View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Opera slowness... Reply with quote

Im using the latest static opera from opera.com...was real nice when i started using it(been a while), but its taking the same path as Windows does generally: starts real quick for a while, then begins slowing down until its unusable
well, Opera has gotten to that stage for me....i typed half this post before anything even appeared in that text buffer...if i scroll with my mousewheel its all sluggish and laggy, switching between tabs takes over 10 seconds...redrawing takes bloody ages, im getting speeds under 2k/sec even though i get 200k/sec in mozilla...what the hell?
any ideas what might cause this? i looked in top, and opera is taking about 30% cpu (p3 450) and 15% mem (393 ram total), whereas it used to take around 3% cpu and 5% mem when i first began to use it(and i was with 20 tabs back then, as i am today)
it even takes over 10 seconds for the cursor to change if i move it over a link
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what causes it but it may look like either:
a) A memory leak causing the program to gobble up memory and cpu.

b) If you have been visiting webpages that uses Flash and/or java, it may be the source of your problem.

You didn't specify the version of Opera either. I would also recommend that you take a look at the Opera Homepage to see if it is a known issue.

Erik
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no flash, no java...
could be a mem leak, but caused by what?
ill take a peek at the opera homepage....
ive also been getting quite a few weird crashes on opera lately...whereas id just change desktop and itd disappear...i tried to reproduce it when loading it from a console, to no avail

edit: nope, nothing on opera's website
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my professional work, I know how difficult it is to trace these kind of problems. I do not know the internals of Opera of course, but I would think it has some form of switches, probably hidden, that will allow you to dump the internal state of Opera for debugging. This is why I directed you to the Opera Homepage and their support since this is very hard to debug since we do not have the source code and attaching strace will not give us much of value.

It may ofcourse be a combination of several things, new X version, new KDE or Gnome.

A memory leak is often created when the programmer allocates memory to an internal variable and forgets to free the memory after use. Next time the same variable is referenced, more memory will be allocated and that is how you create a memory leak. Hard to debug without the source code.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Erik
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks anyways...
using enlightenment btw...already got enough slowness as it is without KDE/gnome, not gonna add that to my pc's burden :)

ps: heh i tried opera 7 on windows at college today...god its sweet...=p
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't mean that you should install KDE or Gnome, just that the slowness might have been caused by emerging new versions of either, but you have obviously not done so :)

Did you upgrade X recently btw?

Erik
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope...been on version 4.2.1-2 for a long time
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing my .opera dir seems to have fixed it somehow, was probably some weirded out setting that was messing everything up
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: