Sound on an Ultra 5 2.6.7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadlyMuffin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Sound on an Ultra 5 2.6.7 Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before, I'm having some trouble searching the forums.

I'm running an Ultra 5 with the development-sources kernel, 2.6.7, and everything works, except for sound. Alsa support is compiled in, with OSS emulation and the driver for the sound on Ultra 5s, CS something I believe.

XMMS doesn't work at all in OSS mode, and using esound it plays twice as fast as it should, and very crackily. If someone could share their kernel config and settings, that'd be awesome. I'm getting really frusterated with this thing.
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cs4231 sound driver for the onboard chip in most recent Sparcs (from SS10/20 on) is broken in 2.6 kernels, use a 2.4 kernel. The OSS driver in xmms doesn't really work that well for me, I use esound. Couple of notes/issues:

1) XMMS' oss driver will work if you fire up the esd driver first, play something (no real length is needed - it's the playback parameters being set that matters), then switch to OSS and it will work. I filed a XMMS bug about this and it apparently isn't being dealt with.

2) The esound driver has a race condition that really seems to manifest itself often on my Ultra 1, resulting in an error when playback starts/switches to another track. There's a patch in a xmms bug that adds some retries to the esound driver as a hack to more or less avoid this just by brute force. I can find the bug number for you if you want the patch.
DeadlyMuffin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible then to run a pci sound card? I'd really like to have sound on this machine, but I want to stick with 2.6, mostly for the better cd-burning support (no more scsi emulation).
spam_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadlyMuffin wrote:
Would it be possible then to run a pci sound card? I'd really like to have sound on this machine, but I want to stick with 2.6, mostly for the better cd-burning support (no more scsi emulation).

WIth luck, yes. You really have to try it. Be warned, when I tried a Soundblaster Live (emu10k1 driver) in my U10 the driver complained that the PCI DMA transfer mode the card wanted wasn't supported, so it wouldn't work. You may have better luck with other cards though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: