Dual Booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbishop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Dual Booting Reply with quote

Whats shakin ladys and gents?

I just got a new laptop and i tried putting bsd on it but unfortunatly it didnt like the mouse.. :(

It was a very sad day. Anyway.. I havent really been a big linux fan. I ran Debian for a while and I have to say thats a very nice distro. If I wasnt able to use bsd I would use Debian.

I checked out Gentoo a while ago and Ive been too lazy to try it out, but seeing that I cant get bsd working, this sounded like good time to check it.

The question I had was before I start, is there any advice or anything I should look out for when dual booting this distro? When creating drive slices or anything?

Thanks to everyone, and I hope to have this running soon.

I have to say though... damn.. thats one ugly install... Its nice to be able to do everything youself, but some things could be automated and not lose configurability (if thats a word) :)

Peace,
M

Please ignore all spelling or grammer mistakes.. Im in a hurry and too lazy to look over it. : )
swingarm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual Booting is outlined in the install guide, thats what I followed when I installed on my dual boot Laptop. For the record what I did was install WinXP on hda1 and make a Fat32 partition on hda2. When I installed Gentoo I used Fdisk to make a boot partition(hda3) and then an extended partition(hda4) with swap(hda5) and root(hda6) in it. When I got to the Grub portion of the install I just had to follow their template and it works. I know their are more variations on how to do this but this is simple for Me to remember. The instsall guide is really nice and easy to follow.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual booting Gentoo and what, exactly? You didn't say in your post, are you trying to keep a legacy Windows installation, or planning to put something more versatile on top?

I've heard any number of reasons for installing Gentoo so far, but "I can't get BSD working" wasn't one of them. :D What laptop model do you have? I suggest you throw Gentoo onto extended partitions, leave a primary slice open for a BSD installation at a later stage, and go check if you can find help for the mouse issue on one of the BSD support channels: I've seen ACPI-related laptop mouse problems (and their solutions) flying around the freebsd-current mailing list a lot, for example. Let us know if you manage to install Linux and BSD on the same machine for a direct comparison, then we can try and make you say something nice about Gentoo in public... :twisted:
mrbishop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate,

haha.. Yeah.. Ive looked at all the mailing lists, newsgroups, irc channels, forums, etc, etc looking for fixes for my mouse. I found quite a bit of advice, but none of it worked. I have a toshiba satellite 1110.

Yes.. I have XP on the other partition (a very small partition). The only reason for that is because I do graphic design for people and the software doesnt run under *nix. Yeah.. windows sucks, but oh well.. :P

I didnt get a chance to try gentoo yet. Work had me too busy last night. Ill check it out and let you guys know how it goes. : )

Peace,
M
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: