Which Broadband service
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kartoffel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Which Broadband service Reply with quote

Hi I've been using gentoo for a while now. I did all the installs over a modem because that's what I had at the time. But now it's time to upgrade. And this is the only linux community that I know and trust.

My question is which service should I get? I want it to work easily with linux. I've got a nic built into my motherboard that should work with linux. I don't know much about networking or high speed internet. I just want to be able to download faster and be able to leave my computer on the internet so I can access it from work. Decent upload speeds would be nice as well.

Att Broadband is the only service I know of. Will that work? I'm sure they won't support linux. Cost is an issue so I'd like to keep it <= $50 a month.

What do you guys recommend? I'm in Denver (Golden) if that helps.

Thanks
Jeff
rtn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what services are available to you. ATT cable should
work just fine, and should be a breeze to set up. If I were you, I'd avoid
USB cable/dsl devices if possible, and go with something on 10/100Base-T.
I know several people who'd have tremendous success with Linksys DSL/Cable routers, which I think are priced at or around $100 US.

I have DSL, using a linux box as a router for my lan. It was easy to set up
and doesn't really require any maintenace...

YMMV.

--rtn
NerfYoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a speakeasy.net customer, and a happy one at that. They have one of the free'est (as in speech) end user policies I've ever seen in an ISP. They don't do PPPoE or any of that renewing IP nonesense on ya to boot. If you're in their service area I say give em a go. They're not the cheapest out there, but IMO you definately get what you pay for.

Last edited by NerfYoda on Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtn wrote:
If I were you, I'd avoid USB cable/dsl devices if possible, and go with something on 10/100Base-T.

I agree 100%, definetly avoid USB, Ethernet won't give you any trouble.
rtn wrote:
I have DSL

DSL installation is not as strait forward as Cable, you have to setup a ppp connection. I don't use DSL, so I really can't say how complex the procedure is, but certainly it's not a nightmare.

Good luck,
Ricardo Cordeiro :)
rtn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT_LAmb wrote:

DSL installation is not as strait forward as Cable, you have to setup a ppp connection. I don't use DSL, so I really can't say how complex the procedure is, but certainly it's not a nightmare.

Probably 9 out of 10 times, setting up dsl is as simple as installing rp-pppoe
and running adsl-setup. It asks pretty straight-forward questions which will
configure your dsl with ease.

However, there are some cases when this won't work. The documentation
tries to help with these setups, and there's some information out there concerning
getting pppoe working with certain providers...

--rtn

I
AkiAki007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable is working for me, then again I'm in NYC, so there are nodes everywhere. My speed has been great, and I set up a nice Linksys router to get my room-mates on as well. Works great.

Cable of course is best if you already have cable, you might be able to get a discount. We have Time Warner Cable, thus I have Road Runner Cable. Though I'm not a terribly big fan of large companies nor do I trust the politics of companies such as Time Warner (regarding user priviledges and privacy), but RR has been great. All my ports are open, well, what I've tried thus far. I've had no problems going and playing whatever games I want (though I still can't get file xfer to work in AIM in windows, but that's a seperate problem with AIM sucking and router port forwarding).

Anyway, my recommendation would lie with a cable modem. Don't worry about OS, most of them allow you do to Self-Installation if you don't have Windows lying around somewhere. If you have Windows, you can let them "install" the modem. Either way, I don't think you'll be able to avoid the initial cost, because if they install, they charge you 100$ for installation, if you install it yourself, they make you buy their modem, which also costs 100$. You might have better luck and be able to buy your own cable modem (Linksys has some nice cheap ones) and avoid that initial cost all together.

Best of luck.
NerfYoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT_LAmb wrote:

Whether or not they use PPP depends on your providor. I've only used ISP's that give you a straight Internet connection. A little research will weed out the craptastic PPPoE providors. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security.
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it was possible to avoid the ppp connection. That makes DSL installation identical to Cable.

Anyway, if you know a highly considered broadband ISP that can offer you a good service with the possibility to install a modem with an Ethernet interface, then it wouldn't matter if it was DSL or Cable. Obviously considering that the prices weren't too different.

Ricardo Cordeiro :)
xkalibur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Earthlink cable. i am quite happy with them. switched from Earthlink DSL last september. waayyyy better performance for a better price. Earthlink does not block port 80 like roadrunner (saving me a little trouble).
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Charter cable. From what I can tell, they block both 80 and 8080. *sigh* i guess 88 works well enough
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using AT&T broadband, and it has been great. I get around 300K, all the time, and there were no problems setting it up. Just DHCP and that's it.
I have heard many horror stories about DSL, especially in regards to Qwest (actually lying to customers, and horrible support)
I have had cable for seven months now, and only once has it gone out (and that's because of a bad snow storm)
I say cable, unless you want 7Mb! 8O
PT_LAmb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:
I've got Charter cable. From what I can tell, they block both 80 and 8080. *sigh* i guess 88 works well enough

Well this one is new for me! :?

I have a Internet service that has bandwidth quotas. 1Gb for Internacional traffic, and 20Gb for nacional (portuguese). And I thought that was the only way to restrict a service. I should of have thought better.
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had ATT broadband for the past year and a half or so and its been great so far. At first, when they were still using the @home network it was absolutely awesome, getting 400k+/sec downloads, but once they moved onto their own network they capped us all at 1.5mbit or around 180k/sec download which still isn't worth complaining over. I'm curious to see how things go now that Comcast has taken over the ATT broadband division.
li1_getoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.dslreports.com

i am using roadrunner , never had a problem :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: