After "emerge gcc" no more gcc available
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocbMaurice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: After "emerge gcc" no more gcc available Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm not sure if I did that correctly; maybe it was my fault !??

I installed gentoo from a stage 1 with a lot of problems; but most of them I could solve myself and after some days (yeah, it really took me about 48h to fix these errors, so not really the fastest install yet, but hey it was my first try with gentoo, altough LFS took me just about 20h; and I don't mean compile time, I mean time spending to search errors).

So after that I had a fairly good booting gentoo linux. I had to compile gcc without java (as it, afaik, made some problems at stage 1). So now I wanted to compile gcc with java on, so I edited /etc/make.conf and added java (I actually removed the "-" sign before java). Then I entered "emerge gcc" and It compiled it without a problem, as far as I could see.

But now I have no gcc on my harddisk, cc is available but no gcc ! How could this be ? As you can see, my system is now completely unusable.

So what should I do ?? Getting a static-linked gcc and "emerge gcc" again ? Or bootstrap again (not really wanted, as It took about 2 days to compile here) ?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks, Maurice
Mewso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason to use the search box ;)

With the new version of gcc they introduced a way of running 2.95 and 3.2 at the same time.
gcc-config switches between these, but the version of gcc-config that adds all the links back properly is still masked.

Code:
emerge -u /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc-config/gcc-config-1.3.1.ebuild

Followed by running gcc-config with the name of your compiler (gcc-config --list-profiles will show you all the versions you have)

Code:
gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.1

I also hear running this does good stuff too.

Code:
env-update && source /etc/profile
ocbMaurice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I really tried the search box and also read a lot of threads allready, but nothing that really answers my question. I mean, before the last "emerge gcc" everything went fine (it was using a new 3.2.1 gcc).

I also always did "env-update && source /etc/profile". The problem is I do not have a gcc on my harddisk anywhere (did a find / | grep "gcc$"). So my question would be, how to get a gcc if I do not have one. Of course, I had one before doing "emerge gcc" and this is what makes the whole thing so strange to me.

I'm sorry, I'm a newbie to gentoo so are the emerge things ...

What can I do, why did "emerge gcc" delete my old gcc but didn't create a new one ?? How can I fix this ??

thx, Maurice

ps. I better didn't "emerge gcc", before that everything was working !!!
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the Pitfalls of using GCC 3.2.1-r6?
ocbMaurice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, but I allready compiled my kernel ... with the old gcc, gefore the "emerge gcc" ...

So I do not really see the connection to this thread (beside gcc in general) ?? I mean mostly the talk is about emerge not finding gcc, I really do not have a gcc at all, there simply isn't one !

hmmmmm, 8O , I actually see something that could have caused this, damn. Didn't watch this one, looks like my /usr partition is full. Not sure if it went full while compiling gcc, but ofcourse this could be the problem. Why the f*** had this to happen while exactly compiling gcc; but afaik it didn't show me such a "disk is full" message and I would think that it should abort the whole process if this happens. But ofcourse this could be the source of this very strange problem. I actually feel a bit dumb :oops:

But still I have a question. How do I get a working gcc to re-emerge gcc on my system. Can I boot stage1 CD, then chroot into my main system, do the "env-update && source /etc/profiles" and simply do another emerge gcc ?? Well, I'll check that out and report back.

again, sorry for this dumb thread, I really was quite sure that I did look at all possible problems ...

so long, Maurice
Mewso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised where I remember your name from ^.^
The thread wasn't about kernel compiling, it was to do with gcc appearing to be missing. More than likely, the info in that will apply when you finally get gcc back onto your system anyway.
Looks like you're doing the right thing though. The bootcd contains a compiler you should be able to use to get gcc built on your main system.
You may also find that theres an older gcc in one of the "stage" tarballs.
ocbMaurice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, really seems that it was my fault as I suggested in my very fist sentence in this thread, as it normally is.

I actually extracted the stage1.tar.bz to a new (temporary) location and copied gcc over to my /usr/bin/ directory. Now, emerge gcc seems to run. Maybe there are some other things missing yet, but so far it is going. Will report back if this really solves the problem.

thanks, Maurice

ps. Maybe gentoo install document should better point out how much space is needed for each partition. Looks like my 500MB /usr partition is a lot too small. I allready had to "outsource" some directories to my bigger partitions ...

[edit]yep, this solved my problems, now I do again have a gcc and can continue to compile my stuff :-)[/edit]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: