Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
OpenLDAP applications
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

For what applications do you use OpenLDAP?
Email addressbook
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Application authentication
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
OS login
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
To store misc configs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
To keep other information
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: OpenLDAP applications Reply with quote

I wonder what applications people use with OpenLDAP primarily?

I've tried it myself to use it as an addressbook holder, but found it's hard to configure for it. The best result I've acieved was importing LDIF files manually and then looking for addresses from mail applications. That's not exactly I want - I need email applications to save addresses in LDAP in order to share them between different applications.

OpenLDAP documentation is too general (no good examples) and doesn't cover many useful cases. Perhaps Gentoo developers of ebuilds, which use OpenLDAP (i.e. courier), should compensate it by some configuration examples. Or perhaps I just don't get OpenLDAP. Although I worked before with Netscape and other commercial LDAP servers without problems. So, what do you use to configure OpenLDAP? File editor, Webmin or what? And what do you use to update LDAP data? Applications, LDIF import or LDAPbrowser?

I wonder if anyone use OpenLDAP to keep authentication info. After having problems with saving email addresses in OpenLDAP I am feeling some discomfort to put any critical data to OpenLDAP.

LDAP is very general technology, it can keep any data in it. It's like a data base. So, it can potentially store configuration information. Has anyone tried it for anything different than email addresses and auth info?

So, I want to understand how OpenLDAP is useful, at least in Gentoo environment.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDAP is more used for user autentication....

btw, are you a poll freak? :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darktux wrote:

Do you talk about OpenLDAP or generally LDAP? I used commercial LDAP servers for auth without big problems. But I am not sure there is no risk to use OpenLDAP for auth.

If you did use OpenLDAP for auth, than what auth? User authentication in OS, Apache, IMAP or other application? Or it is doesn't matter and everything worked fine for you?

darktux wrote:
btw, are you a poll freak?

Good idea. My next poll will be: "Are you a poll freak?" :lol: Or even better: "Do you think I am a poll freak?" :oops:
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
darktux wrote:

Do you talk about OpenLDAP or generally LDAP? I used commercial LDAP servers for auth without big problems. But I am not sure there is no risk to use OpenLDAP for auth.

If you did use OpenLDAP for auth, than what auth? User authentication in OS, Apache, IMAP or other application? Or it is doesn't matter and everything worked fine for you?

I never used LDAP, but I do know that it is used for auth on *nix systems, ftp accounts, radius, e-mail and such.. I've been trying to do so, to have a centralized user database, but I couldn't manage to do it, so I'm using MySQL, and trying to understand better LDAP. :o

btw, I know for a fact, that one of the biggest portuguese isp uses LDAP for user accouting.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: What to use it for. Reply with quote

Well, im hoping to set it up for all of the above.

Working on getting it running now, trying the linuxjouranl tutorial, seems redhat orientated, so do other documents..

Anyone know where to get rfc822-MailMember.schema from ?

This is my stumbling block so far.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: