Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Troubled emerging world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyLeach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Troubled emerging world Reply with quote

I've just got my first mac in my whole life (PowerBook G4). I'm an old hat @ gentoo so I decided to get portage installed as most of what I will be doing on this machine involves java and open source w/ GNU and jboss.

I tried to emerge world but I get the following error when I attempt to emerge cpio:

Code:

gzipping GNU info page: cpio.info
prepallstrip:
strip: strip --strip-unneeded
strip: strip --strip-unneeded
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image// was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///bin was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///bin/cpio was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc/cpio-2.6-r1 was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc/cpio-2.6-r1/ChangeLog.gz was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc/cpio-2.6-r1/INSTALL.gz was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc/cpio-2.6-r1/NEWS.gz was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/doc/cpio-2.6-r1/README.gz was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/info was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/info/cpio.info.gz was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/man was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/man/man1 was installed with group portage!
 * file /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image///usr/share/man/man1/cpio.1 was installed with group portage!
>>> Completed installing cpio-2.6-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/cpio-2.6-r1/image/

* checking 7 files for package collisions
existing file /usr/share/man/man1/cpio.1 is not owned by this package
* spent 0.0534150600433 seconds checking for file collisions
* This package is blocked because it wants to overwrite
* files belonging to other packages (see messages above).
* If you have no clue what this is all about report it
* as a bug for this package on http://bugs.gentoo.org

package app-arch/cpio-2.6-r1 NOT merged

No package files given... Grabbing a set.

Does anyone know what this is?

http://www.skyleach.org
SkyLeach
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: How I fixed this... Reply with quote

Well, it's obvious that a man page shouldn't be a big deal so I moved the man page to a backup file and then tried remerging system again.

Was this a collision, or was this due to something else? I can't understand why the cpio package will not collide with anything but the man page would. Does OSX install man pages for packages which are not installed?

http://www.skyleach.org
stechert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a collision. I ran into the same problem and changed FEATURES="-collision-protect" in /etc/make.conf. That went ahead and overwrote the file.
sapo_selo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i also have used the "-collision-protect" and it emerged just fine...
reddan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some digging because I don't think I should have to fudge around in order for 'emerge system' to complete correctly. It seems the problem is that portage is not gzipping manpages on OSX: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79788 - this affects ALL packages installed on OSX.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon :roll:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: