Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
em10k1 and alsa are going to make me BALD!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: em10k1 and alsa are going to make me BALD!!!! Reply with quote

( vent mode on) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Ok i been working on this way to long ( Vent mode off )

System setup
Sound Blaster Live
4 channel speakers

-----------------------------------------------
With alsa

Only Front channels work no rear channels I tried this to get rear channels to work.

Code:

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
alias sound-service-0 emu10k1
post-install soundcore /usr/local/bin/mgr_text -a "Pcm L":"Rear L" &&   /usr/local/bin/mgr_text -a "Pcm R":"Rear R" && /usr/bin/aumix -c R
 post-install ide-cd /usr/bin/aumix -c R

Which dose not work... No one @ Alsa or the Alsa FAQ's have the answer.

---------------------------------------------------
Using latest emu10k1 cvs build

everything works. 4 channels and tone control, but no OSS ...Xine and other apps will not work. After I modprobe sound then everything sounds nasty and half the apps will not play sound.

--------------------------------------------------
Using built in kernel emu10k1 and OSS

Everything works but no tone control!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Has anybody got everything to work? I would realy like to use Creatives drivers because they do sound better and I have better contol over the card. Any help or sugestions would be great!
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've used Alsa, the big problem is that even when removed, a lot of stuff has been built against it (gnome-libs, kde-libs, esound, etc). I've spent the best part of a day grepping a partition to find out which libraries were linked to libasound.la (alsa) and recompiling after unmerging Alsa. Finally, I was able to use the native kernel modules *successfully* with all my apps.

Btw, if you are using Alsa, merge alsamixer, and use the alsamixer utility from a terminal to get the volume up on the rear speakers.

Also, Xine should work without OSS /or/ Alsa. I believe you need to change a few settings in the options screen. With regards to your aliases file. If you have the alsa drivers installed, you should be aliasing snd-emu10k1 and not emu10k1. Alsa installs alternative SBLive driver modules you see. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: