Compiling for another system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Compiling for another system Reply with quote

Hi,

Im new to the forums so hi :wave: to everyone around here!

I installed Gentoo Linux last week and am very impressed by it, I now want to place it onto my server, my server is a p166 (see below) and will take a couple of *years* to compile, therefore Id like to put my dual athlons to work. Is it possible for me to take the harddrive out of the server compile the system on the athlons optomised for the P166 and then place the harddrive back in the server?

Will the server have problems as it has different motherboard/network card etc.?

Will all tools still work with different hardware?

What modules do kingston network cards use? :P

Thanks
Shak
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling for another system Reply with quote

Shak wrote:
Is it possible for me to take the harddrive out of the server compile the system on the athlons optomised for the P166 and then place the harddrive back in the server?

Yes. Just make sure that you don't use a 686 tarball, and set the CFLAGS appropriately so that the resulting binaries will run on the P166.

Quote:
Will the server have problems as it has different motherboard/network card etc.?

Does the dual-athlon machine have a running Linux on it? That would help a lot. Otherwise you will have to compile a kernel that will boot both machines, which will be a bit more work. The easiest setup would be if the 2xathlon machine can boot its own kernel, you can chroot into the harddisk destined for the server and do all the work, including making the kernel destined to boot the P166. That way, your 2xathlon machine is still usable as well.

Quote:
Will all tools still work with different hardware?

What in particular are you worrying about? The kernel is the only program that you might have trouble sharing, but hopefully you will be able to set your environment up so that you don't have to. Userland binaries should have no compatibility problems, as the 2xathlon machine can run the P166 binaries.

Quote:
What modules do kingston network cards use?

Without the exact model number, I can't say for sure, but google 'kingston nic linux' whispers 'tulip' in my ear.
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the swift and informative reply, it was very helpful

My 2 x Athlon runs Gentoo Linux and so I can use that, shall I just carry out the installation through the Gentoo system, like I would in ISOLinux in the installer? Or do I need to use ISOLinux and carry out the install on /dev/hdb, I think the latter would be right.

I have done the installation from the stage1 tarball everytime as I thought that would provide better, and faster results. I will therefore change the CFLAGS in make.config to the appropriate setting for the P166, and this should work?

Then when I compile the kernel if I add the tulip support and then hope that this works, if it does not then a compile on the P166 will be a minimal pain for a working system

Thanks
Shak
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shak wrote:
My 2 x Athlon runs Gentoo Linux and so I can use that, shall I just carry out the installation through the Gentoo system, like I would in ISOLinux in the installer? Or do I need to use ISOLinux and carry out the install on /dev/hdb, I think the latter would be right.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by ISOLinux - if it's the install CD, then no. You shouldn't need the install CD. Boot your 2xAthlon from (I'll assume) hda with its normal Gentoo. Make a mountpoint under /mnt for the root of the P166 system - I'll call it /mnt/p166. Partition /dev/hdb, mount /dev/hdb1 (or whatever partition you want to be /) under /mnt/p166, untar whatever tarball you want to use for the P166 install across /mnt/p166, bind-mount /proc at /mnt/p166/proc, copy /etc/resolv.conf into /mnt/p166/etc/, chroot into /mnt/p166 and proceed with the installation from there.

This is by far the easiest way to install Gentoo, IMHO. You will still be able to use your 2xAthlon machine with its normal Gentoo, you can use the existing networking setup from within the chroot jail. You can do the entire install in pieces whenever it is convenient sitting in a little terminal window on your desktop, while you continue using the machine as normal. If you nice your compilation, it probably won't even affect system responsiveness too drastically.

Quote:
I will therefore change the CFLAGS in make.config to the appropriate setting for the P166, and this should work?

Yes. At the risk of stating the obvious, don't change the CFLAGS in the 2xAthlon /etc/make.conf - only in /mnt/p166/etc/make.conf, which will be /etc/make.conf if you are chrooted into /mnt/p166. If you ever feel the urge to mess with any of the files in your working 2xAthlon Gentoo, stop yourself, take a deep breath and reconsider. You shouldn't have to touch a thing outside of the hard disk that will live in the P166 - the Athlon Gentoo is only a host environment.

Quote:
Then when I compile the kernel if I add the tulip support and then hope that this works, if it does not then a compile on the P166 will be a minimal pain for a working system

Yes. If the kernel doesn't work, you will need to boot the P166 with the install CD and fix the kernel on the P166. Delta has written a guide about repairing broken systems using the install CD that you should be able to find with a forum search fairly easily.

Good luck.
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, is it possible, if it goes wrong to repair it from the working system as my server doesnt have a cdrom drive

Shak
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shak wrote:
Thanks again, is it possible, if it goes wrong to repair it from the working system as my server doesnt have a cdrom drive

Sure...just move the harddisk back to the 2xAthlon, chroot in there again and recompile the kernel.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: A tip... Reply with quote

One more thing - you might want to consider copying some of the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles down to /mnt/p166/usr/portage/distfiles - it could save you some download time.
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is /usr/portage/distfiles where portage stores all the downloaded sources? Is there a list of the portage tree somewhere which is searchable? Im having trouble finding mySQL

Thanks once again
Shak
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shak wrote:
Is /usr/portage/distfiles where portage stores all the downloaded sources?

Yes.
Quote:
Is there a list of the portage tree somewhere which is searchable?

I just usually use find and grep across /usr/portage, but see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7509

Quote:
Im having trouble finding mySQL

Code:
# emerge mysql

...should do the trick, and it's in dev-db.
Shak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sir, I will do the install later today :)

Shak
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intersted in doing somehting similar as firewall/router is a 233 currently running slack but would like to run gentoo as I generaly like the *gentoo* way of doing things better. I was cuirous though. If I don't wana move hdds could I create the new mount point to build the new system on a hdd curretnly in my athlon. Do the builds. Tar that entire mount point burn to cd boot of the gentoo disk. Swap cds and extract that tarball? then chroot?
UnderScore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: I was thinkting about this too .... Reply with quote

jthj wrote:
I am intersted in doing somehting similar as firewall/router is a 233 currently running slack but would like to run gentoo as I generaly like the *gentoo* way of doing things better. I was cuirous though. If I don't wana move hdds could I create the new mount point to build the new system on a hdd curretnly in my athlon. Do the builds. Tar that entire mount point burn to cd boot of the gentoo disk. Swap cds and extract that tarball? then chroot?

I think it would work but don't take my word for it.
Hopefully a Gentoo vetran can answer this.

_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: here we go Reply with quote

Well I'm building a i586 system in my chrooted envirometn on my athlon I'm gona attempt to tarball it once I'm done and load it on my 233 I'll let yall know how it goes
jthj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: here we go Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Well I'm building a i586 system in my chrooted envirometn on my athlon I'm gona attempt to tarball it once I'm done and load it on my 233 I'll let yall know how it goes

That was me btw forgot to login first LOL
SanitysEj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: help actually USING binaries Reply with quote

this is the topic I could find closest to my question

I'm looking for instructions (links, direct instructions, etc.) on how to actually use the binaries I make w/ the -b switch to emerge. I'm basically just interested in having all my BIG ebuilds tweaked and ready in case I need to swap hdd's or something.

What directories are they stored in? How do I know which part to save? Once I have them on a cd, how do I go about reinstalling them?

Forgive me for my bash/perl/*NUX ignorance, I do mean to learn all I can though, and pass it on.

Thanx Much!

"Try?! There is no Try!!! There is do, and there is do not!!!!" -YODA
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: