View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Stage 1/3 Installation Guide for 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3 Reply with quote

:arrow: 2005-08-07: This version of the Guide is being retired in favor of the newer version for Gentoo 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.4:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229.html

The Text of This Tutorial is Copyright 2005 by Bob P. / The Jackass! Project. All Rights Reserved.

:arrow: PDF Now Available. Click Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1/3 Installation for Gentoo 2005.0 and GCC 3.4.3

This is an Update to the Stage 1/3 NPTL Installation Method for Gentoo 2004.3

WARNING: This is an ADVANCED installation method. The amount of time required for you to complete this type of installation will equal or exceed that of any other Gentoo installation method. Your time will be well invested, though, as the result will be a very stable Gentoo system. This installation method may prove to be somewhat difficult and cumbersome for users who are new to Gentoo. It will prove especially painful for users who plan to install Gentoo old hardware.

NOTE: The Documentation, Tips & Tricks Forum is NOT a support forum. If you should encounter problems during your Gentoo installation, please DO NOT post requests for assistance to this thread. Please seek help in the support thread that is dedicated to this installation method.

Faster than a Speeding Bullet...

More Powerful than a Locomotive!

How To Build a Fast and Bulletproof Gentoo System -- Stage 1 NPTL Installation on a Stage 3 Tarball Using GCC 3.4.3

Introduction

Any Gentoo installation that is performed with anything other than a Stage 3 tarball suffers from two problems: They suffer from circular dependencies within the base system, and they have the potential to leave behind unwanted files from the stage tarball because /var/db/pkg is incomplete.

As rac noted, "There are some 80+ packages in a stage1ball that are not listed in /var/db/pkg. Why? When you do your "emerge system", you would want your new toolchain to be used to compile all software. If portage sees that a particular version from the stageball is still current, it will omit it. The solution that somebody apparently chose was to make portage forget that most of this software is installed at all, which has the unfortunate side effect of making portage be unable to clean it when your "emerge system" finishes."

So it seems that there are some good reasons to never install from a Stage 1 tarball, and some good reasons to always install from a Stage 3 tarball. The good news is that you can perform a Stage 1 installation using a Stage 3 tarball and have the best of both worlds.

With the advent of Gentoo 2005.0 the situation has improved markedly for users who wish to perform Stage 1 installs. Unfortunately, the GCC 3.4.3 toolkit components remain testing branch ebuilds. As such, Gentoo 2005.0 continues to ship with a stable branch GCC 3.3.x compiler. Until such time that the GCC 3.4.3 compiler is reclassified into the stable software branch, the Stage 1/3 installation method will continue to be necessary for those who wish to upgrade to a GCC 3.4.3-based toolkit.

Objective

This Installation Guide will describe how to perform a "Stage 1 on 3" installation of Gentoo on a Pentium-class x86 platform using 2005.0 installation media, a single CD-ROM drive and a single EIDE hard disk. It will take advantage of the latest 2.6 kernels, NPTL threading, udev, and the latest GCC 3.4.3 compiler.

As you read this, you might be thinking: "Why a Pentium-class PC?" Depending upon how you look at it, the answer can be simple or complex; The simple answer is that a Pentium-class PC was the only computer that I had left when I was developing this Guide that didn't already have Gentoo installed on it. As I wrote the original version of this Guide I was working on a project to turn that PC into a linux-based a router.

The complex answer relates to compatability of this installation method on a heterogeneous group of PCs; A pentium processor is probably the most recent platform that is a common ancestor for all of the x86-class processors (AMD or Intel) that Gentoo is likely to run upon.

When you follow this Guide, please resist the temptation to blindly follow it unless you are installing on a system that has a Pentium processor. You should always choose the correct tarball and CHOST setting for your processor.

To perform a 2005.0 Stage 1/3 Installation, follow these steps:

1. Download and Burn the Minimal Installation CD. The .ISO image required for the hardware used in this example is
Code:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.0/installcd/install-x86-minimal-2005.0.iso

2. Boot using the Minimal Installation CD. At the "boot:" prompt, press <Enter> to select the default gentoo kernel.

3. Configure LAN Card. We're assuming that your LAN card has been recognized and that you can obtain a LAN connection via DHCP.

Code:
# dhcpcd eth0

4. Configure Your Hard Disk

4.1 View the Hard Drive's Operational Parameters. In this example we will assume that only one hard disk will be installed on the system. It will be recognized by Gentoo as /dev/hda. We will start off by viewing the default disk parameters at boot:

Code:
 # hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq    = 0 (off)
using_dma    = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly     = 0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 120034123776, start = 0

# hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

Model=WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0, FwRev=08.02D08, SerialNo=WD-WMAL92634373
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq}
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=57600, SectSize=600, ECCbytes=74
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=8192kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=234441648
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
AdvancedPM=no, WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: device does not report version:

* signifies the current active mode

4.2 Tweak the Hard Disk Parameters with Hdparm. In this example we're using a WD1200JB. Its possible to get a little better performance out of this drive by issuing a few parameters with hdparm. The following parameters work well with this drive:

Code:
# hdparm -a256A1c1d1m16u1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
setting fs readahead to 256
setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
setting multcount to 16
setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
setting drive read-lookahead to 1 (on)
multcount    = 16 (on)
IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
using_dma    =  1 (on)
readahead    = 256 (on)

4.3 Test the Hard Drive's Performance.

Typical results for a Pentium-class PC without UDMA:

Code:
# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing cached reads:   144 MB in  2.04 seconds =  70.60 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:   26 MB in  2.65 seconds =    9.81  MB/sec

Typical results for a Pentium 3 with UDMA66:

Code:
# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing cached reads:   520 MB in  2.01 seconds =  258.75 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:   114 MB in   3.01 seconds =  37.90  MB/sec

4.4 Partition the Hard Drive

4.4.1 Display the Partition Information

Technically, the syntax of this command is used to change the partition information, but on an unpartitioned drive it will display the partition information that is available:

Code:
# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 14593.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and in certain setups could cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Command (m for help):

4.4.2 Plan Our Partition Scheme:

To keep it simple, we're going to use the following partition scheme. I'll leave out the details, assuming that you know how to partition your hard disk.

Code:
Partition File System    ID  Size      Description
/dev/hda1 ReiserFS 3.6   83  100 MB    Boot partition
/dev/hda2 (swap)         82  512 MB    Swap partition
/dev/hda3 ReiserFS 3.6   83  Remainder Root Partition

4.4.3 Partition the Hard Disk (Boring details omitted in the interest of brevity)

4.4.4 Verify the partition configuration.

Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device     Boot   Start    End     Blocks    Id  System
/dev/hda1    *        1     13     104391    83  Linux
/dev/hda2            14     76     506047+   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3            77  14593  116607802+   83  Linux

4.4.5 Exit Fdisk and Save the Partition Layout Press "w" to write the partition table to disk and exit fdisk.

Code:
Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks

4.5 Installing File Systems. This example covers the installation of Reiser FS 3.6 on the /boot and /root partitions, and swap on the /swap partition.

4.5.1 Install Reiser FS on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda3:

Code:
# mkreiserfs /dev/hda1 && mkreiserfs /dev/hda3

You will need to answer "Y" when asked if you want to continue installing Reiser FS on the hard disk.

4.5.2 Install the swap partition on /dev/hda2:

Code:
# mkswap /dev/hda2 && swapon /dev/hda2

4.6 Mounting the File Systems. Mount the partitions using the "mount" command.

Code:
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

5. Installing the Gentoo Installation Files.

5.1 Download the Stage 3 Tarball from the Internet.

Go to the gentoo mount point on your hard disk:

Code:
# cd /mnt/gentoo

We will need to download 2 files from the mirrors: The Stage 3 tarball and its checksum file. These files are located on the mirrors in the following directory: /releases/x86/2005.0/stages/x86/

We will download the following four files using the "wget" command at the bash prompt. The entire command must be typed on one line:

Code:
# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.0/stages/x86/stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2

# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.0/stages/x86/stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2.md5

If you need to check the list of Gentoo Mirrors, Click Here.
(If your architecture is not x86 you will need to change the path and filename to suit your needs.)

5.2 Verify the md5sum of the Tarballs.

Code:
# md5sum -c stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2.md5
stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2: OK

5.3 Unpack the Stage 3 Tarball. Unpack the Stage 3 tarball using the following command.

Code:
tar -xjpvf stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2

Now is a good time to take a break to re-dose with some caffeine, as this will take a little while...

5.4 Installing Portage

5.4.1 Download a Fresh Portage Snapshot from the Internet.

Code:
# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/<most_recent_snapshot>.tar.bz2

5.4.2 Extract the Portage Snapshot

Code:
tar -xjvf /mnt/gentoo/<portage_snapshot>.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

The Portage snapshot files are named in the format "portage-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2", where YYYY, MM, and DD represent the numbers of the year, month, and day that the snapshot was created. As I write this Installation Guide, the most recent portage snapshot is portage-20050101.tar.bz2, so the commands to download, verify and extract the snapshot would look like this:

Code:
# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-20050326.tar.bz2
# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-20050326.tar.bz2.md5sum
# md5sum -c portage-20050326.tar.bz2.md5sum
# tar -xjvf /mnt/gentoo/portage-20050326.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

Some of these steps will take a while to complete.

6. Installing the Gentoo Base System

6.1 Copy DNS Information Copy the DNS information in /etc/resolv.conf to ensure that networking works in our new Gentoo environment.

Code:
# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

6.2 Mount the proc filesystem We will mount the /proc file system to allow our Gentoo installation to use kernel-provided information within the chrooted environment.

Code:
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab

6.3 Chroot into the New Environment

Code:
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# source /etc/profile

6.4 Set the Date and Time

6.4.1 Set the Correct Date and Time.

The date command uses the syntax MMDDHHMMYYYY, where MM is the month, DD is the day, HHMM is the time, and YYYY is the year. As I type this, it is Sunday March 27, 2005 at 19:30:

Code:
# date 032719302005
Sun Mar 27 19:30:00 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2005

6.4.2 Set the Time Zone Symlink.

This example displays the available time zone selections for the Western Hemisphere:

Code:
# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/America

I'll set the local time zone to Central Time because I live in Chicago. To do this, I first remove the symlink to the default time zone, and then replace it with a symlink to my local time zone:

Code:
# rm /etc/localtime
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime
Sun Mar 27 19:32:50 CST 2005

6.4.3 Get it Right for Daylight Savings Time.

The previous example showed how to select a city when setting the timezone symlink. It is my opinion that you should always choose a city that is in your time zone, and use the city to set the time zone symlink. You should NEVER choose a time zone as your symlink for the setting the time zone. Here's why:

I live in Chicagoland. By setting the timezone symlink to the nearest major city, Chicago, I don't have to worry about implementing Daylight Savings Time. Linux is smart enough to spring forward and fall back so that no changes to the system time are necessary on my part. This past weekend, when Chicago changed from Central Standard Time to Central Daylight Time, I watched with glee as the clocks on all of my linux PCs ticked from 01:59:59 CST to 03:00:00 CDT. (Just in case you were wondering, THAT is confirmation that I am a basement-dwelling linux g33k!) If I had made the mistake of setting the timezone symlink to CST, then linux would have kept my PC's clock on CST, even though the city that I live in had switched to CDT. In this case, I would either have to manually change my clock over from CST to CDT, or learn to live with a PC who's clock is off by an hour.

6.5 Configuring the USE Flags, Portage Options, and Compile Options: /etc/make.conf

In this example, we're compiling for the x86 architecture and a Pentium-class i586 subarchitecture. Our CHOST setting will be i586-pc-linux-gnu. Do not blindly follow the Guide and use this setting unless you are building for a 586-class computer! Use the appropriate tarball, CHOST setting, and architecture specifications for your processor.

This Guide uses a minimalist setting of the USE variable. You are free to add additional USE flags as needed for your specific system requirements, but it is recommended that you do not add them to /etc/make.conf until after you have completed the entire installation.

Please note: The specification of the "nptl" and the exclusion of the "nptlonly" USE flag is intentional, in order to provide both NPTL threading support in glibc as well as fallback support for linuxthreads. Use of the "nptlonly" USE flag is NOT recommended! The use of hardened GCC 3.4.3 is not recommended on any x86 systems except AMD64.

Code:
# cat /etc/make.conf

CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
GENTOO_MIRRORS="<your mirror goes here> http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks sandbox userpriv usersandbox"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"
RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes
USE="nptl"

6.6 Additional Portage Configuration

6.6.1 Create Portage Directories

The sample /etc/make.conf listed above specifies directories for Portage log files and overlays that are not included as part of a standard Gentoo installation. If you are going to use the logging and overlay functions listed in the sample make.conf file, then you will need to create two additional directories on your system.

Code:
# mkdir /var/log/portage
# mkdir /usr/local/portage

6.6.2 Package Keywords - Enabling GCC 3.4.3 in the Stable Branch

Skip this step and proceed to the next section if you have configured your system to use the "~x86" testing branch.

At the time that I write this guide, GCC 3.4.3 is part of the unstable or "testing" branch in Portage. If you will be using the "x86" stable branch of the software, then we need to configure Portage to enable the use of GCC 3.4.3 and some other toolkit components, even though they are currently classified in the testing branch.

To configure a stable branch system to utilize a testing branch ebuild, we need to let Portage know that we have approved this subset of the testing branch for use on our system. This is accomplished by specifying the name of the package and the applicable keyword in the /etc/portage/package.keywords file. We will enable support for four testing branch ebuilds in our system.

Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords

# for a 586 CHOST
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86
sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86
~sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125 ~x86

Code:

# for a 686 CHOST:
~sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110 ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

6.6.3 Update the Portage Tree

We will now update our portage snapshot to include the current portage tree.

Code:
emerge --sync

6.7 Activate User Locales

When compiling glibc (we'll do this in an upcoming step), Gentoo's default behavior is to compile a full set of all of the available user locales. We will activate the userlocales local USE flag to limit the compilation of userlocales to those that we specify. Limiting the scope of userlocales will save us a tremendous amount of time while compiling glibc. (While we're editing this file, we'll also add "ithreads" as a package-specific USE flag for perl and libperl to allow interpreter level threading. This flag is optional but recommended.)

6.7.1 Activate the userlocales USE flag for glibc

Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.use

sys-libs/glibc userlocales
sys-devel/libperl ithreads
dev-lang/perl ithreads

6.7.2 Specify the user locales to build.

Create the /etc/locales.build file with your favorite editor. I'm located in the USA, so I'll use the following values.

Code:
# cat /etc/locales.build

en_US/ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

7. Building the Toolkit

7.1 Building the Toolkit: GCC 3.3.5

To enable NPTL support we are required to use a 2.6 kernel and linux26-headers. Linux26-headers is now contained in the 2005.0 Stage 3 tarball, so it is no longer necessary to manipulate the linux headers as it was when installing with 2004.3 media.

Code:
# env-update && source /etc/profile
# emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc

This is a good opportunity to take an extended break, as these instructions will take quite some time to complete.

7.2 Re-Building the Toolkit: GCC 3.4.3

After emerging a new version of GCC, we need to pause for a moment and think about what we've done. We've just used GCC 3.3.5 and a toolchain built with GCC 3.3.5 to compile GCC 3.4.3. Before we spend any more time building our Gentoo system we should rebuild the entire toolchain, re-compiling it so that we have GCC 3.4.3 that was built with GCC 3.4.3.

Before we do this we need to examine /etc/make.conf and make changes to the CFLAGS statements in order to take advantage of the new performance-enhancing features of GCC 3.4.3. After making necessary updates to /etc/make.conf we need to rebuild the toolkit using the new GCC 3.4.3 compiler. The result will be a 3.4.3 tooklit, compiled by a 3.4.3 toolkit that was built with a 3.3.5 toolkit. Clear as mud? :roll:

7.2.1 Updating make.conf

Here are some settings for /etc/make.conf that may be worth considering. They are the actual CFLAGS that I used to build my systems and have proven reliable on multiple installations. They include extreme levels of code optimization (notice the -O3 flag), and some very safe and stable performance-enhancing CFLAGS. Depending upon your individual hardware, you may have to simplify some of the CFLAGS settings. Note that the referenced architecture in this example is Intel Pentium.

Code:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

If you don't feel comfortable using such extreme levels of optimization, you can ease-up on the CFLAGS settings and fall back to a less-optimized system. This will save you some compile time, at the expense of some system performance. You'll still be getting most of the benefits of GCC 3.4.3, so this isn't a bad compromise. This may be a better approach for those who don't want to be on the bleeding edge or don't want to spend time troubleshooting.

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}

7.2.2 Configuring the Default C Compiler

Although we have emerged GCC 3.4.3, it has not been automatically installed as our default compiler. If you have any doubts about this, take a quick peek at the output of "emerge info" or "gcc-config -l". Although GCC 3.4.3 has already been emerged, GCC 3.3.5 is still installed as out default compiler:

Code:
# gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardened
[7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednopie
[8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednossp

Change the default compiler to gcc 3.4.3-20050110 by issuing the following command:

Code:
# gcc-config 5

7.2.3 Updating the System Environment

An additional command updates our system environment:

Code:

7.2.4 Prune the GCC Compiler

Now that GCC 3.4.3 has been installed as our default compiler, we can prune GCC 3.3.5 from our system by issuing the following commands. First, verify that GCC 3.4.3 has indeed been installed as the default compiler using the "l" parameter with gcc-config. (Just to avoid any confusion, the parameter used is a small letter "L", not a "one."). Then, after confirming that GCC 3.4.3 has been installed as the default compiler, prune GCC 3.3.5 from your system.

Code:
# gcc-config -l 
# emerge -P gcc

7.2.5 Rebuilding the System Toolkit

Now its time to rebuild the toolkit. We'll start off by recompiling glibc, binutils, gcc, and by updating portage. This will rebuild our GCC 3.4.3 compiling toolkit (which had previuosly been compiled with GCC 3.3.5) with the GCC 3.4.3 compiler, taking advantage of our new USE flags and CFLAGS compiler settings.

Code:
# emerge glibc binutils gcc portage

Upon completion of the rebuild of the compiling toolkit, we will recompile the entire system to assure that our entire toolkit has been compiled using GCC 3.4.3 and our hardware-specific settings.

The result will be a 3.4.3 tooklit and an entire system that is built with a 3.4.3 toolkit, that was built with a 3.4.3 toolkit. :wink:

Code:
# emerge -e system 

7.2.6 Summary

Although these command have been broken down into separate steps for the purpose of clarity, they can be concatenated into three steps. The one-liners in Steps 1 and 3 will take quite some time to complete, and represent good opportunities for you to take an extended break while Gentoo does its thing.

Step 1:
Code:
# env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc

Step 2: update CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf

Step 3:
Code:
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge -P gcc && emerge glibc binutils gcc portage && emerge -e system

8.0 Building the World

8.1 Emerge Ccache (Optional)

Now that our toolkit has been built, we'll emerge the ccache program. Ccache is a compiler cache that will help to reduce compile times when previously compiled programs are being recompiled. It will not effect the time required to compile programs on the first pass, so this is an optional step. (Note: the ccache_size was set to 512 MB in the sample make.conf. If you have sufficient disk space, and you're planning on emerging a bloated window manager like Gnome or KDE (or if you are performing an emerge -e system or an emerge -e world), then you may want to increase the to something like ccache_size="2G".)

Code:
# emerge ccache

8.2 Emerging Programs

Now its time to add a few useful packages to our world profile:

Code:
# emerge syslog-ng xinetd grub vixie-cron reiserfsprogs sysfsutils dhcpcd hotplug coldplug gentoolkit

# emerge --nodeps acpid ntp

8.3 Updating the Environment

Now we'll add these services to the default runlevel. Here two ways to accomplish this task that are functionally equivalent. Choose the one you like best.

Code:
# rc-update add syslog-ng default
# rc-update add net.eth0 default
# rc-update add vixie-cron default
# rc-update add xinetd default
# rc-update add sshd default
# rc-update add hotplug default
# rc-update add coldplug default
# rc-update add acpid default
# rc-update add ntp-client default

or if you're an ub3r-g33k, try this cool bash loop :cool: that saves alot of typing:

Code:
for x in syslog-ng net.eth0 vixie-cron xinetd sshd hotplug coldplug acpid ntp-client ; do rc-update add $x default ; done

8.4 Configuring the NTP Client

In the previous steps we emerged a Network Time Protocol client to allow us to use NTP time servers to synchronize our system clock. In this step we'll configure the ntp-client to eliminate clock skew:

Code:
# ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org

9. Kernel

9.1 Downloading the Kernel

The decision to enable NPTL support requires that we use a 2.6 kernel. You are free to choose any flavor of 2.6 kernel that you like. In this example, we'll be using the Gentoo (Development) Sources kernel. Note that a 2.4 kernel will not work properly with this Installation Guide.

Code:
# emerge gentoo-sources

9.2 Building the Kernel Symlink

Code:
# rm /usr/src/linux
# cd /usr/src
# ln -s linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 linux

9.3 Configuration

9.3.1 Enable udev Support

Edit your /etc/conf.d/rc file so that it contains the following statements:

Code:
RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no"
RC_DEVICES="udev"
RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no" 

9.3.2 Configure Kernel Options

If you're following this Installation Guide, we're going to assume that you want the best performance from your system, and that you'll be using a custom-compiled kernel instead of genkernel. When configuring your kernel, be sure to include support for hotplug firmware loading. Also be sure to remove devfs filesystem support, as we are designing udev support into our system.

Configure the kernel:

Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig 

9.3.3 Compiling the Kernel

To compile your kernel and install the kernel and selected modules, issue the following command. I find that this one works a bit better than some of the other one-liner kernel compilation commands. If you should run into a problem where kernel compilation fails, its easy to determine where the problem was. In addition, this command will also install the kernel for you:

Code:
# make && make modules && make modules_install && make install 

10. Configuring the System

10.1 Configure Network Adapters

Configure your network adapters as recommended in the Gentoo Installation Handbook. In our case, we'll use DHCP:

Code:
# cat /etc/conf.d/net
iface_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10"

If this isn't suitable for you, consider these options as listed in the GIH:

Code:
# (For DHCP)
iface_eth0="dhcp"
# Some network admins require that you use the
# hostname and domainname provided by the DHCP server.
# In that case, add the following to let dhcpcd use them.
# That will override your own hostname and domainname definitions.
dhcpcd_eth0="-HD"
# If you intend on using NTP to keep your machine clock synchronized, use
# the -N option to prevent dhcpcd from overwriting your /etc/ntp.conf file
dhcpcd_eth0="-N"

#(For static IP)
iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway="eth0/192.168.0.1"

#(For rp-pppoe)
iface_eth0="up"

10.2 Set Hostnames and Domainnames

The following hostname and domainname locations referenced in the Gentoo Installation Handbook and some of the other HowTo appear to have been deprecated. The first example in each of the following two sections uses the old configuration method, which has been deprecated but this is not yet reflected in many of the installation guides. The second option in each of the following two examples is more current:

10.2.1 Set Your Hostname

The following examples provide instruction for setting the hostname on your Gentoo box. Since we're installing Gentoo on an old Pentium-class PC, we'll use the "boatanchor" as the hostname in this example.

Code:
# echo boatanchor > /etc/hostname

or
Code:
# cat /etc/conf.d/hostname
HOSTNAME="boatanchor"

10.2.2 Set Your Domainname

Code:
# echo mydomain.com > /etc/dnsdomainname
# echo nis.mydomain.com > /etc/nisdomainname

or
Code:
# cat /etc/conf.d/domainname
OVERRIDE=1
DNSDOMAIN="mydomain.com"
NISDOMAIN="nis.mydomain.com"

10.2.3 Update /etc/hosts

If nameservers on your network handle all name resolution, then you can skip this step.

If your PC is a standalone system, or if your PC has a static IP address and you don't have DNS entries for your machine in a nameserver somwehere on your network, then you should specify the following information in the /etc/hosts file.

Code:
127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain       localhost
static.ip.addr.ess    boatanchor.mydomain.com     boatanchor

The value of "static.ip.addr.ess" needs to be substituted with the IP address of your Gentoo box. For example, if your Gentoo box's IP address is 192.168.0.5, your /etc/hosts file should contain the following lines.

Code:
127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain       localhost
192.168.0.5      boatanchor.mydomain.com     boatanchor

10.2.4 Add domainname to the Default Runlevel

Code:
# rc-update add domainname default

10.3 Gensplash

For all of you eye-candy addicts who can't live without it, here's the section where we add gensplash to give us those ultra-cool :cool: framebuffer images in our consoles. Because some of us have really big monitors, we'll configure splash screens at your choice of 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 resolutions:

Code:
# emerge splashutils && splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768 -r 1024x768 emergence && splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024 -r 1280x1024 emergence && splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1600x1200 -r 1600x1200 emergence && rc-update add splash default

10.4 Grub Bootloader

10.4.1 Grub.conf

To boot our installation of Gentoo Linux we'll need to configure a boot menu for the Grub Bootloader. Use your favorite text editor to create the /boot/grub/grub.conf file. In this case we'll use nano:

Code:
# cd /boot/grub
# nano -w grub.conf

You can either cut and paste the following text into the file, or type it in manually. Note that the lines beginning with the word "kernel" and ending with the words "splash=verbose,theme:emergence" need to be typed on one line. In this example, we're using a 2.6.11 kernel, the vesafb-tng video driver, and the video= statements are formatted accordingly.

Code:
# Grub boot menu configuration file
#
# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

# By default, boot the second entry.
default 1

# Fallback to the first entry.
fallback 0

# Use default Grub Splash image
# splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#
# Use custom (downloaded) Gentoo Splash Image
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/gentoo.xpm.gz

# Boot Gentoo Linux (no framebuffer)
title Gentoo-2.6.11-r5 
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@85

# Boot Gentoo Linux at 1024x768 framebuffer resolution
title Gentoo-2.6.11-r5, 1024x768
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 splash=verbose,theme:emergence
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

# Boot Gentoo Linux at 1280x1024 framebuffer resolution
title Gentoo-2.6.11-r5, 1280x1024
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1280x1024-24@85 splash=verbose,theme:emergence
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024

# For installing GRUB into the hard disk
title Install GRUB into the hard disk
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

10.4.2 Installing Grub onto the Hard Disk

Start Grub from the command prompt and use the following commands to embed grub into the hard disk. Remember, when counting hard disks we like to start at 1, but Grub likes to start at 0, so /dev/hda1 corresponds to hard disk 0, partition 0 in Grub.

Code:
# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

10.4.3 Download a Cool :cool: Grub Splash Screen

We'll also download a cool Gentoo-specific splash screen for Grub.

Code:
wget http://www.schultz-net.dk/downloads/grub/gentoo.xpm.gz

10.5 Filesystem - Configuring fstab

This is a sample /etc/fstab file that reflects the disk partition scheme used earlier in this Installation Guide. Make changes as appropriate if your partition scheme is different.

Code:
# <fs>               <mountpoint>  <type>       <opts>               <dump/pass>
/dev/hda1            /boot         reiserfs     noauto,notail        1 2
/dev/hda3            /             reiserfs     notail               0 1
/dev/hda2            none          swap         sw                   0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom    iso9660      user,noauto,ro,exec  0 0
/dev/fd0             /mnt/floppy   auto         noauto,users         0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                 /proc         proc         defaults             0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                 /dev/shm      tmpfs        nodev,nosuid         0 0

10.6 Setting HD Paramaters

Back in Section 4 we developed optimized operating parameters for our hard disk. Now that we're in the chrooted environment of our newly designed Gentoo system, we need to make these configuration changes permanent. To do this, we'll write the HD parameters to the /etc/conf.d/hdparm file:

Code:
# cat /etc/conf.d/hdparm

disc0_args="-a256A1c1d1m16u1"
cdrom0_args="-d1c1u1"

After editing the contents of /etc/conf.d/hdparm type the following command to add hdparm to the boot runlevel.

Code:
# rc-update add hdparm boot

10.7 Set-Up User Accounts

We must change the password of the root user in our newly installed system. Then we will add non-root users to the system. Substitute the username examples "bob" and "mary" with your own usernames.

First, change the root password:

Code:
# passwd
New password: (Enter your new password)
Re-enter password: (Re-enter your password)

Now add users who will be allowed to "su" their way to temporary root status. These users must be added to the "wheel" user group:

Code:
# useradd -m -G users,wheel bob
# passwd bob
New password: (Enter bob's password)
Re-enter password: (Re-enter bob's password)

Now add non-root users to the system:

Code:
# useradd -m -G users mary
# passwd mary
New password: (Enter mary's password)
Re-enter password: (Re-enter mary's password)

10.8 Toggle NUMLOCK ON at Boot

If you'd like the NUMLOCK key to be toggled ON at system boot, execute the following command.

Code:
# rc-update add numlock default

10.9 Define Console Screen Blanking Interval

If you’re not happy with the standard screen blanking interval for the console (to me the screen always seems to blank too quickly), you can specify the desired interval (from 1 to 60 minutes) using the following command. Substitute “n” with the value of the desired blanking interval in minutes. A value of zero will disable screen blanking.

Code:
# setterm -blank n

This setting is only temporary; after rebooting the screen will resume blanking at the default interval. To make your changes permanent, issue the following command:

Code:
# echo “setterm –blank n” >> /etc/conf.d/local.start

10.10 Exiting Chroot and Unmounting Partitions

We will now exit the chrooted environment and unmount all of the mounted partitions.

Code:
exit
cd ~/
umount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo
swapoff /dev/hda2

11. REBOOT!

And now, the moment you've been waiting for!

Code:
# shutdown -r now

When the system reboots, you should be welcomed with the following greeting.

Code:
This is boatanchor.mydomain.com (Linux i586 2.6.10-gentoo-r2) HH:MM:SS

boatanchor login:

12. TROUBLESHOOTING

If you encounter problems after rebooting, consider the following:

:arrow: kernel configuration errors are the most common cause of failure on first boot.
:arrow: grub configuration errors are another common cause of failure on first boot.
:arrow: if you have device problems, read the Gentoo udev Guide.

Have fun with your new Gentoo system!

13. If You Need Help

Remember: The Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum is not a support forum:

Quote:
Documentation, Tips & Tricks
Unofficial documentation for various parts of Gentoo Linux. Note: This is not a support forum.
Moderator: Global Moderators

Please bear in mind that this thread is located in the Documentation, Tips & Tricks Forum, which is not a support forum. For this reason I would like to ask that we limit the context of this thread to posts that discuss problems with the Installation Guide that need to be corrected, or to ideas about how to improve the Stage 1 on 3 installation procedure itself. If you have a problem and you need help, please post your support request in the Official 2005.0 Stage 1 on 3 Support Thread in the Installing Gentoo forum.

At this time this Installation Guide has evolved to a fairly mature state, such that most problems that are likely to be encountered during an install are likely to be related to individual factors not attributable to the Installation Guide. It would seem fair if those who encountered problems with architecture specification, CFLAGS, etc. could post their requests for help in the appropriate support forums. (That way, once your personal support request is resolved, your problem will scroll off into oblivion instead of being preserved here forever, interspersed with this documentation.)

NOTE: Documentation, Tips & Tricks is NOT a support forum. Please do not post installation support requests into this thread. Please post in the support thread that is dedicated to this installation method.

14. Another Essential Tool: Emerge Wrapper for System Updates

This installation guide is focused on how to install Gentoo, and it specifically avoids the issue of how to maintain your Gentoo installation. Hielvc and MindEraser have developed a fabulous emerge wrapper for system updates that his highly recommended. Check out the following thread: An emerge wrapper for correctly building the toolchain.

15. Corrections, Errors, Omissions

Please let me know if there are any errors or omissions in this document by sending me a personal message through the Gentoo Forums by clicking the link below.

16. Downloadable PDF Now Available

A copy of this Installation Guide is now available in PDF format. Click Here.

Please note that this document is presently in a state of transition, and that revisions may be required if errors are found in the document.

17. Buy Me Stuff

If this Guide has helped you and you'd like to show your appreciation, feel free to visit my Stage 1/3 Web Page.

18. Revision History

04/05/05: Cut and Paste from Installing Gentoo.
04/15/05: PDF version of the Guide.
04/18/05: emerge -P gcc. Updated PDF.
06/04/05: package.keywords
07/14/05: corrected typos

Last edited by Bob P on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:15 pm; edited 23 times in total
rutski89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your guides Bob P :-D Used your older one for a 1/3 2004.3 install. First post, woohoo!
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8)
mrmonk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!

nice howto! keep up workin' man

greetings from austria (there are no kangaroos)
mrmonk
slydini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guide has worked great. The only thing I could not get working were the more extream CFLAGS settings so I had to back off to the stable values. It sure is nice having gentoo back on my laptop. Bob, keep up the good work.
Asmdroid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, great guide, I'm following it at the moment. :) I am very impressed with the speed of the optimizations.
paranonia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool, thanks Guy!
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... :)

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
hollywoodcole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

When I run the command
Code:

and then I do a gcc-config -l
I only get
Code:
# gcc-config -l

Not all 8 show up.
So is this becasue I didn't change my CFLAGS to look like yours?

Hollywoodcole.com
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollywoodcole wrote:
Question:

When I run the command
Code:

and then I do a gcc-config -l
I only get
Code:
# gcc-config -l

Not all 8 show up.
So is this becasue I didn't change my CFLAGS to look like yours?

Bob P wrote:
Code:
To configure a stable branch system to utilize a testing branch ebuild, we need to let Portage know that we have approved this subset of the testing branch for use on our system. This is accomplished by specifying the name of the package and the applicable keyword in the /etc/portage/package.keywords file. We will enable support for four testing branch ebuilds in our system.

Code:

sys-devel/gcc ~x86
sys-libs/glibc ~x86

Make sure you ahve done the above and remember that this is not the support thread.
This is. :)

Happy emerging... :)

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide, Bob.

Two points of critism if I may though.

Firstly why talk of toolkit . All other doc I has seen refers to the toolchain, as indeed you do in places. Using toolkit only can lead to confusion and gives the impression it refers to something else than the toolchain.

The other thing that would be most helpful is some help on network setup.

Assuming everyone has a nice little DCHP network with internet access already running is a bit light and pretty unrealistic.

Internet is essential for installing gentoo and this is one area where your guide really could help. I remember this being a major problem when I set up Gentoo and the officail guide was no more help.

Nice work anyway.
8)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Nice guide, Bob.

Two points of critism if I may though.

Firstly why talk of toolkit . All other doc I has seen refers to the toolchain, as indeed you do in places. Using toolkit only can lead to confusion and gives the impression it refers to something else than the toolchain.

on the subject of toolchain vs. toolkit, i am guilty as charged. :oops: i often use the two terms interchangeably, and i can understand how this could potentially create some confusion. so for the record, i guess i have to admit that these two terms are functionally equivalent in the context that i use them. i'll put the syntax corrections on my to-do list for updating the guide. thanks for pointing that out.

Gentree wrote:
The other thing that would be most helpful is some help on network setup.

Assuming everyone has a nice little DCHP network with internet access already running is a bit light and pretty unrealistic.

yes, i understand what you mean. i've had lots of requests to add things like how to configure different types of connections, how to specify locale-specific keyboards, etc. in response, i guess i have to say that when i wrote the Guide, it was actually intended as a tutorial for advanced Gentoo users about how to rebuild a toolkit (ok, toolchain) while building an optimized x86-based Gentoo system, with a little bit of installation instructions padded at the front and back ends. insofar as the focus of the Guide has always been intended to be an advanced user's method of rebuilding the toolkit to provide NPTL support and GCC 3.4.3, i have to admit that i did not consider padding enough information into the Guide to turn the project into the authorship of a Gentoo Universal Installation Handbook for less experienced users.

From my perspective, the Guide has served its purpose well in teaching people how to rebuild an Gentoo system that is optimized to the maximal extent that reliability will allow. Supporting this Guide through the 2004.3 and 2005.0 versions has taken far more time than I had ever anticipated -- so much time that I simply cannot imagine taking more time to extensively revise the Guide with the objective of turning it into a Universal Installation Handbook. i guess i'm going to cop-out and say that if the user truly needs a comprehensive installation manual, this Guide is not what they're looking for.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , I take your point. I did not realise I was asking a universal guide tho'.

I use rp-ppoe for an easy setup but it's not in the stage* tarballs.

I tend to cheat by networking to an existing Gentoo , or as I am doing now installing in chroot shell using the connection from the main shell.

Do you know if there is something like a liveCD taht has easy network setup that could be used to chroot to install gentoo?

8)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Subject of Copyrights.

I have received Personal Messages from third parties who have created unauthorized, third-party, word-for-word transcription of this Installation Guide in PDF format, and posted it for distribution on their web site prior to asking me for permission. I have also received requests from the same people to "blog" a copy of the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide on their thrid party websites.

I don't think that this is a good idea, and my response is to deny all third parties the permission to post the contents of the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide on any web site other than my own webserver or the Gentoo Discussion Forums.

The Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0 is still in a state of transition. There are several updates that need to be made before I can consider the Guide to be complete and accurate. Because the Guide is a work in progress, I feel that it is important from a quality-assurance perspective to assure that all versions of this Guide that are available are both up to date and accurate. I will not permit the contents of this Guide to be packaged for distribution by third parties, or to be posted on third party web sites where I do not have the ability to maintain the text of the document to assure that is both up to date and free of errors. This policy is designed to prevent the problem where a third party might circulate an outdated version of the Guide that may be incomplete or contain errors. This would amount to doing users nothing more than a disservice.

For this reason, I think it is essential that I retain all of the rights and responsibility for publishing this Installation Guide.

In order to prevent confusion about the origin of "Offical" vs. "third party" versions of this Guide, I am choosing to retain all Copyright rights for the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide. This means that NOBODY is allowed to copy the Guide and post the contents of the Guide on any other website. You can't create a PDF of the Guide. You can't blog it. You can't post the Guide in any form on a third party web site. The ONLY internet site that is approved for publication of this Guide is the Gentoo Discussion Forums.

In order to assure that Gentoo users have free access to a continually updated and accurate version of this Guide, the Gentoo Discussion Forums is the ONLY website that has permission to post this Installation Guide. Permission to electronically tranmit the content of this Installation Guide is expressly denied to all other parties. The Gentoo Discussion Forums and no other website shall remain the central repository for the information contained in this Guide. Everyone that is interested in this Guide shall come to the source, and not to a third party for updates.

And now for the legal mumbo-jumbo:

The Stage 1/3 Installation Guide is a Copyrighted document. All Rights are reserved by the author. Rights for reproduction and distribution of said document are granted to the Gentoo Discussion Forums and the Gentoo Foundation. Rights for reproduction and distribution of the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide in any format are expressly denied to all other parties.

Last edited by Bob P on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Distribution of PDF documents created by third parties would be a violation of Copyright law.
I saw hang 'em , the bastards.

PDF is a crock of shit anyway , scalable illegability for ppl who cant create a page of html an make it look right. (ie without using FuntPage)

Bandwidth blow-off.

Barf. :x
Dhaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, nice guide, thanks!

I've a question. I think that recompile gcc 3.4.3 two time isn't a good idea. It take a lot of time. So why don't do
Code:
emerge glibc binutils gcc portage -b

and later
Code:
 emerge -ek system

It's a good idea?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to have a stable toolchain you should compile gcc-3.4.3 with gcc-3.4.3.

That's what all the rebuilding is about. This is from the top devs, it's not just Bob making it up.

HTH 8)
Dhaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
to have a stable toolchain you should compile gcc-3.4.3 with gcc-3.4.3.

That's what all the rebuilding is about. This is from the top devs, it's not just Bob making it up.

HTH 8)

Yes, but:
[quote]7.2.5 Summary

Although these command have been broken down into separate steps for the purpose of clarity, they can be concatenated into three steps. The one-liners in Steps 1 and 3 will take quite some time to complete, and represent good opportunities for you to take an extended break while Gentoo does its thing.

Step 1:
Codice:
# env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc

Step 2: update your USE flags and CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf

Step 3:
Codice:
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils gcc portage && emerge -e system[quote]

You see that in the first step you compile gcc 3.4.3 with gcc 3.3.5. In the third step you recompile gcc 3.4.3 whit gcc 3.4.3, and later you do "emerge -e system", that recompile gcc 3.4.3! So if we do at the third step:
Code:
# gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils gcc portage -b && emerge -ek system

isn't it better or not?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

in step 2 you redifine USE and CFLAGS. You need to rebuild to toolchain twice after that.
keltor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI about timezones ... /usr/share/zoneinfo/US has all of the timezones listed since many people complain about not finding "their" city. These timezones obey the rules for their timezone. Also, you may want to remind people that some people may have problems with mounting their disks with 2005.0. The fix is to add nolvm2 to their kernel command line.

Cheers
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to my decision not to allow PDF transcripts of the Stage 1/3 Guide on other websites, people are now interested in creating "blog" versions of the Guide on third party sites. i guess this is one case where if people think they have a loophole, they will try to drive a truck through it. just to be clear:

The Stage 1/3 Installation Guide is a Copyrighted document. All Rights are reserved by the author. Rights for reproduction and distribution of said document are granted to the Gentoo Discussion Forums and the Gentoo Foundation. Rights for reproduction and distribution of the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide in any format are expressly denied to all other parties.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread rocks. Someone should surely request this to be put in the Gentoo Docs pages ?!
ag_x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo 2005.0: Stage 1 NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarb Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
The Text of This Tutorial is Copyright 2005 by Bob Predaina. All Rights Reserved.

This is outrageous.
Please update your license to a sane one or stay away from gentoo community.
I will edit my post and delete my words after your fix.
Marx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very nice guide! (in the process of reinstalling through this guide after totally b0rking my system) :D

and ag_x it'll be GPL when it's more finished? or have I missed something?

EDIT: Finished!! And it works perfectly! Thanks for the Great Guide!
kill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ag_x wrote:
This is outrageous.
Please update your license to a sane one or stay away from gentoo community.

And here I thought Gentoo was about choice. Isn't it Bob P's choice to hold the copyright for his works. Why the hell should he release it under a license you deem worthy. It's his guide and he can do with it what he pleases. It's his choice not yours. You are the one who should stay away from the Gentoo community.

Also if you had even taken the time to read why this was done it was because of "third parties who have created unauthorized, third-party, word-for-word transcription of this Installation Guide." Yes one person can ruin it for the rest of us.

I sincerely hope that the actions and comments of some people don't stop you (Bob P) from continuing to make amazing documents that are intended to help others.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: