USB controller for UltraSPARC1?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: USB controller for UltraSPARC1? Reply with quote

Hi,

has anyone ever seen an USB (2.0) controller card for the SMBus of the UltraSPARC 1?
Where can I get it?

Thorsten
Gecklord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think such a card exists!
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any USB (version 1.x or 2) controllers for SBUS. Assuming there was working driver for the SBUS PCMCIA controller (which there isn't at the moment), you could get a USB 1.x PCMCIA controller that might work. However since PCMCIA is only 16 bit, I think your chances of finding a USB 2 PCMCIA controller that is 16 bit would be pretty non-existant.
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this up a few months ago and after some searching discovered
that it may not be difficult, but it would not be affordable to create an SBUS USB2.0
card. If anyone has funds and would like to do that I would be glad to help, but
for the moment I've solved my problems in other ways.

There were 2 reasons I wanted USB on my Ultra2, the first, I wanted to be able to
use my many large USB2 external harddrives with it. The second, I have a USB
trackball that I love and I wanted to be able to use it on my Ultra2 as that has become
my main desktop.

The first problem I solved with ACARD IDE to SCSI converters and an Antares SBUS UW/SE SCSI card.
I converted a few of my USB drives (which are just IDE drives using a USB2 bridge, so using a SCSI bridge isn't
much of a stretch) to SCSI drives and now I have 500GB of external storage on my Ultra2. The performance
of the IDE to SCSI bridge is also much higher than the IDE to USB2 bridges out there. From harddrives
I would usually get an average transfer rate of about 12-14MBps via USB, I now get 25-30MBps via SCSI.
The IDE to SCSI bridges retail for about $80USD but I got mine for $40USD each by buying refurbs from newegg.com.

As a side note, the IDE to SCSI bridge requires no drivers and supports all SCSI standards up to U160 LVD.
BUT!!!! DO NOT USE SBUS CONTROLLERS LABELED DIFFERENTIAL!!! They are HVD, not LVD and they will destroy your
bridges, if not the harddrives.

As for the trackball, I have given up on it for the moment. Although maybe one of these days I'll try this:
I have USB to PS/2 adapters, and I have PS/2 to serial (DB-9) adapters, and I have DB-9 to DB-25 adapters, and
I have DB-25 gender changers. So maybe (in theory it works of course, but I doubt it will), I can get that to work
through an adapter to an adapter to and adapter to an adapter to the machine.

A third reason I now want USB is my printer. My printer supports USB parallel and serial.
I thought parallel would work fine so USB was unnecessary, but I was wrong. I have never
tried setting up a serial printer in linux before so I don't know if that may be a way to go.

Anyways, that's all I know about this at the moment.
ThorstenHirsch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your postings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: