View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: .bashrc & .bash_profile under X Reply with quote

I have searched through the forums to try and find an answer to this but unfortunately I wasn't able to find any relevent information.

I was under the impression that .bashrc and .bash_profile were executed every time a user logs in. But I have found that for some reason they are not getting executed when I log in under X.

The reason why I ask is because I lose a lot of command line functionality when I use the command line under X. For instance, I have no colours, the paths aren't correct, and its just not a nice environment to use. When I log in as my normal user at a command prompt, everything is fine.

When I was using Mandrake changes that I made to my .bash_profile would be reflected the next time I logged in under X and so I had assumed this was normal behaviour. But I guess I don't have something configured correctly. What can I do to get the colours and paths working properly at a command prompt when I log in under X? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

-Chia
LonexWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Use --login Reply with quote

You just have to tell your terminal to use --login as default..

then it will act as the terminal is a login and rad all the .bashrc and environments.
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Use --login Reply with quote

LonexWolf wrote:
You just have to tell your terminal to use --login as default..

then it will act as the terminal is a login and rad all the .bashrc and environments.

Thanks for the info, Lonex, but that didn't help. It didn't make anything any different then when I just start a command shell "the usual way." Strange...

-Chia
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Permissions??? Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it I logged into KDE as root and opened up a Konsole session. Sure enough, the colours and paths were correct - just like they are when logging in at a command prompt. I also noticed that I didn't have a .bashrc or a .bash_profile in /root.

So just for the halibut I renamed .bashrc and .bash_profile in the home directory of my real user, logged out, logged back in but the same thing happens. So I am beginning to think that there is a permissions problem somwhere. But where??

-Chia
ChiaJesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Fixed it.

After doing even more searching I found someone who posted a similar problem. The problem was that I didn't specify a shell for my real user. So I specified /bin/bash and voila, problem solved.

-Chia
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: