CUPS-1.1.16 Update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle-Eye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: CUPS-1.1.16 Update Reply with quote

Hi,

(I have the same problem as described in article https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18403&highlight=cups+1+1+16 but I had trouble following it in German.)

The problem is that when starting the system it hangs at the point where cupsd is started and will not continue to boot. I had to start the system with a rescue disk and then remove it from default-runlevel.

After booting the system I have tried to start the cupsd again. It responds to the start-command (init-script) but it doesn't give the command-prompt back to the user.

I have also runned into a problem while adding a printer (using the web interface) - I receive
Quote:
Error:
client-error-not-authorized

after I have selected the printer-model.

I have also tried to re-emerge cupsd a few times but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have a clue what might be wrong?
Cthulu23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. After updating to CUPS-1.1.16, I overwrote my config files, but this shouldn't prevent me from adding a new printer. Anyone have any ideas?
hertog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem here (not the locking at starting cups, but the client-error-not-authorized one)

Also, older versions of cups recognized what USB printer I had hanging on the bus, this one just gives USB1 .. USB 15 printer.

I managed to get the whole lot working by installing the foomatic stuff, and read the USAGE file in there... NOTE!: foomatic is not part of Gentoo, but can be downloaded from www.linuxprinting.org
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system is hosed now because it hangs on "Starting cupsd..." (guess who didn't create a rescue disk?).

Has anyone managed to figure out what the hell is causing this? Or how to bypass that hanging daemon during bootup?

I'm really p*ssed off about this.
ghost_o
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know why, but the cupsd daemon in 1.1.16 does not automatically go into the background and give control back to init. You can simply put a "&" at the end of the start line of the /etc/init.d/cupsd script, or you can turn it off from being started automatically as a temporary fix.

-G
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I managed to get around the hanging daemon and back into my system. Here's how I did it for all you wretched noobs who ever find yourselves in the same position.

Boot from your Gentoo 1.2 or 1.4 CD.
Follow your nose until you get to a # prompt.
Then mount your filesystem and edit your default runlevel to remove the offending daemon, like this:
# cd /mnt
# mkdir xx
# mount /dev/hda<something> xx
# cd ./xx/etc/runlevels/default
# rm cupsd
<-- this will remove the guilty daemon from your default runlevel
# cd
# sync; sync
# umount /mnt/xx

Reboot.

# rc-update del cupsd default <-- this will tidy up the cupsd left-overs

Still haven't got to the bottom of the hanging daemon, I'll report back with my findings.
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ghost_o.

Still haven't figured this out. It's obviously beyond my ken.

All I know is running /usr/sbin/cupsd from the command line blocks until I type CTRL-C. Whilst the command is blocking, a ps -ef | grep cups shows two cups daemons running. Every time 8O
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having problems with cups. The prints are simply sh***t.

@hertog:
You did it with the foomatic-stuff.
This didnt work for me either.
Adter downloading foomatic-tarball i did ./configure; make; make install
and everything looked fine so far. Configuration with port 631 also didnt report any errors.
Still, the printer output is crap. So i checked the install of foomatic and found no files in /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/printers . Do you have different files for every printer in /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/printers ?

Greets
Sulu
ghost_o
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bOOyahkASHa wrote:
Thanks ghost_o.

All I know is running /usr/sbin/cupsd from the command line blocks until I type CTRL-C. Whilst the command is blocking, a ps -ef | grep cups shows two cups daemons running. Every time 8O

edit the following:
/etc/init.d/cupsd

Modify the following line:
start() {
ebegin "Starting cupsd"
--> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/cupsd &
eend $?
}

Put the & at the end..

-G
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I already tried that Ghost, but I end up with two cups daemons running. And I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work :?
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my machine seems to print OK -- test pages from CUPS admin, docs from Open Office...I guess two daemons seems to work.
milkypostman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost_o wrote:
bOOyahkASHa wrote:
Thanks ghost_o.

edit the following:
/etc/init.d/cupsd

Modify the following line:
start() {
ebegin "Starting cupsd"
--> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/cupsd &
eend $?
}

Put the & at the end..

-G

Rather than do this you should add the --background parameter as such.
start() {
ebegin "Starting cupsd"
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --background --exec /usr/sbin/cupsd
eend $?
}

PS: if you check in /etc/init.d you will probably see a ._cfg____ file for cupsd. I believe they updated the startup script but since you had it (like i did) it was using the old one? maybe ..... anyways that worked for me! but i do have two processes running.
bOOyahkASHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Milky, that --background switch works fine for me too. And yes, like you, I now have two cups daemons running as before. Oh well, CUPS seems to work anyway.

And no, there were no unactioned ._cfg* files from my recent emerge update :?

Shame.
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: No need for foomatic Reply with quote

Theres no need to use foomatic for ppd files. You can generate them online at the cups website. Also I had the error-client-not-authorized error too I had to switch to cups 1.1.14 in order to avoid it. From what I've heard on #gentoo a lot of people have been having this prob.
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that --background thing worked for me.
On foomatic -- It is now in portage.
I hadn't needed to print anything, and had forgotten to get around to setting things up.
Then during an 'emerge -pu world', I saw that emerge wanted to install foomatic.
So I let it. Then finished setting things up, only to have my comp refuse to start the next day (today) when it made it to cups.
But problem solved. Thanks again :D
patkc66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: No need for foomatic Reply with quote

Bytal wrote:
Theres no need to use foomatic for ppd files. You can generate them online at the cups website. Also I had the error-client-not-authorized error too I had to switch to cups 1.1.14 in order to avoid it. From what I've heard on #gentoo a lot of people have been having this prob.

I've been following the desktop installation guide and tried to set CUPS up to print to my Canon BJC-6000 printer on /dev/lp0 today. I got that error when I tried to run the foomatic-configure command. When I looked at http://localhost:631/ though, the printer queue had been set up anyway. So I went ahead and used that to modify things and set them up on the parallel printer port.

The CUPS configuration page set the output port to canon:/dev/lp0 and said everything was fine, though it would not let me print the test page, claiming I wasn't authorized to do that (despite being logged in as root. Go figure...) I did find the file it prints as the test page though in /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps, so I just sent it through lpr. Things started to print but then the printer just stopped and the foomatic filter hung, keeping the port busy.

I checked the error log at /var/log/cups/error_log and noticed that it had a message in it that said "add_printer: File device URIs have been disabled! To enable, see the FileDevice directive in cupsd.conf." I edited cupsd.conf and enabled FileDevice (and noticed from the comments that this apparently is a security risk). I then used the http: interface to the CUPS daemon to configure the printer again, only making it send the output to file:/tmp/CanonBJC6000 so I could generate a file containing the raster output.

I sent the testprint.ps file through lpr again to create the raster file. That worked fine, and the queue entry finished "printing" in a few seconds or so. So it looked like the hanging wasn't in the filter by itself anyway. I then sent the output file it created directly to /dev/lp0 to see if it would print properly or get hung there, thinking that maybe it was generating invalid data for the printer and the printer was choking on it. But that printed fine as well. So I reconfigured the print queue one more time so it sends its data to file:/dev/lp0 instead of file:/tmp/CanonBJC6000 and printed the test file once again. Things came out of the printer just fine.

I guess my question is this: Why is the foomatic filter hanging when it tries to send the output to the printer using the standard CUPS parallel printer setting instead of the FileDevice method that appears to be a security risk?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: