Problems emerging packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfour20
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Problems emerging packages Reply with quote

I have been having some trouble getting packages to emerge properly. The first signs of this problem were when I tried to emerge kde. The box ended up hung after quite a while (several days). This is for a pIII 450. When the box was hung, there was no response at all to my ssh session, new sessions could not be initiated, and apache (which was running before i started) would not respond either, but the box would respond to pings. I ended up having to power it down (ugh!). When `emerge kde` didn't work like I wanted, I did an `emerge -p kde` to list the individual packages that would be merged. I then tried to `emerge -u qt` after `emerge sync`. This also died and locked the machine up in the same manner. I then (after much futzing around) tried a few other things. There were some applications that I was able to emerge without any trouble (tightvnc being one of them). I then tried to `emerge -u world` and the box locked up, with the following text left on the console I was connected through (all services were stopped before I began this):
Quote:
gcc -DDEFAULT_BASEDIR=\"/usr\" -DDATADIR="\"/var/lib/mysql\"" -DDEFAULT_CHARSET_HOME="\"/usr\"" -DDATADIR="\"/var/lib/mysql\"" -DSHAREDIR="\"/usr/share/mysql\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./../include -I../include -I.. -I. -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -mcpu=i686 -pipe -O3 -c `test -f my_create.c || echo './'`my_create.c
source='my_seek.c' object='my_seek.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/my_seek.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/my_seek.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../depcomp \
gcc -DDEFAULT_BASEDIR=\"/usr\" -DDATADIR="\"/var/lib/mysql\"" -DDEFAULT_CHARSET_HOME="\"/usr\"" -DDATADIR="\"/var/lib/mysql\"" -DSHAREDIR="\"/usr/share/mysql\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./../include -I../include -I.. -I. -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -mcpu=i686 -pipe -O3 -c `test -f my_seek.c || echo './'`my_seek.c

Very perplexed at this behavior, I performed another `emerge rsync` which worked without incident, then I tried to `emerge mysql`, which left the following data up on my ssh client when the box hung:
Quote:
javax/transaction/.libs/Transaction.o javax/transaction/.libs/TransactionManager.o javax/transaction/.libs/TransactionRequiredException.o javax/transaction/.libs/TransactionRolledbackException.o javax/transaction/.libs/UserTransaction.o java/lang/.libs/ConcreteProcess.o gnu/classpath/.libs/Configuration.o java/lang/.libs/dtoa.o java/lang/.libs/k_rem_pio2.o java/lang/.libs/s_tan.o java/lang/.libs/e_acos.o java/lang/.libs/k_sin.o java/lang/.libs/strtod.o java/lang/.libs/e_asin.o java/lang/.libs/k_tan.o java/lang/.libs/w_acos.o java/lang/.libs/e_atan2.o java/lang/.libs/mprec.o java/lang/.libs/w_asin.o java/lang/.libs/e_exp.o java/lang/.libs/s_atan.o java/lang/.libs/w_atan2.o java/lang/.libs/e_fmod.o java/lang/.libs/s_ceil.o java/lang/.libs/w_exp.o java/lang/.libs/e_log.o java/lang/.libs/s_copysign.o java/lang/.libs/w_fmod.o java/lang/.libs/e_pow.o java/lang/.libs/s_cos.o java/lang/.libs/w_log.o java/lang/.libs/e_rem_pio2.o java/lang/.libs/s_fabs.o java/lang/.libs/w_pow.o java/lang/.libs/e_remainder.o java/lang/.libs/s_floor.o java/lang/.libs/w_remainder.o java/lang/.libs/e_scalb.o java/lang/.libs/s_rint.o java/lang/.libs/w_sqrt.o java/lang/.libs/e_sqrt.o java/lang/.libs/s_scalbn.o java/lang/.libs/sf_rint.o java/lang/.libs/k_cos.o java/lang/.libs/s_sin.o java/lang/.libs/sf_fabs.o .libs/boehm.o .libs/posix-threads.o .libs/posix.o -Wl,--whole-archive ../boehm-gc/.libs/libgcjgc_convenience.a ../libffi/.libs/libffi_convenience.a ./libltdl/.libs/libltdlc.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -L/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src -L/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libjava ../boehm-gc/.libs/libgcjgc_convenience.a ../libffi/.libs/libffi_convenience.a -lpthread ./libltdl/.libs/libltdlc.a -ldl -lz -L/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/gcc -L/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin -L/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/../../.. -lgcc_s -lc -lgcc_s /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.2.1-r6/work/build/gcc/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/../../../crtn.o -Wl,-soname -Wl,libgcj.so.3 -o .libs/libgcj.so.3.0.0

So now I am stumped. Are there logs on the system that will tell me what went wrong with the emerge? Every time the box stopped responding, I (out of desperate hope) waited until there was no hdd activity on the box, in case the compiling was just taking up all the cpu. Are there any parameters I can change that will give me more information? Please let me know what I can do to get this working, because I love gentoo so far. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

-qfour20
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: