Some thoughts on KDE vs Gnome...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Some thoughts on KDE vs Gnome... Reply with quote

I've recently turned 99% to linux.. Windows still on old 10 GB /dev/hdb ... But I haven't entered Windows in 1 week.. And I'm very glad!

Now during this time I've been using KDE and I like it alot. It is very customizable which is to my liking. And I've installed allot of extra eye candy for example mosfet's great liquid www.mosfet.org
superb everaldo Icons www.everaldo.com
Currently my desktop looks great but i have an obsession of trying everything :) So lately I've been reading some info on Gnome. I didn't find a Gnome site where user's can add extra eye-candy... something like [url]kde-look.org[/url] If you know of one please let me know.

I would like to outlist some of the pros and cons on Gnome and KDE that I've found researching the web. Please note that I'm a linux newbie and some of this stuff might be wrong or just the way that I understand the things I read. But please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these things.... - Edit : forgot about art.gnome.org :) sorry.. But I was kinda thinking of something as active as kde-look.org :)

KDE:

Pros:

Great API. easy to program for it. Attract's more programmers, more program's etc. etc.

Very configurable. Easy to make a great looking desktop with extra eye candy..

Cons:

API not 100% free. In a sense where If 1 software maker would like to create closed software under the QT libraries that 1 software make would have to pay lots of $ to Trolltech..

Gnome:

Pros:
Api Totally free

Cons:
Api very messy...
Perhaps not as configurable... ( pro or con? - Depend's on the user..... )

Now let's imagine in 5 years time. Linux will have grown with the same pace it has in the last 5 years...I believe Gnome would win as the destop of choice because of it's free licence.. It would attract more programs.. Am I wrong ?

Please post your comment's...

Regards, Berkz

Last edited by Berkz on Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on KDE vs Gnome... Reply with quote

Berkz wrote:
I didn't find a Gnome site where user's can add extra eye-candy... something like [url]kde-look.org[/url] If you know of one please let me know.

http://art.gnome.org/

Not quite as large/mature as kde-look, but the same idea.
DarrenM
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impression I have (which may be outdated) is that Gnome was always focused on developing technology while KDE was focused on creating a complete, polished desktop environment. I think this is part of the reason KDE has overtaken Gnome. Another being the higher popularity of c++ which KDE uses over c which Gnome uses.

The problem now is that while I am still a fan and user of KDE I feel it has outgrown it's distribution method leading to justified statements about bloat. It needs some kind of 'make menuconfig' so that people can trim out all the programs they will never use.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments.
mangaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: QT api Reply with quote

QT api is 100% GPL

If tomorrow Microsoft buy TrollTech the last version (now 3.1) will be free
http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/qt.html
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Cons:

API not 100% free. In a sense where If 1 software maker would like to create closed software under the QT libraries that 1 software make would have to pay lots of $ to Trolltech.

Hmmm... I've noticed a lot of people, especially open-source purists have written this down as a con against the KDE/QT desktop enviroment.

Personally, this is exactly HOW I see the free software movement surviving. Having one license for those who want to write free software, and then selling to those who want to make a profit on top of your work.

I can't remember how much a license for QT is, something around $2000 if I remember correctly. This is a very competitive price for such a mature product, and in the realms of commercial programming when you consider that a programmer is $30k+ its small change for most companies.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenM wrote:
The problem now is that while I am still a fan and user of KDE I feel it has outgrown it's distribution method leading to justified statements about bloat. It needs some kind of 'make menuconfig' so that people can trim out all the programs they will never use.
You can sort of get this in gentoo by just emerging kdebase and whatever else. I do agree that this would be incredibly helpful. I could finally just get kmix out of kmultimedia.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qt for X11 is completely free (in both beer and speech)... it's licensed under the GPL, so if you want to develop commercial software with it, you can. You just have to give out the source at the same price of distribution.

What you can't do is develop propreitary software with it unless you pay Trolltech for a commercial license.
Berkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: ok.. Reply with quote

don't you think that Gnome Api being free (in the sense that companies can develop propriatary software withouth paying license fee) will draw more developer's?
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always surprised by the Qt-license whinging. I mean, it goes something like this:

Qt was under QPL: "Qt and Trolltech sucks! Qt is not free!"

Qt is under GPL: "Qt and Trolltech sucks! They force me to write free and open software! If I want to write proprietary and closed software I have to *gasp* pay Trolltech!"

So let me get this straigh: Qt used to suck because it was not free. GPL-purists whined because it was not Kosher. Now that it's GPL (and it actually urges people to write GPL-software, since commercial license costs money!), the same people whine because they can't use Qt for free to write proprietary software?!

In short: The whiners insist that Trolltech must offer their product for free. But the whiners also insist that they (whiners) must have the right to keep their Qt-software closed.

"Do as I say, not as I do!", eh?
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ok.. Reply with quote

Berkz wrote:
don't you think that Gnome Api being free (in the sense that companies can develop propriatary software withouth paying license fee) will draw more developer's?

in a sense this has already happened. Gnome is being accepted more in the commercial area where the lisence really matters. For example
one reason Red Hat uses gnome over kde (not the only) is because they are trying to cut into the server/commercial workstation market so if company A hires company B to write software for their commercial workstation setup company B might not want to GPL its software. So if RH chose KDE company B would either reject the offer refusing to GPL their code, buy a lisence for trolltech maybe increasing the contract cost, use a toolkit that doesn't integrate with the desktop, or if company A is lucky GPL their software.

Sun also recently choose gnome not just for that reason but also because Sun will probably want to build apps into its workstation and wont GPL them. that would be impossible with QT unless they bought a lisence. It also helps sun because its easier to promote companies to produce commercial software that integrates when the api is free for proprietary software.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thingy about Gnome i see as a Pro is that I can run a complete desktop with any app i'd ever need without having to install any Qt based apps, Gnome as a huge amount of apps on its side, and if I where to use KDE there would be a mash of Qt and GTK apps everywhere and wouldnt look too good.
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Gnome has a huge amount of apps on its side, and if I where to use KDE there would be a mash of Qt and GTK apps everywhere and wouldnt look too good.

I agree, when switching from RedHat to Gentoo I decided to give KDE a go. After several hours of compiling I did user it and KDE indeed does seem to provide a better suite of "built-in" apps and gives the user more control over how it looks.

But after trying various Qt apps here and there, I kept coming back to my favourite GTK apps (Galeon, Sylpheed, Pan, grip...) and there were more alternatives apps for GTK over Qt.

Plus, getting Qt and GTK to look identical is far from easy. But it is fair to say that at the moment even dedicated Gnome/GTK users may have issues with GTK1 and GTK2 apps looking different.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But it is fair to say that at the moment even dedicated Gnome/GTK users may have issues with GTK1 and GTK2 apps looking different.

True, but its only a matter of time before all gnome apps get ported over to gtk2 - I personaly only run two gtk1 apps, xmms and dc-gui.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: