Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Please post in the correct forum!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Please post in the correct forum!!! Reply with quote

Folks --

Please make sure to post your issue in the correct forum. Over the last few days, the number of posts to All Things Gentoo that really should have been posted somewhere else has increased dramatically.

• Desktop Environments is for anything and everything GUI-related.
  • Hardware is for anything and everything hardware-related
  • Networking & Security is for anything and everything related to networking, including network-related server daemons, such as Apache, Samba, NFS, etc.
  • Gentoo Suggestions is for ebuild requests, discussions on making portage better, etc.
At least 40% of the posts in All Things Gentoo instead should be posted to one of those four forums.

The more organized we can keep the forums, the easier it is for people to find the answers to their questions. Before posting a question, please ensure you're posting to the most appropriate forum for your topic.

Thanks.

--kurt

Last edited by klieber on Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Forum title Reply with quote

It does say, "Running Gentoo? Post here." for "All things Gentoo"
You may want to change that to something like "Gentoo-related posts that do not fit will in other forums"
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Forum title Reply with quote

Sivar wrote:
It does say, "Running Gentoo? Post here." for "All things Gentoo"

Yep, and on the main forums page, it also says in big, bold letters:

Quote:
Read this before submitting your first post to any forum

Which, for those folks who are courteous enough to actually read, notice the Forum Guidelines. And in the forum guidelines, it clearly states,

Quote:
If you feel your question could fit in multiple forums, please pick the best one and post there.

Besides, if someone sees 28 different forums, all arranged by subject matter and still can't figure out that a post about KDE should go in the one called Desktop Environments, then I think they have larger issues that they should be focusing on rather than worrying about Gentoo.

--kurt
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's two main reasons people post here instead of where they 'should'.

1. People are lazy. This is a Law of Nature. They don't want to bother to figure out where the post should go. I myself have been guilty of this.

2. This forum gets the most traffic. (See #1) Because of this, posts here are more likely to get a response, because more people will see the post.
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Forum title Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Yep, and on the main forums page, it also says in big, bold letters:

Quote:
Read this before submitting your first post to any forum

How many people actually read the forum guidelines? Apparently not wnough, as if they did there would be less posts for other forums in the main forum. Besides, as Utoxin said, people are generally lazy.

Quote:
Besides, if someone sees 28 different forums, all arranged by subject matter and still can't figure out that a post about KDE should go in the one called Desktop Environments, then I think they have larger issues that they should be focusing on rather than worrying about Gentoo.

Heheh, probably true, but that would require that they actually think about it (even a little). Many people likely have some problem, try different things to fix it, get frustrated and look on Gentoo's webpage, find the forums link, and post it in the first forum that they see )or the one with the most posts, if they want to get an answer as quickly as possible). In this case, they are one in the same.
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I argree with Utoxim, I have posted things in Networks and Security that have very simple answer that I simply didn't know, but many people do, and it takes 4-5 hours to get an answer, whereas in All Things Gentoo, it takes about 2 minutes. Furthermore, I recently had a post about CD-R software moved from all things gentoo to desktop environments, and most of the replies/thread had to do with command line tools, which I hardly charactarize as "X or anything that runs on it". And in fact the solution to the problem was with those command line tools, so the solution had nothing to do with Desktop Environments... If you don't want a catch-all, then don't have a catch-all, but don't blame people for using it if its there!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the forum be moved down in the list so it wasn't one of the first things seen? Then name it, 'If it doesn't fit above, and is Gentoo related, post here.' :)
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's about we instruct all the regulars to not respond to posts that dont belong? it's kinda mean but eventually people might stop.

then again gentoo's getting kinda popular and has newcomers every day i'm sure... i dunno.....

ryan
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get a response in other foums. If i need an answer i post here or in Desktop Environments. I know we have these other forums, but If they aren't checked, why bother.
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people like me scan all forums,
not for very much longer if the bad habit of OT-Posting
continues.
maybe I'm to old fashioned, but I see on topic posts as an act of politness, and I'm getting mad on all these newbie posts cluttering the other forums.
forums-search and google search is the least I expect before a "
I have a problem, please help" post without any vital information.

I'll leave this forum in the next few weeks if the behaviour doesn't change significantly.

regards,
tom
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this post did no good whatsoever in reducing the amount of crap in ATG. So, this is the next step.

To those folks who suggested posting in ATG because that has the most traffic or elicits the quickest response; that is not a good excuse to post items in the wrong forum. The only reason ATG has the most traffic is because people refuse to post in the right forum to begin with. It's very much a chicken-and-egg problem -- the other forums will not get more traffic until people start posting there more. However, people won't start posting there more until it gets more traffic.

Anyway, with the new forum policy, we're forcing the issue. I'm locking and un-sticking this thread.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: