.3.2 but that also hangup
I switched to fluxbox and xfce4 and it run nice, I only run it at a testcase a few minutes and visited two or three sites with firefox, so I had no randomly locks.

Now, I am do a emerge --emptytree kde (kde 3.3.2), because a search hours and hours for that problem.

After my emptytree is done, I probe the older drivers.

My Laptop is a Toshiba 5200-801 with 1GB RAM an a nvidia 460 Go

I will keep you informed about my results.[code]
jery_wang2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhex wrote:
Here same problem. NVidia 6xxx/7xxx, KDE, Kernel 2.6.11, AMD64 3000+ 32bit Gentoo.

Starting konqueror as webbrowser freezes X. Mouse cursor works but no keyboard.
No reaction from desktop no clock update in the panel.
Login from another comp shows 99% cpu for the X process.
Killing the process with -9 brings me back to kdm.

Another application that freezes the desktop is a wine application called t@x2005.
Here it loads the splashscreen then stutters then freeze.

Running xorg with the buildin nvidia driver shows no lockups.

Same problem as mine.
My system:
P4 2.4GHz + 1GB RAM + Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440,
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 + Nvidia 7174 + 2.6.10 kernel 686

If enable
RenderAccel "true"

system locks up, only mouse moves

but if I disable RenderAccel the lockup is gone.

I can reproduce the lockup very consistently without failure Wink when I enable RenderAccel

in Gnome, launch konqueror from the menu, when the first window appear -> locks up

Visit (using firefox 1.0.2):
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/email/src/java/org/apache/
and then click
commons

-> locks up
AhronZombi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can now confirm installing ipv6 dosent fix this. man this sucks. i wander how many people are experianceing this, i want a stable interface back. i reboot like 10-20 times a day now. too bad im not a programmer or a genius. please positive spirits bless this softwar eand help us fix it. ill pray for a fix
mesch.t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I too experienced those lockups for some weeks now - only while surfing with firefox. (with opera everything was normal)
Yesterday i installed xfce4 which also locks up my machine randomly.
I commented out RenderAccel in xorg.conf and now i'm surfing for about 2,5 hours without a lockup - which is WAY longer than before...
greetings, mesch.t
jery_wang2002
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhronZombi wrote:
i can now confirm installing ipv6 dosent fix this. man this sucks. i wander how many people are experianceing this, i want a stable interface back. i reboot like 10-20 times a day now. too bad im not a programmer or a genius. please positive spirits bless this softwar eand help us fix it. ill pray for a fix

I have been looking for a fix since two weeks ago and none seems to be available.

There are too many people experiencing this problem. Why? because it doesn't matter what distro, what driver, what card, whatever whatever, you use, you may have this problem.

It could be nvidia driver, xorg, kernel, noapic, nolapic, ipv6 you name it, arrows have been flying around. And nobody seems to take responsibility/ownership of this problem. It's interesting isn't it?

But, for my case what triggers the lockup is the new installation of nvidia 7174 in my ubuntu hoary during routine updates.
zenbow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

My first Gentoo ran for about 1 year and i didn"t had a single crash in this time.
Then i reinstalled it from scratch (last week). So everytime i browsed the net
(with firefox) i got a crash.
I tried many things said here in this thread.

- tried nvidia-drivers x86 and ~x86
- tweaked xorg-conf with/without glx, composite, ...
- recompiled my whole system with -ipv6
- agp on/agp off in kernel/bios

nothing worked for me. I wanted to switch to XFree but it wasn"t in Portage anymore :)
Then i switched from nvidia to nv in xorg.conf and my system is running stable since then.

zenbow
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: lockups Reply with quote

Ok, I surrender for now. I have had 4 days without lockups after I had compiled the kernel with ipv6, after that I decided to play with gnome and to update it to sth which shoud be gnome 2.10.1 or sth like that, the files are already on the gnome ftp and I have bumped some ebuilds, but for one of the packages I needed the new hal and dbus. I have installed them with some success ... and started the X ....ok epiphany locked the whole thing up when it started ... amazing and it is reproducible immediatly after starting epiphany the system locks up, even after the downgrade of all th stuff. Ok I am now on recompiling the whole system without ipv6. The problem is that glibc has no ipv6 flag and use the kernel headers which are probably conigured to have ipv6. I have read a little bit about ipv6 and glibc. It seems that for 1 year are some problems with the dns-resolution of ipv6, which hangs for ages (no matter that the address, which has to be reoluted is ipv4) and so on. I am still convinced that ipv6 is the problem, because the only things, which I had updated before the lockups appeared, were the profile and glibc (which probably is also guilty) and probably the headers, and some insignificant packages :::))) I haven't update also the mozilla based browsers since than.And strangely enough with opera I don't have any lockups. Kde stuff also always locks the system.
stalynx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past week or so I've had problems with X.org locking during firefox usage. I've tried several solutions posted here but to no avail. Now tonight while I was sleeping my X.org locked up during xscreensaver. This is really pissing me off. What kernel versions are u all using? I'm using 2.6.11-nitro2 which I thought may be the culprit but apparently many people are having this problem spread over different kernel versions. I'm gonna try a different kernel and see what happens.
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Heres an update... Reply with quote

I thought removing the module called, "via_agp", and using Nvidia's internal AGP fixed the problem. Actually all it did was make the system run more stable for a longer period of time, but eventually I still got a freeze after about a week.

I have been combating this problem for about a month now, I've been from site to site and thread to thread. I think we should collect and organize all this information. If we look at all the information at once maybe we can have a revelation after looking at all the information as a whole.

As for me I have tried quite a few things already. I was on Mandrake(Xfree) and it had MAJOR FREEZES, my system frozed the most under Mandrake and Xfree, I could only be in Linux for about 30 minutes to an hour before it happened. Then I tried Fedora(Xorg) and there were much less freezes, but I still got freezes about every 2 or 3 days. I started thinking maybe all the modules from those Distro's were fighting for resources and freezing my system so I installed Gentoo. Gentoo has been the most stable, I've been getting about 5 to 7 days of service before my system locks up. So one thing we know for sure is that the freezes are not distro based.

I have also done a few other things. I have messed with my Xorg.conf. I tried commenting out third button emulation and the mouse wheel. I've also switch to the new Nvidia driver 7167, that didn't help. I've even thought perhaps it was a faulty video card and bought a new one, however still...no dice.

From the forums that I have visited, I have read that when people switched their hardware but used the same harddrive the random hanging stopped. So it may be hardware problem also, consider that. I hope this helps, we really gotta fix this.
alaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all pissed off. I'm especially pissed off because everytime I try one of the suggestions on this thread X decides to crash on me like right away. The evil spirit inside my machine is teasing me......grrrrrrrrr.

My current configuration is:

kernel version 2.6.11-gentoo-r5
nvidia kernel 1.0.7174
AMD Athlon XP 2400
xorg version 6.8.2-r1

Anyway, I was able to reproduce my crash. If I run Firefox and try to resize the window from the bottm corner (left or right, doesn't matter) I get a bone chilling X freeze. It immediately takes up 99.9% of my CPU and that is it........dead.
alaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that it's not really Firefox that is making my X freeze. It's the repainting of the window. So all I do is grab a window from the corner and go nuts in a resizing frenzy. Just move the mouse all over the screen. In less than 10 seconds of this X freezes every single time.

I doubt that this is an IPv6 problem. This to me looks like an Xorg bug. I'd be surprised if it turned out to be anything else.
stalynx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is my current configuration

x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 (I use open source ati drivers)
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1
sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2
sys-kernel/nitro-sources-2.6.11-r2

I'm going to compile linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 and move over to that. See if it makes any difference.

I doubt its ipv6 too I compiled my kernel with ipv6 support and no difference. Also prior to this bug I had no mention of ipv6 in my use flags. Now I put -ipv6. If anything was compiled with ipv6 support prior it gave me no problems.
Patr|ck_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this problem, but instead of the cursor still moving, it does not. Everything freezes, I can't "CTRL ALT BACKSPACE" or anything... I thought it may be firefox but it happened in Mozilla, too.

I'm starting to think it may be ndiswrapper... anyone else?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: