EMERGE + PYTHON = BROKEN EMERGE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: EMERGE + PYTHON = BROKEN EMERGE Reply with quote

Hello,

After 2 attempts of emerging Pysoulseek with a failure return, I get the following error using the emerge command (even without parameters):

!!! Invalid token (not "=") 2000-2002
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2, in ?
import os,sys,portage,xpak,string,re,commands,time,threading,grp
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 468, in ?
settings=config()
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 648, in __init__
useorder=self["USE_ORDER"]
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 713 in _getitem__
if x.has_key(mykey):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'has_key'

I already tried the workaround as described in topic <<I unmerged Python ... ensuing problems https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5746&highlight=unmerging+python
(and my make.globals is still there). Anything else found on the forum using topic unmerging AND python didn't help.

Perhaps this could help
- Pysoulseek depends on wxPython
- the error contains call-backtrace
- wxPython is still in /var/cache/edb/... and /usr/portage/metadata/cache :... .

Kind regards,

A belgian Gentoo user
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.

Forums front page wrote:
Installing Gentoo
If you've finished the install guide, look somewhere else. But if you're still working your way through it, or just need some info before you start your install, this is the place.

pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I really need my emerge,... . And I assume other people have encountered the same problem.

Kind regards,

A belgian Gentoo user
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, portage (emerge) depends on Python, so by unmerging Python, you broke portage. So, to fix this you probably will have to reinstall, unless you can manually reinstall python.
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did not unmerge python. I tried to install a program 3 times but it always ended in a failure. The fourth time, my emerge was broken.

Like I already mentioned, I reinstalled Python as outlined in another topic, but that didn't help.

Kind regards,

A belgian Gentoo user
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I need my emerge for installing emacs and dosfstools so I can go on programming in Lisp. I'm a little impatient, but I have a deadline to make,... .

Kind Regards
A belgian Gentoo user
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I did some more postings-scanning and found a more or less same story as I encountered. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=24937&highlight=emerge+python

This posting however did an emerge -u and got into troubles, while I did an emerge of Pysoulseek, with more the same error-output while attempting to emerge it the first 2 times, but the third time I got the more or less same error as in topic
[url]https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5746&highlight=unmerging+python [/url].

I still wasn't able to figure out the source of the problem (the PC (Athlon 1200 FSB266/Abit 7KTA-RAID/256SDRAM-CL2) is configured for stability and low-noise instead of overclocking and speed, so I stronly doubt it could be a hardware problem).

Ain't there any possibility to work around this problem then just go through the stage 1-2-3 installation and configuration hassle? Ain't there a possibility to do a fresh emerge of some critical programs using the boot-CD's and chroot?

Kind regards,
A belgian Gentoo user[/url]
pinnockio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I found the solution to the problem. I looked in /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py for the string "Invalid token". It was an error message of the function getconfig(mycfg,tolerant=0).

Apparently, this function is called with a config-file as argument. Looking through the code for all the calls to this function also should give me all the configuration files. Which were:
/etc/make.globals
/etc/make.profile/make.defaults
/etc/make.conf
/etc/env.d

In each of this files I searched for the value this error-function returned (i.e. 2000-2002). It seemed that somehow in make.conf the comment token '#' was erased at the first line Copyright 2000-2001 ... . Commenting this sentence back, resolved the problem.

Kind regards,
A belgian Gentoo user
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: