What's with vmware?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grapes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: What's with vmware? Reply with quote

I was just wondering people's thoughts on vmware. I personally don't like it, but that's just me. I feel one of the greatest thing about linix is its stabilily. Why put a great operating system on top of windows? The restarting has to be horrible. And the reverse is also true. Why put windows on top of linux? Isn't it easier to install wine or something like that?
Let me know why you use vmware or why you don't use vmware.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used vmwware on linux to run win so i can run graphics apps like bryce and 3DSMax that can't be run under wine and don't have an equivilant linux port.

I don't use it anymore though since i don't use modeling much these days.

And if someone's going to switch to linux they may want to run it in vmware to get used to it.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Windows 2000 in vmware on my linux box, for kazaa mainly, but Delphi also. I know there is Kylix, but I want to develop for Windows machines as well.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to hijack this thread but i'm interested in running VMware....is it quite easy to set-up and get running :?:
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use it to run Dreamweaver, wine wouldn't work, but now I use Zend Development Environment, I just use it once in a while to check how a site looks in IE...
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats VMWare like when running apps? Is it fast? This could be a way for me to actualy get rid of my win2k partition and just use VMWare... but does it play games? I still use win2k for games :(
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, come on vmware users.....we need to know. Photoshop 7 in linux would go a long way to convincing my missus that we can get rid of Win2K :wink:
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Whats VMWare like when running apps? Is it fast? This could be a way for me to actualy get rid of my win2k partition and just use VMWare... but does it play games? I still use win2k for games :(

It's about as fast as native windows. It's even faster sometimes since the linux filesystem is faster. However it ues hardware astraction so you can't use accelerated graphics. So no games yet. We'll have to wait on wine for that
mindows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think vmware is fine. i have a geforce2 card on a athlon 1.4 linux box running vmware with w2k. yes, it does run a little bit slow under vmware, but it still runs pretty much everything i need to run under windows, except for directx games.
it may run a little slow under vmware, but what do you expect from windows? after installing a few ciritcal hotfixes and services packs, etc. every slows down. when i run vmware with w2k at full screen mode, my girlfriend thinks it's just a typical windows machine :)
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news :D

Still, is it much hassle to set-up (apart from the Windows install that is!) ?
BigRedDot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmware is easy to set up, and XP on it seems as responsive as any actual windows box I have used recently (which is not many).
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have enough memory available.

And you can run photoshop in it just fine I think. I can run Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX in it without any problems, so Photoshop won't be any problem either. By the way, did you try The Gimp yet???
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, Ive always liked VMWare, tho I have found little use for it professionally. I learned Linux by running RH (way back in the day) in VMWare on a Win box while at work.. I could just minimize VMWare when I needed to do Win work.

You will need some disk space as well as memory, because it writes out "virtual disks" at 2Gig a pop (tho this may be configurable in new versions).

I've always had problems setting up networking in VMWare, but reading through the docs closely usually solved the problems...
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use vmware for testing purpose mainly. I have windows 2000, but if I want to test our softwares on other plateform, we made a virtual machine for each of them (95/98/me/xp). We also, for the fun of it, tried a Winfwg3.1. Finally, our router is a little P1 running Freesco which is based on Slackware 3.9. So we also have a vmwared full Slackware 3.9 for compiling packages for Freesco.

vmware is not like wine. wine will translate win32 api call into unix calls, back and forth. vmware will, instead, emulate a physical machine, that is, the hard drive, the floppy, nic cards, ... When you start a vmware machine, you even have a BIOS that is emulated. So it's much better to build a test environment.

vmware is also used by helpdesk support centers to grab any supported enviroment for the purpose of having an exact same environment than what each specific clients have. So it does have it's main advantages that wine is simply not meant to do and cen never emulate.

What I wish to know is how bosch compares to vmware?
punx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Under WXP Pro Vmware is running good and mad easy to set up, but I think you'll need at least 512 MB RAM to have fun.
One think i like most is that you can easy trash a mashine, when it's starting getting a bit confused about all that testing and hacking around. In Case of Gentoo i tried out several different setups and that one wich performs best, is now a "real" box.
Under Unix it's a little more difficult to get vm to work, but it runs well after tuning it a bit.
So it's very good for Development, Testing, Crashing build again etc...
To play win Games i would prefer a physical box.
sergi34
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VMWare for running Emuleplus (http://www.emuleplus.tk) and Kazaa which write files to a ext3 partition under the simulated network.
Also to test network configurations for Samba and Netbios.
And also to play a great total strategy PBE game only written on windows: stars! (http://www.crisium.com/stars/).

And also to not going through the nightmare of configuring wine and make things run. VMWare is extremely easy.

nothing else for VMWare, the rest my Gentoo box handles it perfectly.
Bluesman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kinda machines you have, but on my Duron 700 with 320M SDRAM is nothing but slow as hell (Win98 guest). It idles at about 30% CPU usage and kazaa pretty much uses all it can get.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wierd Ive been using it to play with Archicad and stuff like that that wont run under linux/wine/winex ....I actually found that rendering under archicad was faster under vmware than it was when I was running it native under windows ......

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: