View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bensberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: rapidly blinking harddisk light; kded responsible [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When logged in to KDE 3.4_rc1, the HD-light is blinking twice per second the whole time. But when logged in to KDE 3.3.2 this light is absolutely quiet (as long as I'm doing nothing).

I've done a 'strace -ft kded' and it appears a kded process is looking at the status of the CDRW again and again, twice per second:
Code:
[pid  4352] open("/dev/hdb", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE) = 14
[pid  4352] ioctl(14, CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS, 0x7fffffff) = 1
[pid  4352] close(14)          = 0

It appears to get the idea for looking at the CDRW from reading /etc/fstab. When in that file I comment out the /dev/hdb entry and restart kded, the blinking is over. But this fstab entry has the noauto option set, so why does it even start watching the CDRW?

Under KDE 3.3.2 only a single kded process is running, but under KDE 3.4_rc1 there are three of them. Is this normal?

I've tried diffing $HOME/.kde3.3 and $HOME/.kde3.4, and also /usr/kde/3.3 and /usr/kde/3.4, but can't find any setting related to kded that is different.

Last edited by bensberg on Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
gentsquash
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an automounter running?
bensberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentsquash wrote:
Do you have an automounter running?

No, nothing like that.
bensberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: blinking harddisk light; kded responsible [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Pfff, finally found it. In the Control Center, under KDE Components -> Service Manager, untick the KDED Media Manager, Stop it, and Apply. That stops the blinking.

Then under Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons, untick the Show device icons, as otherwise upon the next login the Media Manager will be running again, even though it's unticked.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: blinking harddisk light; kded responsible [SOLVED] Reply with quote

bensberg wrote:
Pfff, finally found it. In the Control Center, under KDE Components -> Service Manager, untick the KDED Media Manager, Stop it, and Apply. That stops the blinking.
Then under Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons, untick the Show device icons, as otherwise upon the next login the Media Manager will be running again, even though it's unticked.

I had something similar ref post on another KDE 3.4 thread
KDE Control Center >service manager > media control service 'running', was preventing the NEC packet writer's door from opening! Another trouble was noticed when checking 'messages' before mounting dvdrwi, the NEC..
Code:
Mar 19 07:17:19 p4pe pktcdvd: Unknown ioctl for pktcdvd0 (5326)

the last line was repeated at about 2 per second... stopping the media manager fixed both of these problems.
I haven't noticed the Desktop icon problem yet.
mvh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: