Zope wont compile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaboZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Zope wont compile Reply with quote

Hello world,

just had a bummer trying to emerge zope :-(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Building extension modules
    /usr/bin/python2.1 setup.py build_ext -i
    running build_ext

building 'BTrees._IIBTree' extension
    gcc -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -fPIC -DEXCLUDE_INTSET_SUPPORT -I/var/tmp/portage/zope-2.6.0-r1/work/Zope-2.6.0-src/lib/Components/ExtensionClass/src -IZODB -I/usr/include/python2.1 -c BTrees/_IIBTree.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.1/_IIBTree.o -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
    {standard input}: Assembler messages:
    {standard input}:13471: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `movd'
    error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "wo_pcgi.py", line 45, in ?
    if __name__=='__main__': main(sys.argv[0])
    File "wo_pcgi.py", line 33, in main
    import build_extensions
    File "/var/tmp/portage/zope-2.6.0-r1/work/Zope-2.6.0-src/inst/build_extensions.py", line 24, in ?
    do('%s setup.py build_ext -i' % sys.executable)
    File "/var/tmp/portage/zope-2.6.0-r1/work/Zope-2.6.0-src/inst/do.py", line 32, in do
    if i and picky: raise SystemError, i
    SystemError: 256

!!! ERROR: net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1 failed.

any suggestions?

Regards
TaboZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: fixed Reply with quote

by commenting out my CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Zope wont compile Reply with quote

TaboZ wrote:

gcc -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -fPIC -DEXCLUDE_INTSET_SUPPORT -I/var/tmp/portage/zope-2.6.0-r1/work/Zope-2.6.0-src/lib/Components/ExtensionClass/src -IZODB -I/usr/include/python2.1 -c BTrees/_IIBTree.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.1/_IIBTree.o -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:13471: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `movd'
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1.

Hi,

Here is an example when compiling on my box:

Code:

gcc -march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe -fPIC -DEXCLUDE_INTSET_SUPPORT -I/var/tmp/portage/zope-2.6.0-r3/work/Zope-2.6.0-src/lib/Components/ExtensionClass/src -IZODB -I/usr/include/python2.1 -c BTrees/_IIBTree.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.1/_IIBTree.o -march=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe
zgcc -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.1/_IIBTree.o -o BTrees/_IIBTree.so

What are your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS set to? I wonder if the -mcpu=i686 and -march=pentium4 being used together is causing some trouble.
TaboZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: my CFLAGS Reply with quote

-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

they worked after a emerge -e zope

zope has probs though:

Quote:

giant 2.6.0 $ sudo ./start
/usr/share/zope/2.6.0/z2.py:385: UserWarning: You are running Python version 2.2.2. This Python version has not yet been tested with Zope and you may experience operational problems as a result. Consider using Python 2.1.3 instead.
warnings.warn(err)

i have to control-C the prog a few times to end with:

Quote:

/usr/share/zope/2.6.0/lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/Catalog.py:20: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module Missing: This Python has API version 1011, module Missing has version 1010.
from Missing import MV
------
2003-02-06T11:53:14 PANIC(300) z2 Startup exception
Traceback (innermost last):
Module __main__, line 580, in ?
Module <string>, line 1, in ?
Module Zope, line 22, in ?
Module OFS.Application, line 22, in ?
Module App.ApplicationManager, line 199, in ?
Module App.ApplicationManager, line 248, in ApplicationManager
OverflowError: float too large to convert

and thats it :-(

regards
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU need Python 2.1X to use ZOPE. Save yourself some headaches and just emere it. It will keep your 2.2 as well. I also relinked /usr/bin/python to point to 2.1 before I emerged it, I dont think you need to but better safe .... If you do .... put it back as portage will bark at you! You will need to do this if you need the PIL stuff for 2.1

Zope will build on Python 2.2 but strange stuff happens with some products. Also cflags have no effect on ZOPE as it is 100% Python.

Good Luck
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: my CFLAGS Reply with quote

TaboZ wrote:
-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

In you your /etc/make.conf, you might try something like:
Code:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

If still having a problem emerging zope, please send the results of 'emerge info'.

TaboZ wrote:

giant 2.6.0 $ sudo ./start
/usr/share/zope/2.6.0/z2.py:385: UserWarning: You are running Python version 2.2.2. This Python version has not yet been tested with Zope and you may experience operational problems as a result. Consider using Python 2.1.3 instead.
warnings.warn(err)

That's very strange. The zope-2.6.0-r1 ebuild depends on python-2.1.3*. Also the zope ebuild removes the start script, because it is replaced with an rc script. (i.e. /etc/init.d/zope start)

I can't figure out why the start script would still be there. Which zope ebuild are you trying to emerge? Probably need to look at your 'emerge info'.
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: zope and ptyhon Reply with quote

ozric100 wrote:
YOU need Python 2.1X to use ZOPE. Save yourself some headaches and just emere it.

The zope-2.6.0-r1 ebuild has python-2.1.3* as a dependency, so it should emerge it on its own if needed. The reason TaboZ's zope is crying about python is because of using the 'start' script. That should have been removed by the ebuild.

ozric100 wrote:

It will keep your 2.2 as well. I also relinked /usr/bin/python to point to 2.1 before I emerged it, I dont think you need to but better safe .... If you do .... put it back as portage will bark at you! You will need to do this if you need the PIL stuff for 2.1

Shouldn't have to do that. Makes me nervous because portage depends on the python-2.2 branch I believe.

Currently working on a way to add extensions to python-2.1.3*, so that it doesn't interfere with other python slots.

ozric100 wrote:

Zope will build on Python 2.2 but strange stuff happens with some products. Also cflags have no effect on ZOPE as it is 100% Python.

Hmm, what about the c source files in Zope-2.6.0-src/lib/Components/*?
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Currently working on a way to add extensions to python-2.1.3*, so that it doesn't interfere with other python slots.

I made it work some how. I forget, I re-did zope when I saw the ebuild unmasked. I was just using the src tarball and building it myself before that.

and HEY ease up killer ... I am try to help the guy. I point people in the right direction. I don't give step by step do lists. Maybe after they see why things are happening they will have a few more things in their tool box.

Peace
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozric100 wrote:
and HEY ease up killer ... I am try to help the guy. I point people in the right direction. I don't give step by step do lists. Maybe after they see why things are happening they will have a few more things in their tool box.
Peace

Sorry, I've had the flu for a week. Not sure where I was acting like killer though. :)

I'm looking at the zope/python problem from a developer viewpoint. I'm concerned that the zope-2.6.0-r1 ebuild may not be functioning correctly. I was trying to look for the cause of the assembler error, which I thought might be caused by the combination of -mcpu and -march, in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

Anyways, getting close to commiting another zope ebuild revision. So I'm interested in feedback about zope. :)

Thanks,
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used zope for years. I am no Python Guru, but I know how to use zope. If you need any help let me know. I hope Zope moves to 2.2 sometime soon. Too bad the zope docs are so bad, I have tried to push zope for a few projects over the years and have always lost out :(

Oh well I am just a dumb sysadmin ... what do I know.
TaboZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

I had not noticed replys because suddenly mails from nitro are spamassassin bate! Empty "To" header. This has not always be the case!

Anyway. It is late here. Will go into the topic tomorrow.

Regards,
TaboZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: zope and ptyhon Reply with quote

Quote:

The zope-2.6.0-r1 ebuild has python-2.1.3* as a dependency, so it should emerge it on its own if needed. The reason TaboZ's zope is crying about python is because of using the 'start' script. That should have been removed by the ebuild.

erm.

giant 2.6.0 $ sudo /etc/init.d/zope start
    * Starting zope...
    * Failed to start zope

the start script is here however:

giant 2.6.0 $ ls
    CMF-1.3 Zope.cgi pcgi stupid_clean wo_pcgi.py zpasswd.pyc
    Extensions import setup.py utilities wo_pcgi.pyc
    LICENSE.txt inituser setup.pyc var z2.py
    README.txt inst start w_pcgi.py z2.pyc
    ZServer lib stop w_pcgi.pyc zpasswd.py

emerge -s zope:
Quote:

* net-www/zope
Latest version available: 2.6.0-r1
Latest version installed: 2.6.0-r1

it does not emerge the right python for me

Regards
pharynx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: successful emerge of zope 2.6.0 Reply with quote

I did it this morning and was successful without bothering the symlink to python (i.e. when I type python on my root terminal, I still get 2.2.2, so portage shouldn't throw a fit :wink: )

The next step is to make ZODB use postgresql as the storage, is there anyone out there with info about which storage gives the most performance / robustness? The choices are: Filesystem, RDBMS (Oracle, Postgres, etc.), or bsddb ?

Pace!
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: zope and ptyhon Reply with quote

TaboZ wrote:

emerge -s zope:
Quote:

* net-www/zope
Latest version available: 2.6.0-r1
Latest version installed: 2.6.0-r1

it does not emerge the right python for me

Regards

How are you emerging zope? There is a newer masked zope-2.6.0-r2 in portage now. It's a major revision, so might check that out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: