Accelerated video with Redhat but not Gentoo? hmm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Accelerated video with Redhat but not Gentoo? hmm Reply with quote

Because of PCMCIA not working at all and video only running unaccelerated on my HP Pavilion ZE4115, I decided to install RedHat 7.3 to see if there was any difference.

I passed 'nopcmcia' to the kernel during setup (because otherwise I'm greeted with a kernel panic), as well as 'idebus=66' for this laptop's 66MHz IDE bus. Everything went fine during setup and my video chipset (ATI Mobility IGP 320M or something) wasn't detected (as I expected), so I selected generic VESA support instead. What's weird is, at the end of the installation, the setup wizard allowed me to select 16bpp and 24bpp color (at 1024x768) even though I was supposedly using a generic VESA driver. Once I started X after installation, it was running as if the video was accelerated -- or, at least, much better than the unaccelerated video I had experienced before.

What was the difference between Gentoo and RedHat that caused the performance difference I saw here?
dj_choco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: ATI Mobility U1 on Presario 920us Reply with quote

I got the vesa driver doing 1024 x 768 24bpp in Gentoo :D

I used xf86config and selected the vesa driver. I have not tried running anything that uses acceleration (as far as I know).

How did you set up X in Gentoo originally?
colinb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I don't know what I did wrong before, but X is definitely running less unaccelerated now than it was before. I'm pretty sure it's still not getting full hardware acceleration, but at least it's not using a slow software repaint for everything that happens.

--Colin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: