[Newbie] Installing Multiple Distros
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: [Newbie] Installing Multiple Distros Reply with quote

Currently I have RedHat 8.0 and WinXP installed on my machine. I decided to try Gentoo because it's fast and cutting-edge. However, I need some expert advice first.

I'd like to keep both WinXP and RedHat, just in case installing Gentoo doesn't work out for me. So, how should I install Gentoo alongside RedHat? How can I change the size of RedHat's partitions to make room for Gentoo? How do I change GRUB config to boot all three of the OS's?
ih8tgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a minimal install of mandrake 9.0 (or maybe it was Suse?) which will resize partitions when you install it. Don't install the boot loader and exit. It doesn't matter if it runs or not. The purpose is to resize RH and create a new partition. Then just install Gentoo according to the instructions. Skip the parts about partition creation (skip 6.1 & 6.2) and format the ex-mandrake partition. You can use the same swap partition as RH. Make sure you know what the various partition names are (hda?) before you begin. I installed Gentoo in one "/" partition. i.e. no need to "mount /mnt/gentoo/boot" in step 7.2.

Assuming you use RH's grub to boot, edit the menu.lst file in RH's /boot/grub directory to add Gentoo to the boot menu. I have 5 versions of linux and 3 windows partitions all booting off RH's grub. It will work fine.
alesi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: resize redhat partition Reply with quote

Hi,

I suggest you resize your redhat partition. Use the fs2resize program, try:
Code:
man fs2resize
to resize the filesystem and then use fdisk to resize the partition to the same size (delete partition and create a new one with the new size, just make shure you use the same start cylinder for the new partition as it was before!). You can use the same swap for both RedHat and Gentoo. This worked fine for me.

Alex...
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: OK, I figured it out! Reply with quote

I used parted to resize my RH8's root partition (ext3), then cfdisk to make partitions for gentoo. Right now I'm building xfree and kde!
Thanks so much for your help! The people and the website is infinitely more useful than RedHat's.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: