gentoo on Indigo2 questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebigslide
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: gentoo on Indigo2 questions Reply with quote

I have this indigo2 sitting in my closet that I spent a lot of money on awhile ago and then never got running because I couldn't install irix. I have the install CD and no way of installing it because I only have 1 drive adaptor and carriage.

I understand these things can netboot, and I want to try installing gentoo (tonight). I am a total SGI n00b and I have no clue how to do this on the SGI end of things.

Does anyone have a link to the prom manual? Or want to donate the commands to make it bootp? Also, how do I get it's MAC address from the prom?

Also, can I just make the partitions from the liveCD and copy the kernel off the liveCD, or do I have to do anything 'special' for the SGI?

Sorry for the scattered post, but I am a little excited about this :)
thebigslide
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STFW and found some help :oops: , but the advice of someone who's done this would still be appreciated :)
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Indigo2's unfortunately need a serial console to work -- the framebuffer in most of these boxes is unsupported at this point -- only XL (a.k.a. Newport) graphics works at this point. If you have something else (or you don't see anything when you boot Linux) then you'll need to make/buy one of these cables.

You can find out the graphics chipset being used by typing hinv at the PROM monitor -- it should also be able to tell you what CPU you've got, and other system info.

On the MAC address issue, there are two ways:
(1) On the back of the machine near the SCSI & parallel ports, there's a barcode with the MAC address written on it. (This is the case on my Indy)
(2) Using the PROM monitor -- you can read the MAC address (and set it) using the dump command. Have a look at this page.

The full docs on the PROM monitor can be found here. (Google keywords used: SGI PROM Monitor Manual)

As to the actual installation of Linux... the current guide on the main website recently had its first birthday (translation: it's old). I'm currently rewriting the docs for installation -- my working copy is here. (Note to other Gentoo/MIPS users -- I could use some proofreaders :-))

If you strike problems, let me know... most of it should be reasonably well spelt out.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
thebigslide
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanks, Redhatter. I'll let you know how it goes.
/me clears space on his desk and digs around in the closet for a serial cable or 2 mice...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: