Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouverite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can your abilities peak when you haven't clearly defined what you are doing? The simple answer is that they can't.

I don't completely understand what you mean. I meant "the peak of his abilities" (or: "in his prime") pertaining to phreaking/cracking. How does someones ability to do something relate to what they're doing being clearly definable?
Quote:
he would never say now that he was at a peak moment when he was doing what he did.

This is probably true. A peak moment or a low point in Kevin's life is for him to decide. In any event he was skilled at breaking into computers and telephone systems when he was doing what he did.
Quote:
Kevin would have a hard time selling computer security to me.

Yeah. Me too.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouverite wrote:
Quote:
How can your abilities peak when you haven't clearly defined what you are doing? The simple answer is that they can't.

I don't completely understand what you mean. I meant "the peak of his abilities" (or: "in his prime") pertaining to phreaking/cracking. How does someones ability to do something relate to what they're doing being clearly definable?

I'm saying that in order for anyone to be considered really good at something you have to know what that something is before you can judge the person's ability at it. For example, if I were to say that I was really good at a sport, you wouldn't be able to definitively say how talented I was at basketball. If it was outstandingly clear that Kevin did this, this, and that computer crime then you could say that he was a horrible depraved person to some degree. However, it's not abundantly clear what he did. He's yet to publish an account of all the things that he's done in that realm. Thus, it's hard to tell how 'good' he was at them. For me, it doesn't matter how much skill he has/had because of the moral principle involved. I find it frightening how America glorifies it's criminals.
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he was in prison for so long time becouse he fucked with some big companyes that has the power to do so, for example the dude in england that "cracked" some of the usas military mopjuters got 10 years, while a child molester usualy gets less than 5 years. (atleast here in sweden the phedofilist gets like 3 - 4 years)

kevins crime was not that huge as for criminals actualy hurting other people.
he just send some tones over a line for christ sake.

Get lost before you get shot.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonik wrote:
i think he was in prison for so long time becouse he fucked with some big companyes that has the power to do so, for example the dude in england that "cracked" some of the usas military mopjuters got 10 years, while a child molester usualy gets less than 5 years. (atleast here in sweden the phedofilist gets like 3 - 4 years)

kevins crime was not that huge as for criminals actualy hurting other people.
he just send some tones over a line for christ sake.

You need to see Hackers 2 (although it's not acurate), it wasn't just a few tones over the line...

Or even better: http://takedown.com/

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.prognosisx.com/cgi-bin/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=JanX%2edb&command=viewone&id=29&op=t

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: