Showstopper upon first install step with WirelessNIC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Showstopper upon first install step with WirelessNIC Reply with quote

After a lot of researching and a lot of attempts at getting Gentoo on my laptop, I've failed in the first ~3 steps.

I'm running an HPxf328 laptop with an (orinico module) Netgear MA401 Wireless PCI card. I'm booting from the 1.4_rc2 CD, and I cannot get my wireless connection to the lan (which connects to the internet) working. THe third step in getting PCMCIA cards to work in the install guide includes cardmgr -f, which completly crashes my computer with a weird screen (blue, sometimes bar-codish) and it is completely unresponsive.

A similar problem is outlined in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=19622&highlight=wireless

I'm trying to avoid a lot of complicated workarounds, but as of right now I might try anything. I cannot get into my system to emerge anything, and I cannot get online to wget any packages - I cannot ping.

If I just skip the cardmgr -f step, and load the pcmcia-core, i82365 and ds modules, and then proceed to load my cards module manually (orinoco), net-setup and dhcpcd commands do nothing - I have no ip address assigned to me, and I do not have text "UP and RUNNING" in my output.

I've got gentoo running on my main machine, an thlon 1.2 I was fairly excited about installing it on my laptop, I just kind of decided to do it while in lecture today. I knew there would be problems down the road with ACPI and some of th hardware, but little did I know that I wouldn't get past the first 20 lines of text in the install guide =)

Not good! Requesting immediate help! Crashing cardmgr and lack of network config on a release candidate seems a bit strange, and very frusterating and depressing.

PS: I've tried a lot of other PCMCIA modules for the heck of it, nothing is working. I'm also fairly sure Orinoco is the module people have my card working under.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Is this cardmgr crashing bug supposed to be fixed in the final 1.4 release with the inclusion of a newer cardmgr build? I've seen people complain about it, and I don't think it's just with my card.

Doh... wanted to show a few freinds my gentoo laptop this week in class =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: