"29 config files in /etc need updating" & etc-
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: "29 config files in /etc need updating" & etc- Reply with quote

These might be unrelated, but still

I have had a bit of a problem with the config-files in /etc. There are now 29 config files in /etc that need updating (as told by emerge). What do I do with them? There is help available (emerge --help config), but it didn't really help. What should I do with them? The number of those files keeps on increasing.

Also, when I run etc-update, it provides my with a long list (26 files) of files and asking me to edit them. Ummm... What should I do with? I can

1) Replace original with update
2) Delete update, keeping original as is
3) Interactively merge original with update
4) SHow differences again

I haven't heard of this before :oops:
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge does not replace sensitive config files, i.e. those in /etc. Instead it creates a file with a different name, i.e instead of overwriting rc.conf, it creates a ._0000_rc.conf (or something like that).

If you run etc-update it finds these files and asks you what to do. It also prints the differences.

In the end you can overwrite the files and manually reconfigure them or delete the new version and keep yours.

If the only difference between the files are your edits, keep the old one. If not note what to edit from the old file and replace, then correct the new file,
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at what is the best way to handle the situatiion :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to read up on CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK as it will allow you to specify directories where you want the config files to simply be over written after an emerge. This is helpful for thing that you don't manually change because you typically don't want to see that you have 35 files to update with etc-update. :)
Dalrain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you need to be mindful to not allow it full access, as things like /etc/fstab have been overwritten in this way in the past. Having that changed over to the defaults can cause a lot of interesting problems...
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion: You probably updated baselayout since that caused a lot of etc updates for me here. Generally it were just updates in the comment headers (for example "2002" was changed to "2003").

Tristam29: With the new portage version (r11 and higher IIRC -- I'm running r12 now), there is now an option available in /etc/etc-update.conf which should take care of such trivial etc updates as changes in the comments.

Code:

# Whether trivial/comment changes should be automerged
eu_automerge="yes"

This might be useful for some of you, since it will reduce the amount of needed etc-updates for you to check over. It's default is set to "yes".

However if you like to check out every change portage makes in your /etc/ , the way I like it, be sure to set it to "no".
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
Tristam29: With the new portage version (r11 and higher IIRC -- I'm running r12 now), there is now an option available in /etc/etc-update.conf which should take care of such trivial etc updates as changes in the comments.
Good point. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also this FAQ entry. It needs to be completed, though.
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following strategy for cleaning out the need-to-be-updated-files,

I first check for important files I don't want to overwrite: fstab, groups, make.conf etc. I always check if there are important new lines in it, (show differences) after this I decide to complete get rid of the new update or i merge the new lines in the config file.

after that I check the rest, when I never touched the config file that needs to be updated i quickly look at the new lines and just use the new one.

If i did touch the original of configfile I look in it and decide if i want to update or just delete the new config file, it happens very often that it's just the default of the config file:
for example '/etc/conf.d/net' when this is one of the need-to-be-updated-files and you look into it you just see the default file with the default IP's and commented gateway, you don't want to update those files :)

some tips:
NEVER go on auto-pilot-mode with etc-update , you don't want to accidently delete your fstab and reboot or make.conf and discover it after weeks of emerging new files.

do etc-update everytime you see that one of your config files isn't up-to-date, look into bugs.gentoo.org and search for baselayout 'bugs' for results of ignoring etc-update
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exci wrote:
I use the following strategy for cleaning out the need-to-be-updated-files,

As an addition:

I daily run (cron) a little script that backs up /etc and a few more interesting files. It is less than 500 kB per day and takes 5 seconds, and in case something really gets b0rked, I can easily restore the original file(s).

tar cfz /path/to/backupfilename-`date +%d%m%y`.tar.gz -P /etc
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
Evangelion: You probably updated baselayout since that caused a lot of etc updates for me here. Generally it were just updates in the comment headers (for example "2002" was changed to "2003").

Well, the number has been creeping up, they didn't appear all of the sudden. First I had few (3-5) files that needed upgrading, and it went up from there.
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atm I have baselayout version 1.8.6.2 installed.
After running emerge rsync the previous version is comming up in a emerge -p world.

I'm missing a few /dev/* files after the upgrade to 1.8.6.2
Should I downgrade to 1.8.5.8 of leave it as it is?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar, I recommend you downgrade. 1.8.6.2 was masked after it was released, as it was causing lots of problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: