Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
USB Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical (mouse and keyboard)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: USB Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical (mouse and keyboard) Reply with quote

Just curious as to whether anyone has gotten the cordless keyboard and mouse to work using the usb connector for both the keyboard and mouse. The instructions for usb keyboards and mice look easy enough, but I think it's different for this combo because both the keyboard and the mouse use the same usb connector. Anyways, I spent about two hours trying with no luck.

Also, does it really matter if I use USB as opposed to PS/2? Does the mouse really move more smoothly with USB? That's the only reason I want to try this. I was hoping to improve my FPS gameplay (although the mouse is already pretty damn smooth with PS/2).
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS/2 has supremely limited bandwidth compared to USB. I you want a faster response from your mouse, go for USB. As for plugging both devices into the same USB port, that shouldnt be a problem - you should see them show up as seperate devices in your kernel's output, as the keyboard will act like a USB Hub.
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Logitech Wireless Navigator Duo and it works great! I had problems with PS/2 because it seemed to lock my system up when the mouse and keyboard suspended. I was also having problems with USB, but it was fixed by building the full HID support and HID input layer support into the kernel rather than just keyboard and mouse support. Other than that though, it works very well and I even have the extra keys on top working with hotkeys. Check out this post for what you'll need to do: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Works! Reply with quote

Thanx for the info. I followed your guide and everything now works. One thing I forgot (which makes me feel like an idiot) was to enable USB support in my BIOS. Oh well, all is good now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: